Foreclosures....

jbow

Sep 24, 2005
Cartersville, GA
With all the foreclosures right now it is a perfect time to hunt them. I know some people in Atlanta who hunt everyone they find and no one ever says anything to them, not the neighbors.... no one. One time the police stopped and asked them what they were doing. They told them they were hunting for Civil War relics, gave both officers a minnie and they told they to have fun and left. The banks don't have time to care and if you don't leave a mess... no one really cares. This is a good opportunity. The worst that can happen is that you might be asked to leave. Of course you can always buy an orange vest and stencil survey or utility on it...

Just a thought for those who are short of place to hunt.

J

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
EHTICS 101;
IF YOU DO NOT OWN IT, OR HAVE PERMISSION (preferably in writing) STAY AWAY FROM IT!

stillgottawork

Jun 6, 2008
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT , Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lostcauses said:
EHTICS 101;
IF YOU DO NOT OWN IT, OR HAVE PERMISSION (preferably in writing) STAY AWAY FROM IT!

No need to say more............. :thumbsup:

dank

Mar 18, 2009
Olympia Wa
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dont think that rule apples if the bank owns it. if its for sale with a manicured lawn you should probably stay away, but if its been abandoned for 6+ months and the bank doesn't even mow the lawn, (like the one next to my house, with the 3 foot tall grass) then i say its fair game.. :hello2:

TNbirdhunter

Mar 22, 2009
I have a friend that is a realtor who deals in foreclosers. Should be easy to find one who will give you a list of property that you can hunt.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"With all the foreclosures right now it is a perfect time to hunt them. I know some people in Atlanta who hunt everyone they find and no one ever says anything to them, not the neighbors.... no one. One time the police stopped and asked them what they were doing. They told them they were hunting for Civil War relics, gave both officers a minnie and they told they to have fun and left. The banks don't have time to care and if you don't leave a mess... no one really cares. This is a good opportunity. The worst that can happen is that you might be asked to leave. Of course you can always buy an orange vest and stencil survey or utility on it...

Just a thought for those who are short of place to hunt.

J"

Benefiting from others misfortune, sounds like the vultures are circling.

Here's a thought:

Metal Detecting, all over the world has a hard time convincing the general public that we are not thieves that detect at the dead of night. So what you advocate to improve this already difficult impression is jump on peoples estates as soon as they lose them to bad dept/loss of job & not even gain permission of the current owners (banks are not my Fav, but they have rights like anyone else). What might people think about such an act? You say people don't care, so you speak for everyone that walks by & spots you, that's impressive. It only takes a few people to ask the right questions or the bank turns up with people to look around the house & you have single handily done more damage to our collective hobby than most can repair in a year. That means that everyone after you that goes to that particular bank & trys to gain permission (the RIGHT way) will be turned away. Therefore you are causing a mess for all of us to clear up because of your selfish greed & irresponsible actions.

Then your dumb enough to put it on the worldwide web & think that its big & clever. We are a forum which prides ourselves in some type of moral standards which you seem to be lacking, maybe time to consider if your on the right forum..........
I could continue but thats enough for now!

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tresspassing in va can hold up to a year in jail and a $25,000.00 fine , and since they just passed a bill where they are going to charge you money for every night you spend in jail some are $65.00 it could be a exspensive hunt for a few relics and coins . So I would ask first call the realitor tell them you'll cut the grass one time to metal detect or something and sometimes that works . Better safe than sorry ....now if its a cache site hummmmm maybe !

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having lost a house in the recession back in the early 80's, I still have an aversion to anyone that takes advantage of someone elses misfortune. This is a very traumatic experience one doesn't get over easily, if at all.

How'd you like to lose your house and see some parasite abusing what was once yours and you lost thru no fault of your own?

Walk a mile in a man's shoes.

Al

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Jbow, I feel your pain right now :hello: :hello: You posted to suggest people can hunt innocuous abandoned (or whatever you want to call it) property, with presumably no fences and/or signs. And what did you expect? Remember, you're posting on a forum where people think you need permission to hunt public sandboxes. ::)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:

Here's a thought:

Metal Detecting, all over the world has a hard time convincing the general public that we are not thieves that detect at the dead of night. So what you advocate to improve this already difficult impression is jump on peoples estates as soon as they lose them to bad dept/loss of job & not even gain permission of the current owners (banks are not my Fav, but they have rights like anyone else). What might people think about such an act? You say people don't care, so you speak for everyone that walks by & spots you, that's impressive. It only takes a few people to ask the right questions or the bank turns up with people to look around the house & you have single handily done more damage to our collective hobby than most can repair in a year. That means that everyone after you that goes to that particular bank & trys to gain permission (the RIGHT way) will be turned away. Therefore you are causing a mess for all of us to clear up because of your selfish greed & irresponsible actions.

Then your dumb enough to put it on the worldwide web & think that its big & clever. We are a forum which prides ourselves in some type of moral standards which you seem to be lacking, maybe time to consider if your on the right forum..........

I have nothing to add.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom,
You and I are generally on the same page on abandonded properties...but...

Foreclosures are not abandonded and are usually very well marked or posted in some manner around here. Big difference I believe. Also, the person being foreclosed upon may have some legal recourse when the house goes up for auction to regain title to their property. Laws have changed dramatically over the years on foreclosures.

JMHO

Al

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
I work in the default area (REO) at a mortgage company and can tell you right off the bat that 99% of the time, the bank will not give you permission to metal detect their property. The reason is simple, liability. Your best bet is to directly contact the realtor for the property that the bank has hired. It's a 50/50 chance they will agree to let you. If you are quick about things, you may be able to smooth talk the agent by getting them to contract you to cut the grass or something of that nature. You can make some quick cash and possibly be able to detect. I wouldn't get your expectations up for newer properties, but mainly older ones that are not in the best shape. The agent will feel you can do less damage on those type.

As for what Tom in CA said, I agree with him on the fact that if it is a clearly abandoned property with no one caring for it; have at it. Just make sure there are not any No Trespassing signs. Use common sense though; don't whip out your detector in an area where it is a neighborhood with lots of houses surrounding the property in question. Detecting in the yard of a $400,000 house in a suburban neighborhood of Atlanta would not be too smart. If you aren't sure, it wouldn't hurt to just ask the realtor. Just offer up a service as a trade off. Otherwise, as I said before, I would stick to the clearly abandoned properties that are a little more off the beaten path.

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
I have to agree forclosures are alright to hunt.I have many in our area ,the are not takin care of.Lucky if the lawns get mowed once a month.If i have to look at that junk hole,I am gonna detect it.Most of these cases around here arent worth it tho,too new.if the place is Taken care of ,its not forclosed on.I placed a call to the one foclosure re-seller in the area,They said it didnt matter.If the place is all beat up.not maintaned and has a forclosure sign,i wouldnt be too worried about hunting it.Just be rdy incase u have to pay a fine.But 99% of the time,no one cares(which is obvious the way they take care of these properties).I have NEVER saw a forclosed property that was maintained.The BIG fat bankers dont seem to care what they own half the time.Which is another reason we are in the boat we are in.They gave money to people who couldnt pay it back!!! THX Mister BANKER.Have fun detecting,they have more to worry about than u looking for coins in their broken down crap holes. P.S If the property is taken care of STAY away ,unless u did get permission.

dank

Mar 18, 2009
Olympia Wa
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[/quote]

Here's a thought:

[/quote]

wow dude, everyone else seems to be able to express their opion with out calling any one dumb! or a vulture, maby some of us ar a little better at reading the situation than you are. if its right, its right. if its wrong its wrong. (each case will be different.)
lol you say "Benefiting from others misfortune" like its a bad thing. what do you think you do every time you pull a ring or a coin outa the ground?
sometimes ppl say things befor they think.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Dank, interesting perspective. You're right: the knee-jerk reaction is to think you/I/we need to detect in such a way to avoid any stereotypes, stigmas, mad-stares, etc...... Afterall, you "don't wanna give the hobby a bad name", right? But if you take that objective to its logical conclusion, we all might as well stay in our homes, with the curtains drawn :o I have actually run into people while at parks or schools, for example, that think the mere act of finding a lost item (ANY lost item from ANYWHERE) is somehow "preying on the misfortunes of others". Sure, this is rare, and sure, most people could care less and don't even notice you. BUT if I had to base my plans on the rare naysayers, I might as well hang it up. Heck, we all might as well stop driving too, lest someone get mad and flip you off in traffic for something they too perceived you did wrong :'(

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's a thought:

[/quote]

wow dude, everyone else seems to be able to express their opion with out calling any one dumb! or a vulture, maby some of us ar a little better at reading the situation than you are. if its right, its right. if its wrong its wrong. (each case will be different.)
lol you say "Benefiting from others misfortune" like its a bad thing. what do you think you do every time you pull a ring or a coin outa the ground?
sometimes ppl say things befor they think.
[/quote]

Dank,
Dumb is a word I have only used once on this forum, everyone is allow an opinion on here, so I guess I should retract my harsh words (its rare), or am I not allow an opinion as well (minus the harsh words of course).
However, your point drops on death ears. I do not hunt beaches for lost rings, nor do I look for clad. I have no interest in these items because of the reason you stated. I don't want to be seen finding things that people lost only some years ago or even minutes ago. Because if I did I would hand it ALL in to the police in the hope that the loser might be able to claim it back. I would feel guilty keeping rings (that could be Wedding bands etc), but I know others that have no issue over this. My hunting is about saving & recording our history & not jumping into people gardens for stuff they many have lost some months earlier (not saying that others can't enjoy this, its just not my style). In fact if I ever find anything that I may stand any chance of returning to the rightful owner then I would do it without thinking.

Now maybe you could say that I have limited understanding of your Laws (which would be true), & that this pactice is completely acceptable in your detecting circles. But the way it reads to me, is not good.

dank

Mar 18, 2009
Olympia Wa
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i wasnt trying to argue, and defiantly wasnt saying you shouldn't state you opinion. i actually appreciate you opinion, its a reminder to stay honest, just was saying that it could be done without disrespect.

my point dosnt fall on deaf ears, there are other readers here.

if i found a class ring or something that i had the chance of returning i would like to say that ill give it a good try.

also i didnt read the original post the same way you must have, i read it as there are some houses that are not maintained/ forclosures, that would be nice to MD, not like your waiting for the moving truck to pull out so you can get started. and i assumed ppl who did this, would have targeted older homes not new home flower beds.

our own boundary's are what defines us as individuals,

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been doing this for quite a while now, and have found interesting items on foreclosed properties. Without telling any of you what to do either way, I personally feel you should always get permission hunting any area that doesn't belong to you. I have called out-of-state companies who own homes that are falling apart, and many times permission is not granted. When it is, however, they tell me that although they have no problem with you being there looking for coins and relics, you're doing it at your own risk if anyone happens to call police or ask you what you are doing.

The best hunts I've ever had are private properties I've had permission to hunt, either from RE agents, mortgage companies, banks or the owners themselves. You can take your time while you're there, come back multiple times if needed, and you don't have to look over your shoulder wondering who might walk up to you.

And wearing a vest or hard hat to make it appear that you belong there is like lying to someone without speaking...you wouldn't only be guilty of trespassing but you're misrepresenting yourself, which to me is very undignified. Just my .02.

Nat

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Natman said:
I've been doing this for quite a while now, and have found interesting items on foreclosed properties. Without telling any of you what to do either way, I personally feel you should always get permission hunting any area that doesn't belong to you. I have called out-of-state companies who own homes that are falling apart, and many times permission is not granted. When it is, however, they tell me that although they have no problem with you being there looking for coins and relics, you're doing it at your own risk if anyone happens to call police or ask you what you are doing.

The best hunts I've ever had are private properties I've had permission to hunt, either from RE agents, mortgage companies, banks or the owners themselves. You can take your time while you're there, come back multiple times if needed, and you don't have to look over your shoulder wondering who might walk up to you.

And wearing a vest or hard hat to make it appear that you belong there is like lying to someone without speaking...you wouldn't only be guilty of trespassing but you're misrepresenting yourself, which to me is very undignified. Just my .02.

Nat

Exactly (see underlined).

This is what got my blood up, that we should go out & detect, private property without getting permission, because no-ones cares! I do & I detect, so what might others think of such actions!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread