For the wanna be detectorist in Flint

MD 12/46

Greenie
Aug 27, 2011
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac
I was hunting yesterday & the day before @ Water Works park in downtown Flint Mi. Yes I saw your work... You did at least put the plugs back but you left the trash right on top of the plug! I picked up your trash, like you figured someone would. Next time bring a trash apron and do the job right or the City of Flint could cut us all out of hunting the parks. >:( BTW, if I see you hunting and leaving trash... you'll get a good lecture. While most parks lawncare folks are friendly, there was one who didn't like my detecting and called the cops. The officer straightened him out and left without bothering me. If you leave your trash on the plug, it's pretty clear that a detectorist left it. Please don't give them any reasons to stop detecting in the parks!

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
You're lucky to be hunting a "Water Works" park. Down here in the Detroit Water Works park, it is fenced in and closed to doing anything there. Security reasons, something about possible poisoning the water supply. What with all the crap that is poured down the storm sewers..they ought to shut down the whole city.......lol..........NGE

OP
OP
M

MD 12/46

Greenie
Aug 27, 2011
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Sorry to hear your park is closed off. There are tons of polutants @ this site as well and not much for finds. Think it's been hunted hard over the yrs...There must be some great historic parks in your area that can be hunted though.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
yes, it was closed back in the 70's, but not before we hunted it metal detectors that were very early TR (high freq. machines) No discrimination Compass Yukon 94-B's. Only obtained max depth of about 5 inches when the ground was moist. All tones were the same :icon_biggrin:. Heck, if I were to want to mess up the water supply, I'd do it at the unprotected inlet out in the Detroit river..duh. ..........NGE

quest238

May 5, 2012
Flint, MI
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Irresponsible detectorists are really giving the rest of us a bad name. I wish there was something we could do to legally stop them.

By the way, I live in Flint. If you want someone to detect with, send me a message.....Bill

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Try college grounds there, rings could be plentiful. My lost love went there for a MA, just found her on facebook after 45 years. She did time at Camp Plainwell. They put electric in her brain at 18! She claims to have Aspergers syndrome and only eats peanut butter now. My 1967 treasure pleasure. She is always on my mind.

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Yeah MD 12/46...upsets me too! I don't hunt much in the Flint area, but its only 1/2 hour from me.

Boy I tell you what...I'm praying that shows like American Diggers fail. The way those guys hack at the ground...gonna make newbies not try much harder. Hopefully our rights aren't terminated throughout the state due to a major increase in IRRESPONSIBLE detectorists.

I've seen that before too. The holes these jokers leave are put back in the ground all lopsided and offset. Trash laying right on top of the hole like they are doing the groundskeepers a favor by placing the trash there...as if they are gonna pick it up.

Here's an obvious point to be said...listened to...and abided by new people who are detecting.

Think about this carefully. Nobody probably LIKES digging trash. Obvious some people don't if they don't bother to take it with them and leave it on top of the hole.

But I will promise you this...if you leave half of a tin can on top of a hole...some lawnmower is gonna smoke it into 10 pieces and in a few years when you go back you are gonna be digging 10 holes that all have pieces of that can in there that you neglected to throw away.

Another thing to think about is this...I ALWAYS leave places better than when I arrived. Any good detectorist will do the same. There are many reasons to do this. You want to keep your privileges, leave the place looking nice, and leave undetected holes.

Another reason you want to leave good clean holes is this...it means less competition. If someone else sees the holes you dug or realizes that someone is detecting a certain area or park...it gives THEM the idea to go and do it. Also...if they see your trash laying on top of the hole...they may somehow begin to think that maybe that's customary. You see...this kind of neglective behavior and bad habits will breed other idiots.

I've said my peace!

Deerhunter24

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MD 12/46

Greenie
Aug 27, 2011
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Well, I found out who was leaving trash on top of their plugs. He has been scolded by another MD'r that i met. Now the guy leaves his trash in the plug. No hope for some people i guess...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread