Forget my day job, Im CRHing

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Forget my day job, I'm CRHing

my buddy and I talked about an industrial level setup once but that would really only be profitable enuf if you could melt cents.

I like my job, wife and I are both chemical engineers, got a couple rentals properties, but CRHing definitely provides some extra cheap reserves. I plan on keeping my silver as a physical reserve.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

never ever thought about this as a job, but more as a little bit of cash on the side, plus coin collecting is my hobby. Isn't it awesome to make money while doing your hobby at the same time?

Back to the thought: how would you arrange pick-up and dumping of mass quanities for no fee if you even considered stepping it up? I know some people on here do 20 boxes at a time, I do not know how they do it, my max is 3 half dollar boxes(from 1 bank of course)... but I only have 1 bank to dump at, so 3 boxes is pushing it. hh!

OP
OP
koala33

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bigheed said:
my buddy and I talked about an industrial level setup once but that would really only be profitable enuf if you could melt cents.

I like my job, wife and I are both chemical engineers, got a couple rentals properties, but CRHing definitely provides some extra cheap reserves. I plan on keeping my silver as a physical reserve.

If I were a chemical engineer, I would probably not give it up to look for coins :tongue3:

By either way, good to see you are in the game! I really do enjoy it. It's fun.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

If I were to lose my job, I'd dirtfish full time, (lots of gold jewelry lost out there), and roll hunt in between.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

This idea seems to come up from time to time. Usually it is brought up by a newer CRHer who has had a decent amount of success and realizes how much profit he/she has made in a short time while doing a fun activity.

Some past posters had gone for extended periods of time CRHing huge amounts of coins for extended periods while retired/unemployed, etc. It always seems that after a certain point in time they clean out the silver from their area and the finds become pretty low. At that point it becomes obvious to them that to do this as a sole source of income is not feasible if they want to maintain a normal standard of living (pay rent/mortgage, car, other bills, etc).

But, if I were a young person today, I would CRH instead of getting a job flipping hamburgers, etc. If you lived at home with your parents and didn't really have bills to pay other than for your car, etc, you could wind up doing better CRHing than if you had a minimum wage job and you wouldn't have to deal with the BS such jobs often include.

Jim

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010

Koala,
It's my understanding that you are moving to the east coast soon. I'm
on the east coast and you should know that there is a huge amount of
competition all the way from Florida to New England. Trying to make a
living out of CRHing is almost impossible. I'm retired and can do as much
CRHing as I want. A few years ago, finding silver coins was easier than
it is today. Plus....the cost of gasoline is way up, so doing my usual little
road trips around the area has been cut back considerably. For example,
yesterday, I drove around for about three hours and almost 60 miles and
all I got was one lonely 1968 Half dollar out of a teller's tray. Got lots of
other CRHer's "dumps" too!. If you don't want to road trip and just order
boxes that's fine.....but be prepared for "many a skunk" boxes that you
will have to "dump". It gets old fast. Don't get me wrong....silver is still
out there, but good scores are thin and far between. I don't want to sound
discouraging, but just thought I'd give you a little heads up.
Safe journey.
rileyboy

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011

I think somebody who tries doing this as a job is going to realize quickly that there are way to many more effective ways to make more money than CRH'ing. There will be good scores from time to time for anyone willing to do volume, but in between you could very well starve. It seems easy to percieve because of the "finds" and amazing scores that people report on here, and other places... But even those people have plenty of time and effort in between with minimal results... At least that is my opinion as of now..

good luck hunting everyone.

OP
OP
koala33

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm not quitting my day job :laughing1: :laughing1:

I was just curious if anyone had..

Shawn

WormtownFJR

Jan 27, 2009

Better to get a part time job and just buy silver with those wages. A part time job at a bank would work :icon_pirat:.

OP
OP
koala33

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WormtownFJR said:
Better to get a part time job and just buy silver with those wages. A part time job at a bank would work :icon_pirat:.

That's exactly right!

conpewter

Aug 17, 2010
Illinois

I think Obediah is basically making a living doing CRH... but I never got to know him unfortunately.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

so far I haven't sold anything and probably won't, I want the physical ownership of PM.

That being said if you just converted my stash to dollars * 90% of spot price and figure I do ~ 3 hours per day hunting(~15-20 hours per week) , it's better than any part time job I ever had and compares pretty good to my actual wage after taxes.

You could make a living off of it, the problem isnt manpower or even a huge sorter you could get for 10k, The real achilles is access to and the ability to dump 10-25k per day and the fact that you cant melt pennies.....*yet*

Bigheed

lastcsarebel

Greenie
Feb 5, 2011
Whittier, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

koala33 said:
Anyone on here do this for a living? If you had the right system, it would certainly be feasible...

There are some though very few who have a workable 'System' to make it pay and keep paying......

I roll hunt every now and again but i do a lot of other Treasure hunting as well......

Thanks to the Good Lords blessings on June 6th i scored $2,405 in Silver Quarters, in ONE sitting, $120 in rolled quarters turned up ALL but 6 made of silver. That was a ONE in a TRILLION find, to my knowledge that hasn't happened to anyone i know, but BEFORE and SINCE then i've only found a few coins here and a few coins there....... *Example* One dime out of 3 thousand searched.

I would BUY AND SELL GOLD AND SILVER at the same time you roll hunt, my BEST advice to you.

I'm gonna go on record and say :icon_thumleft: 'I' Do NOT HAVE A 'REAL' JOB. :icon_thumright:

Precious Metal buying and selling, Metal Detecting, Roll hunting, Antiques trading

All these COMBINED pay the bills, there's no one STAND ALONE segment.

Its a hobby that PAYS BACK, ^_^ Its great, and when you have a 'Miracle Hit' then you receive a bonus lol and your set for a time.

God Bless~! :thumbsup:

Matthew

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

2405 melt value or you're saying you found 9620 silver quarters....pic? either way thats a serious stash of quarters.

lastcsarebel

Greenie
Feb 5, 2011
Whittier, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Bigheed said:
2405 melt value or you're saying you found 9620 silver quarters....pic? either way thats a serious stash of quarters.

$2,405 'face value'...........I later found out it was worth $300 more, :dontknow: (the guy game me face value vs. melt value) either way NO COMPLAINTS, its STILL my BEST find thus far ^_^ Praise God.

Attachments

• 249916_1942523076175_1035402919_32148138_5625628_n.jpg
    249916_1942523076175_1035402919_32148138_5625628_n.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 417
  • 249916_1942523076175_1035402919_32148138_5625628_n.jpg
    249916_1942523076175_1035402919_32148138_5625628_n.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 416

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Life can be so confusing at times. See ya, going to count some quarters.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thats crazy!! 9620 quarters is 70,889 at todays melt, nice score! How long ago did you find this ?

lastcsarebel

Greenie
Feb 5, 2011
Whittier, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Bigheed said:
thats crazy!! 9620 quarters is 70,889 at todays melt, nice score! How long ago did you find this ?

:dontknow: Wait a sec lol there must be some mistake or a typo on my part somewhere.........

:laughing7: I found 480 quarters........All but 6 were SILVER----Pre-1965 For a total of $2,405. Melt value was different at the time i think as i was later told i could have gotten $2700 if i had taken them directly to a smelter vs. the coin collecting shop.

And the finds were made June 6th, :read2: the anniversary of 'D-Day' Lol

I hope that clarified things a bit ^_^ lol :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions