West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Wouldn't I be excited! Just goes to show, the finds are still out there! - Ex

Jody Murphy October 11, 2009
Parkersburg News and Sentinel
http://www.newsandsentinel.com/page/content.detail/id/522568.html?nav=5061

Man finds Civil War medal while tilling

WALKER -A Walker man tilling his turnip patch uncovered a Civil War-era medal.

Brent Jones recently was working the garden when his rototiller kicked up a metal object.

"It was perfectly round, not a rock," he said. "I kicked the dirt off of it."

Jones thought maybe it was a coin. He took the object inside and cleaned it.

"I saw the state of West Virginia on it and dates prior to statehood. I thought it had to be something from the Civil War, but I still didn't know what it was."

Jones turned to his computer.

Searching the Internet, he quickly discovered the object was an 1866, state-issued, bronze Civil War medal for Union soldiers.

Further inspection revealed the medal was an honorable discharge medal issued to Alonzo T. Morriston, Corp. 13th Reg. Inf. Vol.

The medal is one of about 26,000 commissioned in 1866 by the state.

Greg Carroll, historian for the West Virginia Division of Culture and History, said Gov. Arthur Boreman commissioned three classes of medals: Class I for honorable discharges; Class II for killed in action; and Class III for liberty, which was awarded to soldiers who perished as a result of disease or wounds received in battle.

Carroll said the medals are fairly valuable, worth anywhere from a $400 to more than $1,000.

Morriston's medal was Class I.

Carroll said the state still has about 4,000 unclaimed Civil War medals, including 75 medals for black soldiers who were members of the 45th U.S. Infantry.

"Most of them are in the original box," he said.

Jones admits he is no history buff. To his knowledge the land has no ties to Civil War campaigns.

"A guy I work with came out here a few years ago with a metal detector and all he found was junk," Jones said.

However, the land was once owned by the Morriston family and there are still Morristons in the area.

Jones' mother attends church in Leachtown with Fonda Morriston. After Jones told his mother about the medal, she called Morriston.

"She asked me if I ever heard of Alonzo T. Morriston and I said yes," Morriston said.

Morrison said her late husband, Mason J. Morriston Jr., was Alonzo Morriston's grandson.

"I have books that tell about him in the Morriston family history, written about 1946," Morriston said.

Jones gave the medal to his mother to give to Morriston. But Morriston has yet to receive it. She fell several weeks ago and hasn't been to church.

Morriston said Jones can keep the medal if he wants it. She plans to donate it to a veterans organization.

"My son thought it should go to a veteran's museum, where others can see it," she said.

Attachments

• WV Civil War Medal.jpg
    WV Civil War Medal.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,223

Sandpit

Jan 28, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Nautilus 2Ba & Tejon
Re: Man Finds WV Civil War Medal While Tilling

Unbeliveable the ribbon would be in that condition after so many year in the ground. Great find.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It had the ribbon on it???? Must have been lost in the last year then. I would not donate it to a museum where it will be lost. The National Medal of Honor Museum wanted to display my dads Flight jacket from the mighty 8Th AAC. That was before we had a true air force and they were flying the b-24 and 28 He flew it in all his missions. The next year the museum moved and may people were upset their family items got lost.
My point being talk the family into preserving their own history lest it be lost.
MHO
TnMtns

OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter

Interesting observations and I hadn't considered the condition of the ribbon, if indeed the picture is of the found medal, the article doesn't specify that. I may be able to contact the reporter and ask about the picture.

Would the ribbon be made of silk?

I looked at the link this morning and found this question in the comments section:

Do you have a web site where I can find out how to claim this medal for my family ?

Not sure if this person wants to claim this particular medal, or apply to have one awarded posthumously. (if the latter is even possible)

OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter

Update:

Got a reply back from Jody. Below is a pic of the actual medal that was found.

No, they people who laid out the section used a photo of one of the unclaimed medals from the state's division of History and Culture.
The photos of the medal, which are from Bob Enoch of the Wood County Historical Society has the medal - without the ribbon - on a rock.
I enclosed a picture Enoch took of the actual medal.
Thanks
Jody

Thanks Jody!

I would be searching the garden for the rest of the medal!

Attachments

• actual civil war medal resized.JPG
    actual civil war medal resized.JPG
    255.2 KB · Views: 2,051

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread