Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last two forest preserve hunts with "kimsdad" have been nothing short
of perfect. . . great company, great weather, and to top it off, a couple of firsts.

DSC001.JPG

DSC002.jpg

Aside from the dozens of shotgun shells we both found (I think "kimsdad" might be digging one
in the photo above), I found ANOTHER CrackerJack prize (Rooster),a couple more pieces of jewelry
near the base of a large tree and a 5-cent, "holed" token. . . which I have no clue as to it's origin.

DSC_6568.JPG

DSC_6566.jpg

After about 2-hours, we moved north to another location where I found 4 early date Wheats. . . the oldest
being a 1909 (no V.D.B. or "S" :-\) but still a first for me, my oldest wheat.

During the first three hours of today's hunt, we both came up short. . . except for a piece of an old stove
(which I ended up carrying around for most of the afternoon :P).

DSC_6567.JPG

It was starting to get late so we decided we should start making our way our way back to the car.
About half-way back to the parking lot, I got several solid signals that were a few inches apart.
The first signal, about 5" deep, turned out to be my FIRST Standing Liberty quarter ever. The second
signal was a piece of iron and my last signal was ANOTHER Standing Liberty!! Well, after spending
another 30-minutes spiraling out from where these were found, I got my last signal of the day. . . a 1916 Buffalo.

DSC004.jpg

DSC_6560.JPG

Even though these aren't the prettiest twins in the woods, they're the sweetest :)

Thanks for looking!
watercolor

Upvote 0

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very Nice :thumbsup:Makes me want hit the woods again, but first I'll have to cut some briar patches to get there.

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
Nice SLQ's!
Man, I can't believe how much detail is still left in those, and still no date.
Damn high relief.
I wonder if I'll EVER find one with a date.
Great hunt!
Congrats on your first!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Hey Mark,
Wow! Where do I start? Yet another Cracker Jack prize. You're on a streak! ;D That jewelry looks a lot better now that it's been cleaned. I like the colored piece. Is it me, or is that hole in the token a little off center - almost as if someone drilled it.... :icon_scratch:

A big congrats on your first SLQ!!! :thumbsup: You got Doublemint twins! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Two for the price of one! I'm glad I was there to see them come out of the ground! :wink: I think you're right - it looks like they might have been in a fire. Until you hit those babies, I was worried that the hunt would be a bust! You made it a success in style! Congrats again, my friend. Maybe we should send out feelers to our wives about going back out there tomorrow.... ::)

Oh, who's that old guy in the blue shirt? :tongue3:
Neil

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Great finds! How did you get permission to hunt a forest preserve? I thought those were off limits?
Baggins

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SEXY iron, cool token, and a Beautiful pair of Standing Ladies. That looks like a BLAST of a hunt! Those woods look like they were a joy to hunt--much better than the woods are in my area right now.

A BIG Congratulations on some fantastic finds. Keep up the good work.

-Buckles

OP
OP
watercolor

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old River said:
Very Nice :thumbsup:Makes me want hit the woods again, but first I'll have to cut some briar patches to get there.

I'm liking the woods more and more each time. . . if it's a decent signal and not a shotgun shell, it's usually a keeper.

JOHN_DOE said:
It's a slot machine token.

Thanks John, I never would have thought of that.

The Buzzard King said:
Nice SLQ's!
Man, I can't believe how much detail is still left in those, and still no date.
Damn high relief.
I wonder if I'll EVER find one with a date.
Great hunt!
Congrats on your first!

Those high-relief dates are deal breakers for sure.
After I photographed these for this post, I took a REAL close look with a jeweler's loupe and I can just make out
a "9" on one and a "0" on the other. . . so I'm guessing they would be 1919 & 1920.

kimsdad said:
Hey Mark,
Wow! Where do I start? Yet another Cracker Jack prize. You're on a streak! ;D That jewelry looks a lot better now that it's been cleaned. I like the colored piece. Is it me, or is that hole in the token a little off center - almost as if someone drilled it.... :icon_scratch:

A big congrats on your first SLQ!!! :thumbsup: You got Doublemint twins! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Two for the price of one! I'm glad I was there to see them come out of the ground! :wink: I think you're right - it looks like they might have been in a fire. Until you hit those babies, I was worried that the hunt would be a bust! You made it a success in style! Congrats again, my friend. Maybe we should send out feelers to our wives about going back out there tomorrow.... ::)

Oh, who's that old guy in the blue shirt? :tongue3:
Neil

When you find a keeper like that in the middle of the woods, I'm learning chances are better than fair that there is something more close by.
I'd really like to get out there again tomorrow. . . maybe (I'll talk to my wife :-\)

BuckleBoy said:
SEXY iron, cool token, and a Beautiful pair of Standing Ladies. That looks like a BLAST of a hunt! Those woods look like they were a joy to hunt--much better than the woods are in my area right now.

A BIG Congratulations on some fantastic finds. Keep up the good work.

-Buckles

Thanks!. . . I just wish these woods had ONE CW button.

Thanks again everyone for your comments!
watercolor

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunting area and friends. Those SLQ are sweet and love the pics in the ground.

SKD

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. What was there back in the day? Was it an old house? How did you research this site? Thanks, Bryan

OP
OP
watercolor

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddy Waters in NC said:
Nice finds. What was there back in the day? Was it an old house? How did you research this site? Thanks, Bryan

Very good questions!

This area is near a river so there's been a lot of activity going on over the years. So far, I've come up short on finding
any foundations or cellar holes etc. but, that's not to say there haven't been any there over the years. During the past
few months, I've been comparing 1938 low-flight aerials with current aerial imagery and then concentrating my hunts to
those areas that appeared to have been used for recreational activity back in the 1930's. A lot of these areas that were
once lightly forested back then, are now quite overgrown. . . so that's where I start.

When I start finding iron, old surface glass from thick soda bottles & milk bottle tops, shotgun shells, and eating utensils etc.,
I know I'm in a probable area where interesting things may have been lost. . . hope this helps.

Take care,
watercolor

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have talked with many old timers who have said that that place has be hammered to death in the 80's.

Like the saying says. "no place is hunted out" and you guys are proving that.

K D and W C great finds....

Sorry I had been committed to the church and the house til late afternoon .

My self I didn't get out til 2:45

Congrats to both......

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great...those wheats look awesome too...especially that 1909. Congrats and good luck on any return trips.

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Great finds and pics, congrats on the first SLQ and your first hunt getting 2 SLQ's ;D All nice finds by the way, love the rooster, great hunt :icon_thumleft:
Glenn

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WC that is Great...And that's how it's supposed to happen ;D making your way back to the vehicle's :thumbsup: Big Congrat's on your First and some awesome dig's!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread