For anyone who watched "The Colony"

B

BigDan

For anyone who watched "The Colony"

They are taking videos from people who want to be on season two. My complaint from the first season was that the mix of engineers, doctors, computer geniouses, etc. was not a "mix" of modern society. They haven't learned...it seems. They are looking for...engineers, doctors, etc., again.

Leaves me out. I can only hunt, fish, trap, camp in the cold and/or heat. No I don't know how to make fuel for a camp stove...I can only make fire and cook on it.

But, if anyone else is interested. Let me know and I'll get the link.

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
Re: For anyone who watched "The Colony"

Yeah I can not go on either I am a few credits short on my doctorate also. To bad I roast rat better than Emeril! That show was terrible. A whole episode making a shower, now that's roughing it.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I never heard of this show, what station does it air on? From what I can gather from the two posts is that they are looking for people that have no clue in being resourceful. Having been in the Boy Scouts for most of my adolescence, I think I would also be disqualified as I would bring too much to the table. There isn't much the Scouts didn't teach you: archery, pioneering, cooking, edible plants, survival, trailing, tracking, etc... As for an episode making a shower, unless they had to make a pump and generator, the average person would have figured that out in under 10 seconds. Perhaps they want book smart; common sense, stupid

OP
OP
B

BigDan

It was on the Discovery Channel

Set in a warehouse called, "Sanctuary", in LA, with several people supposedly representing a mix of persons from our modern culture. The premise was some virus had hit and many, many folk were dead.

There were marauders, (actors), persons begging for food and water, (actors). Each episode covered some important "build"...such as getting a truck running, making a water filter, they went so far as to build a wood "gasifier" so they could run their generator on wood. The builds were cool, but this was no SHTF scenario.

The people included an IBM computer genious, (who was an all out bank of odd knowledge and creativity) a fabricator, three engineers, a Doctor, a nurse, a handyman or two. And others.

The idea of Shelter, security, food, water, was touched on but never the main point to the show.

I did have some internet contact with many of the people who were on the show and most seemed very genuine and very nice.

But, my complaint was always, where's the survivalist? Where's the sportsman? And it seems the show is intent on finding the same mix of skills for season two.

http://www.realitywanted.com/shows/the-colony

There's the link if anyone wants to apply.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the premise of the show. What would really be the most interesting to watch is a show where the people were pretty much everyday Joe's, with little knowledge of engineering, computers, and even survival skills. A regular Joe that knows how to use a hammer, drive a car without the knowledge of being able to fix one, etc... It would be more interesting to see how these people can cope and survive than casting a show with people well educated in several different fields. That my friend would be the real world experience and a true test of human endurance and ingenuity.

OP
OP
B

BigDan

I agree Spartacus

(I, agree, Spartacus? Words I'm sure I've never strung together before! ;D)

I would love to watch a show where everyday people are faced with the same situation. I'd hoped after season one the producers would have adjusted their sights a bit.

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia

Being a boy scout is a automatic reject slip from the show. From the first few episodes so was common sense. Does anyone remember when they found the crate of harbor freight tools. HINKY

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Spooky said:
that show was a turd.

Overly dramatized BS.

It was A mixture of Survivor and Jerry Springer.
You forgot Orange County Chopper......... :help:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Leaves me out. I can only hunt, fish, trap, camp in the cold and/or heat. No I don't know how to make fuel for a camp stove...I can only make fire and cook on it.

By the way Dan, I can really help you with this one, it's easy. WOOD :tongue3: :laughing9:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Spooky said:
hmmm..
THIS is interesting...

I got an email from someone named 'Alicia'
asking me if I was 'interested"
I looked her up, and she appears to be legit...
(Some background.... I write survival related 'stuff' for several publications)

So, I gave her a little "reply"

Hi Alicia!!

You mean you are looking for participants to pit against one another and cash in on the recent commercialization of "survivalism?"
People you can encourage to argue and bicker and goad into making a show that is ostensibly about 'surviving" when it's REALLY a combination of the Jerry Springer show and 'survivor?"

A show that invariably devolves into interpersonal BS and bickering, using the "latest fad" as a convenient backdrop?

I'm sure you'll find some sell out that is looking to ride the wave after the show and work it into a career as a 'motivational speaker"

Count me IN!!!!

And BOY, I wish there was a 'sarcasm font'....

People like you do more harm than good to those of us who take this stuff seriously, and quite frankly ma'am, the majority of us can't wait til you latch on to something ELSE.

But you're not looking for 'Real survivalists" are you? You're looking for blustering obnoxious posers who will make your show interesting..

Because a REAL "survivalist" won't be ANYTHING like what you want for your "show"
What you will GET is a loudmouthed fraud.
A real "survivor" (Whatever THAT is) won't claim to BE anything..
In fact, you wouldn't notice them at ALL... THAT is the POINT.

You should just use actors, because when you ADVERTISE, that's what you are going to get.

Hey Spooky, go easy on me. My alas is Alicia, and I just thought you were perfect for the show. So just pack your bags, taping begins this April.

I can tell you, I'd jump at the chance and get booted off before the first show ever aired.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread