For Ancient Rome, Buried Treasure Means an Empire in Crisis

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Very interesting story, So let me see if I get this right. If we use a mathmatical formula to determine hoards of coins to the decline or wars in civilizations. We could expect to find x number hoards with a declined in say 500,000 population. If we take that and apply it across the thousands of years of civilization we could actually expect to have an average hoards per say battle. If there are say no battles in the area for say 100 years the total number of hoards would be less.
This would make me wonder no only of the number of the hoards but the quantity and the types of items buried in the hoards.

K

Kentucky Kache

It's not about war only, but any kind of unrest and instability which people fear.
Think about what all has happened here in our own country.

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Well you might be right there, but just think, are people going to stash as much hoards during normal times? During comfortable times people are going to keep their valuables, good things out in their homes, on their person. Then they experience something like a flood, famine or volcano erupting or mudslides, or fires and do not have time to hoard their valuables away. When time of crisis happens specifically wars then they don't want the invading parties, armies, thieves taking their stuff. Thus additional hoards are buried. Just like happen here in the US during the Revolutionary War, and Civil War, and wars anywhere for that matter. Just a thought.

K

Kentucky Kache

The fear of war, the fear of banks going under, fear of things like what happened in 1933 with the gold becoming illegal to own, etc.

Shiloh1

Mar 9, 2009
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People hid what they had during times of war or hardship. Even to the point of distress, for the people and the civilizations, you can find what they left behind. It is amazing how much the earth is covering. :icon_pirat: :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread