wow just ran across this,wish i was closer,wonder if they will do a podcast

Forrest Fenn in Conversation with Michael McGarrity and Douglas Preston
Start: 04/17/2013 6:00 pm
City: Santa Fe
Province: New Mexico
Postal Code: 87501-6415
Events | Collected Works Bookstore & Coffeehouse

[h=1][/h]

For those who weren't able to get there, here are some highlights. They spoke for about an hour, and fielded questions from the crowd. Judging by the general response, most people there had not read the book yet. The majority of what Fenn said was straight from the book.

Here are the things he said that were new to me:

The key is inside the box, and the box is unlocked so no one takes a crowbar to it.

A couple of people have been within 500 feet (I had thought that was a singular)

Douglas Preston said that when he saw the box in the vault, that there was a bundle of $1000 bills inside on top. He thought Fenn might have taken that out, but Fenn didn't confirm either way.

When asked about avarice and trespassing, Fenn said he does not encourage trespassing and the box is not in downtown Santa Fe.

The bracelet is worth about 600 dollars. The Navajo silversmith that made it worked for Weatherall at the time.

The box is 10" x 10" x 6".

He added the word "dirty" to the rude aluminum marker description.

He bought the box in 1988 for $25,000, and said that was about twice what it's worth.

Fenn started filling the box, making the plan, and writing the poem in 1988.

He hid the box 3 or 4 years ago.

When he took it out of the vault, he put a stack of his 10" x 10" books under the handkerchief that was on top of the box. His wife later found the books.

It took him 6 weeks to write the book. His wife and family had no idea that he was writing it. Peggy found out after he was finished, and only because she caught him with an old picture of her that would be in it.

This is my favorite thing that Fenn said:

The question was "When I park my car, will I have to walk a long or short distance?"
His answer was "I suggest you get out of your car."

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

sadet5

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any fellow searchers devoted to Wyoming ? Would love to compare notes.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks dishpan

He hid the box 3 or 4 years ago,i remember reading that and FF saying he is counting on the finder to talk

i thought if it was found,b4 the hunt was public,i dont think anyone would say anything about finding it
and or now that its public

dishpan

Aug 30, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sure thing.

He said that again; he expects whoever finds it to not be able to keep it quiet, and that's how he'll know it's been found. (would not answer the question about whether there is a gps on board, though). The book was written for every redneck with a pickup truck and a bunch of kids. "Get out and smell the sunshine."

DaveC3119

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And with my treasures bold
Anagrams to
Lost drum behind stairway

Not helpful, but it made me laugh

dishpan

Aug 30, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rude aluminum marker?

It's part of the 'My War for Me' chapter. He was asked to talk about that story, so he gave a shortened version of it and said a few poignant words regarding war.

He was walking in a clearing back to a helicopter, when (from the book) "I tripped over something and fell flat on my face. That never happens to me. Then, when I started to push myself up, I came nose-to-nose with a rude aluminum grave marker."

reading it again now, he does say in the next paragraph that it's dirty. so that's not new. ::)

Last edited:

TinCan18

Tenderfoot
Feb 1, 2013
IL
Detector(s) used
M6 and Coinmaster Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. Been working this a long time. I am looking for someone to work with who is willing to do a 50/50 split and the bracelet goes back to Mr. Fenn. If you are interested send me a message.

OP
OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. Been working this a long time. I am looking for someone to work with who is willing to do a 50/50 split and the bracelet goes back to Mr. Fenn. If you are interested send me a message.

We have a lot of time invested in the locations we'll be checking on but will be doing a fall trip also.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
a FF quote from dals site,im guessing FF has a way of knowing when the Tbox is gone/found

[h=2]The Chest is Still Hidden…[/h]The following is a note directly from Forrest on Thursday morning, April 11th:
————————–
I have 31 emails from people who claim to have the treasure in their possession. These guys have a need to be noticed. I can assure everyone that the treasure is still where I hid it. Several have said they know where the treasure is but want me to go with them to get it because they think it is booby trapped. And of course they want me to drive because their pickup is broken. Some have been to a spot where they are positive the chest was hidden but it wasn’t there so surely someone beat them there and took it. All of that stuff is nonsense, the treasure is still there. f

DaveC3119

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Begin...it where warm waters...Halt

Inbetween the the instruction words, lies the clue.
DaveC3119

JRW33

Apr 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I don't know what to say. I stumbled across this story last night about 11pm and spent entire night researching this. There are a lot of good points on here. I have to say though this fella MarkD seems to have the most information, I've read every post in this strand. Honestly you can't help but wonder if Mr. Fenn is telling the truth although many people insist he is. One thing that really has me wondering is this thing of people being told or saying they were within 500 ft. How in the world would they know?or would Mr. Fenn know, unless he was with em.
And I agree with you turtle123456 people should definitely start a strand. only thing is I doubt anyone wants to share there info with people they don't know. Most things on here are opinions, there seems to be very few posts that actually give information. I guess thats all apart of the Hint though.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly you can't help but wonder if Mr. Fenn is telling the truth although many people insist he is.

JR
Welcome!

If you spent as much time researching Fenn as you did this thread you will see things in a different light. Though most posters here hang on to the chance that they will win the Fenn lotto someday, it just isnt going to happen.

Fenn's problems are far deeper than he wants to admit. But, hey, its something to do.

V

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread