old stone home

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Checked this spectacular 1767 stone house site today (link below), but no luck inside or around the home. Would take someone who really knows what to do under the circumstances. There is lots of modern day and older junk all around the site, so many signals of all kinds. I did detect the spaces between the stones that make up the inside walls on the lower floor, but no way to reach the upper floor. The stone house is amazing to see, even with no luck detecting this morning. It has two huge rooms, two stories each (about 30 feet high from ground to where ceiling was). Each floor has four fireplaces for a total of eight, and each room is about 35 feet by 20 feet. Many of the huge wood beams still extend out from the walls and some have fallen within the interior of the house, which is filled with dirt, rocks and junk. One question perhaps someone can answer. Next to the house I found a man made circular hole, about 3-4 feet in diameter, lined at the ground level with red brick (perhaps newer than from original date of home?). Perhaps it was a storage area, collection for water, or sewage, any ideas? (If anyone wants exact directions to this site, I'd be glad to tell you. You have to be very aware of what's above you, as there are some large stone walls that are not in good shape.)
http://www.recordonline.com/archive/2001/12/27/ascolden.htm

kc in wv

Greenie
Sep 5, 2004
Your hole is a well. they normally had a frame around them with a rope, pulley and bucket to get the water out. The whole thing would have a roof over it to keep rain water out. One of the hazard of going around old grown up home steads is a lot of times the well covering has fallen in and the weeds hide it. Be careful when around the old homes.
kc

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree. It's a well. By the way some of those junk sounds may be treasure in themselves. I find that much of what my buddies wont dig turns out to be the stuff I want. Also tracking down the out house could lead to bigger things! Good luck.HH! Chris

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Thanks for all the tips. I meant to mention this site is about 400 yards from the Orange County Choppers shop where the TV show American Choppers is made, if anyone watches that. Saw the camera crew out there this morning. Talk about hitting it big. These guys were just "average Joes" and now they are a huge industry making millions.

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Some people fall backward to a pile of roses. I fall back to a pile of crap most of the time. Still, I would rather be TH'ing than anything else, Money or not. My friend Vince owns Redneck Engineering. He started in the carpet business, built a few bikes then BAM, he's making over three mil. a year. That said, I would rather find the occasional ring or coin than work seventy hours a week for any amount of money. Chris

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
You didn't give any idea of depth of the hole? Maybe you haven't dug any yet. Most so far think it is likely a well , and possably so. However in the old days to keep food during the winter a hole was dug 3 or 4 feet in ground were apples and such were placed in straw with lid on top to keep out mice and snow. cabbage would last a long while this way. I saw 2 of these in ground behind an old farm home once, For what its worth I through this your way. And if so could there be something buried in bottom? Monk

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Thanks, Monk. I haven't been back since my first posting, but I recall the bottom of the hole to be about 3-4 feet deep as you state, however, it likely has filled in with dirt and other stuff over the years (there was some modern day junk dumped in there too), so it could have been deeper originally. It's hard to tell how big around it is below ground given the darkness beyond the light illuminating what can be seen directly below the opening. You can tell it's bigger than the opening by at least a few feet in diameter. Would be a little worried about collapse while checking it out thoroughly, so would go with someone and probably a good idea to be attached to a rope.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try bringing a shovel and screen and shoveling out the dirt. You might find some interesting things by screening.
SOunds like you need to get going on this whole thing before the state shuts you down!! 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions