For those of you who get half boxes

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Enjoy it while you can. Been CRH in CT for about 5 years. Was great for the first three. Then the banks dropped the hammer. As of right now I can only order halves from Webster and they are horrible like 2 keepers per batch. Batch for me is around 15-20 boxes, not even worth it. Used to order from Td, Guardas boxes where amazing last yr. Would average between 70-100 keepers per batch lots of walkers and 90's. Said last yr no more and ever since cant get a single td to order.. On to BOA, used to pick up there alot. Dimes pennies, halves. Now they will barely give you any coin without charging, let alone orders.
The long and short of this is enjoy hunting while you can because its only a matter of time before you get shut down. Myself and RichHartford(RIP) used to kill it, silver was added per day not per week or month. Now Im left doing penny and nickle boxes every now and then just for kicks. Feel like the mobster at the end of goodfellas. I cant even get decent tomato sauce anymore LOL.

Keith

Upvote 0

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mind if I ask what part of CT? even city or rural would be useful. I come up to CT every so often for business and hunt, haven't had any issues yet

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
I know it's just a matter of time before this hobby is killed off, so as far as I'm concerned, I'm doing as much volume as I can before they drop the hammer.

Terryble

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2011
NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Were you ordering 20 boxes from one bank? If that's the case are you really surprised they shut you down?

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Were you ordering 20 boxes from one bank? If that's the case are you really surprised they shut you down?

Started the shut down way before I was ordering 20+. Starting making huge orders with my good banks becasue I new it was wrapping up. Doesnt matter if you order 2 a week or 20 a week in the end you will be cut off. Thats a falisy that if you order alot they will cut you off. They will just take alil longer to catch up to ya if your only searching 2k a month. Youll understand the game when youve been doing it for a while

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
Started the shut down way before I was ordering 20+. Starting making huge orders with my good banks becasue I new it was wrapping up. Doesnt matter if you order 2 a week or 20 a week in the end you will be cut off. Thats a falisy that if you order alot they will cut you off. They will just take alil longer to catch up to ya if your only searching 2k a month. Youll understand the game when youve been doing it for a while

Terryble and I have both been at it 3+ years, IIRC. I don't order more than 2 boxes from the same bank, unless they skipped a week for various reasons.

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Mind if I ask what part of CT? even city or rural would be useful. I come up to CT every so often for business and hunt, haven't had any issues yet

yea np. Northern CT seems to be the worst. Although Td wont order halves anywhere in CT as I have tried. I even have an Aunt at a TD branch and she couldnt get me half boxes. Meriden BOA is really bad they wont give you anymore then 100.00 in coin or they say they will charge you. I even took it to corprate and they comfirmed the braches have the authority to charge you if they want a few for any coin over 100.00 reguardless of amount or how often.

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
I know it's just a matter of time before this hobby is killed off, so as far as I'm concerned, I'm doing as much volume as I can before they drop the hammer.

Yep, thats the name of the game, do as much as you can while you can. That old ideaq of keeping order small is bs, no matter what youll be shut down, just a matter of how long

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
yea np. Northern CT seems to be the worst. Although Td wont order halves anywhere in CT as I have tried. I even have an Aunt at a TD branch and she couldnt get me half boxes. Meriden BOA is really bad they wont give you anymore then 100.00 in coin or they say they will charge you. I even took it to corprate and they comfirmed the braches have the authority to charge you if they want a few for any coin over 100.00 reguardless of amount or how often.
TD has a corporate policy of no longer ordering halves, as of Jan 2011, IIRC. I sat down and spoke with a manager that I'm friends with about it... any manager that orders halves gets a note put in their file about it and if they do it again, they get fired. TD took those steps because they believed people were ordering from them and dumping at other branches. Wonder what they'll do next now that people are simply having other banks order and dumping at TD. They took the initial step of the 6% fee for non-customer use of Penny Arcade, I'd imagine that the next step would be a small fee, maybe 3%, for customers... 3% adds up in a hurry. Good way to discourage dumping large volumes of change on them.

db23

Mar 18, 2011
any manager that orders halves gets a note put in their file about it and if they do it again, they get fired.
This is nonsense. The real thing preventing them from ordering is a script on their ordering system that automatically zeros out an attempt to order halves. If they try to put in a 4 for the number of boxes to order, when they submit the order their system will replace the 4 with a 0.

Even if a manager wanted to order them, their system would prevent them. Talk of firing over ordering a box of halves is just silly.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Active 5 years now and several accts at diff banks. No crh fees yet and BOA never, not even for months of no acct activity.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is nonsense. The real thing preventing them from ordering is a script on their ordering system that automatically zeros out an attempt to order halves. If they try to put in a 4 for the number of boxes to order, when they submit the order their system will replace the 4 with a 0.

Even if a manager wanted to order them, their system would prevent them. Talk of firing over ordering a box of halves is just silly.
I watched once as the teller tried to place the order of halves at TD. It wasn't that they would not place it, they just could not place it. I thought i heard a rumor here or somewhere else that it was a direct result of someone ordering something like 20 boxes of halves each from a bunch of different TD branches. True or not, i don't know.

Terryble

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2011
NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
...Doesnt matter if you order 2 a week or 20 a week in the end you will be cut off. Thats a falisy that if you order alot they will cut you off...

I completely disagree. I continuously hear stories of people's buy banks starting to charge and\or limit orders because of people abusing the system ordering huge amounts of coin. I also hear the same exact story for dump banks shutting people down due to abuse. I'm not pointing fingers or anything just saying that this is a recurring theme and it always seems to be due to abuse of the system. Also, I'm not new to the game.

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other

What do you think happens when the system goes down for whatever reason? They can phone in orders... there were a couple branches in DE that were doing that for me until the DM laid down the law with the managers of said branches. If you don't think you'll get fired or at least in hot water for ignoring direct orders from your boss...

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Terryble said:
I completely disagree. I continuously hear stories of people's buy banks starting to charge and\or limit orders because of people abusing the system ordering huge amounts of coin. I also hear the same exact story for dump banks shutting people down due to abuse. I'm not pointing fingers or anything just saying that this is a recurring theme and it always seems to be due to abuse of the system. Also, I'm not new to the game.

if you space out your orders and dumps you don't raise red flags. Its the people how order 20 from one bank that akes it stick out. With that being said. Doesn't look, any better then if ordered mtwo boxs a week for two years. The bank still looks at it the same way. Your costing them money without a business account. I've been shut down from ordering two dime boxes a week. All depends on the tellers, and bank managers. If they want to get :thumb_down:, there going up know matter

Last edited by a moderator:

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Its funny to watch people argue like everything is black and white. Ive noticed basically 2 things from listening to all of you and talking to tellers from banks in NY, NJ, PA and CT.

1. first and foremost -different areas and differnt people often get different results.

2. not all large volume CRHers are a problem but where i have found problems it is from [ I GOT MINE] large volume CRHin

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you order 2k from 12 different banks it still may be the same coin supplier. I have to agree when this problem turns up its always high volume. Always.

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
quiksilver said:
Its funny to watch people argue like everything is black and white. Ive noticed basically 2 things from listening to all of you and talking to tellers from banks in NY, NJ, PA and CT.

1. first and foremost -different areas and differnt people often get different results.

2. not all large volume CRHers are a problem but where i have found problems it is from [ I GOT MINE] large volume CRHin

wu quicksilver. Long time no see

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
db23 said:

this is accurate. My td with my aunt showed me. The comp won't let you order halves

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Terryble said:

we are all abusing the system. Banks aren't in business to assist in crh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread