Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I got into metal detecting I had no intention of making a profit, rather to discover what was under the grouind just for fun and to have some interesting artifacts. I had no intention of selling my finds and that fact rermains to this day. I have given some of my finds away to loved ones and friends but wouldn't think of taking payment for them. I might trade a few things here and there if someone needs something I have to make a set, etc. I plan to one day put all my finds in a few display boxes and hang them on the wall of my den as a converstion piece. I was just wondering how many of you actually got into metal detecting with the intent of making a profit or or selling off your finds to pay for equipment , etc? Monty

Upvote 0

epi-hunter

Nov 1, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I totally agree Hollow, and believe it or not, he was referring to half dollar clads in his statement! Sheesh.....

I've only been doing this for a few months but I have a ton of clad saved up. It's a thrill to dig up ANY coin, but if I dug silver every time it wouldn't take long before it was no longer a big deal.

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
I'm getting into it for the experience...and fun of the discovery. I'm a diver first and foremost living in an area with a LOT of history (read that to be LOTS of underwater artifacts). Have been diving here for about 4 years and I got tired of seeing all of the same old things underwater. Told myself one day: "Self? You need to do something different". So, I got online and did some research as to what MD unit would work well underwater. Found and purchased one, and now am having fun trying to find "stuff" underwater. Not in it for the profit here. Just that adrenaline rush when you find something old and unique that leaves you with that feeling of "who touched this, what was it for, what happened that it was left here?" Will I find enough clad here to pay for the detector? I can pretty much say with confidence that the answer is no. But what it has given me is time to get away from the everyday hassles of work and all of the little things in our daily lives that cause stess. Underwater, nobody bothers you, MD'ing underwater keeps my mind active in a different sort of way. I can leave the cares and problems of world on the surface behind for a little while. For me it's relaxing, and fun as well when I here the Excalibur sing out a hit of gold, silver, copper, bronze, etc.

In the end, I will take a few pieces for myself and leave the rest behind for others to enjoy. I've never been a history buff, but have started to take an interest in it as a result of what I know about the area that I live in, the maritime history here, past wars, and the enthusiasm that all of you have. And on the last item I have to thank you all for the contributions. Whether or not you realize it, you all feed each other's love for the hobby by contributing stories, adventures, etc.

Oh, and on a parting note, I really liked TXKajun's description of the hobby. If nothing else, this forum makes for some really good......and fun, reading. OK, maybe I just bought a metal detector so that I can pretend to fit in here for the conversations and fun of it all! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread