Foreign, Steel and Silver

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been getting cabin fever so yesterday I decide to do something about it. On my way to work I stopped at the bank to cash in last years clad. After the kids raiding my clad all year long I was able to get $66. In the machine at the bank I found 12 foreign coins and a 1943 steel penny. At lunchtime I order $69 worth of detecting stuff on-line. Easy come easy go on the clad earnings...lol. On my way home I know there is a Coinstar in the food store I pass so I think what the hell and pull in. Picked up a silver dime and quarter in the return slot...both 1962. Not a bad take for a day I did not get to detect.

With the weather in NJ warming up and the ground thawing a little I will be detecting this weekend.

Happy hunting everyone.
NJ

Upvote 0
U

umrgolf

I've never owned a steel penny detected or found... stellar non-detecting day :icon_thumleft:

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
THat is way to cool. Cash in your spare and find more cool coins.
:icon_sunny: HH in 2010 :icon_sunny:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since I had such a good day on Thursday I decided to stop at another bank on Friday morning to check their coin machine. I was able to pick up another handful of foreign coins and a second 1943 steel penny.

I will now share my trick for getting all these coins. Most people don't realize that on some of the coin machines the tray you pour your coins into lifts out to make sure no coins are stuck in the tray. I always check to make sure I leave no coins behind. They also have a powerful magnet built into the bottom that certain foreign coins and yes steel pennies stick to....mine all mine...just waiting for me to come along and free them from their prison. I would not just walk into a bank and start pulling apart their machine but nobody even questions me when I'm cashing coins in first.

I don't collect foreign coins put the kids get a big kick out of them. Lots of different animals on the backs. Also when I stop to check Coinstar machines I usually will only do that on Thursday, Friday or Saturday early evenings. This is usually when the 20 and 30 somethings are cashing in their coins for beer money and they never look at what they have.

Good luck
NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread