For those who river hunt...

Fast_Dave

Mar 21, 2003
Superior, WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer, White's 6000, Fisher Aquanaut
??? ??? My buddy and I were having a discussion on whether the current of a river would affect the coins and other finds lost in a river swimming hole. ?I was of the opinion that the spring runoff ( we hunt in NW Wisconsin) would wash all the finds downriver. ?The two swimming holes we were thinking about are directly under the falls of a river and a creek and are there mainly because of the way the water falls from the rocks. ?I've seen postcards of these swimming holes used around 1905. ?Spring runoff in these areas approaches flood stage some years, but the water is confined between high rock walls in these areas. ?Do you think anything would be left here? ?Thanks!

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I think its an excellent place to hunt. The river current is going to push the sand and deposit it somewhere...thats where to look, as everything gets dragged with it. The sand banks and build up that is against the rocks . And the bottom. Anything on the shore is going to get pushed down the bank when the ice slides during thaw and flood .I river hunt alot....mostly find lures. Where are you located...county wise?

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
for my money any of those coins that were lost at the swimming hole are still right where they were dropped. just under a layer of sand and silt.

OP
OP
Fast_Dave

Fast_Dave

Mar 21, 2003
Superior, WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer, White's 6000, Fisher Aquanaut
I hunt in Douglas County, which is about as far northwest as you can get in Wisconsin. Incidentally, I already have a 1280-X, so the replies aren't going to make me go out and buy a new machine. Thanks!

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
well if the depth of the swimming hole is deep , then i say the cions will stay there just have to worry about how much mud n sand over top of them.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
I wade and fish rivers almost every day. The reason the Holes are there is that the waterfall has washed and eroded them out over time. If the the coins and jewelery were lost in the hole they are still there. Unless some one has already found them. If you can run a dredge there that would be your best bet to move the sand and dirt and recover them. If you can not under water detectors will be your best bet and go after a flood as everything in the hole will be stirred up. You will want to wait until the water drops and clears enough to be safe. Good Luck.

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
"The reason the Holes are there is that the waterfall has washed and eroded them out over time." The key sentence for some streams.
I have seen boulders the size of a VW moved hundreds of feet in a single spring flood on a small stream in the Catskills NY, that barely runs ten gallons per minute in the middle of summer. I have found car parts and culverts and all sorts of junk in the stream. One big pool has filled and emptied of stones the size of suitcases.

What you really need to find is a place where the water "slows down". THAT is where the items will be deposited. In a narrow canyon with spring flood waters rushing through, the items will be flushed along as if they were in a fire hose, even through the pools below the rapids or falls. Remember it is the action of the water and tumbling rocks that cut out those pools, the same action that can move and shift large rocks will either grind to dust smaller items or propel them downstream until the pressure drops and the heavier items can drop out of the flow. Areas behind big rocks too heavy to be easily moved by a steams spring flood will provide a "calm water" area just down stream of them where some items may drop out of suspension, gold hunters often use this trick. The other thing to look for is bedrock cracks that may "catch" items and prevent the water's force from dislodging them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread