Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was watching a show about this treasure on tv and it got me to wondering about the legality of the whole thing, if he hid that on public lands, the government could, and probably would, claim ownership, and if it’s hidden on private land, then it becomes the property of the landowner, right ? Also, according to the inventory of the stuff in the chest, it’s pretty much worthless unless you can liquidate it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Well, sure. And why stop there ? Why stop at just caches and big-ticket valuables ? There is law/rules that forbid "harvest" , "take" and "remove" at every speck of public land. Ie.: all parks, schools, forests, beaches, etc........

Ie.: So that no numbskull thinks he can back up his truck and start commercially harvesting the sand, or help himself to the park benches, or cut down trees for firewood.

Can such verbiage be applied to individual coins, caches, etc... ? OF COURSE ! Just show up at your city or county's public works dept. desk receptionist and ask them: "Hi, can I dig in the park and keep valuables for my own fun and profit from ebay?" And see what they say.

Ok , hurry and ask. And then you too can be the latest victim of the "No one cared till you asked" phenomenon.

Edmundruffin

Aug 17, 2010
West Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Groundhawk for metal, eyeballs for stone
Is this the same Forrest Fenn that was duped into buying $100,000 worth of fake Clovis points knapped by Woody Blackwell?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread