Fort Necessity

Jrlevers

Dec 29, 2011
Bentleyville, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesodoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone attempted to detect Fort Necessity State Park? I realize that it's adjacent to a National Battlefield (Part of the National Park Service) but I would assume it falls under the state park rules (Declare finds, dig with a screwdriver etc etc...).

I would be curious to see bullet relics and whatnot that could be recovered there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fort_Necessity

Jeff.L

Dec 8, 2011
Port Of Pittsburgh PA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC & Garrett Pinpoint Pro
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Try to get permission to metal detect from a property owner thats close to the park as possible. Worst case, you get to see Fort Necessity.

colonial relic hunter

Nov 26, 2007
Harrison city, Pa
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X3 & X2 and X5. Whites spectrum & silver eagle ll. Garrett ADS 4.
That would be a big no-no to hunt there even though it's a state park. Not all state parks follow what other state parks do. The park ranger is the person you might want to talk to. You know there are many places around these two areas that are in private lands. Do you have any maps of the area from colonial times until now.? Years ago I hunted down there near the same area and there are still stuff down there. Plus I think it's the director of Fort Necessity(I could be wrong on who but someone there is doing it) hunts both these areas so now you know why you can't because he is doing it. I have seen his collection and it is the biggest you will see on Braddock's Defeat. Some of the collection is in Braddock's Library in Braddock. This is a must see. It's not the whole collecting but an impressive one to say the least.

Bill(pa)

www.TimeSearchers.net

[email protected]

Dave500

Apr 10, 2012
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am baffled by your question. There is no longer a Fort Necessity State Park. This is all NPS land.

Dave

Dave500

Apr 10, 2012
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be a big no-no to hunt there even though it's a state park. Not all state parks follow what other state parks do. The park ranger is the person you might want to talk to. You know there are many places around these two areas that are in private lands. Do you have any maps of the area from colonial times until now.? Years ago I hunted down there near the same area and there are still stuff down there. Plus I think it's the director of Fort Necessity(I could be wrong on who but someone there is doing it) hunts both these areas so now you know why you can't because he is doing it. I have seen his collection and it is the biggest you will see on Braddock's Defeat. Some of the collection is in Braddock's Library in Braddock. This is a must see. It's not the whole collecting but an impressive one to say the least.

Bill(pa)

Time Searchers Program Home Page @ timesearchers.net - A Bravenet.com Hosted Site

[email protected]

Bill,

I just checked out your photos on the TimeSearchers' site. You have a very impressive collection of F&I war artifacts.

Dave

BRYANK

May 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to this site and was woundering if anyone knew anything about cook forest national park and detecting there? I have a camp near by and was thinking about walking some of the trails thier this week end but I know nothing about rules and regs of a state park. thanks

Dave500

Apr 10, 2012
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to this site and was woundering if anyone knew anything about cook forest national park and detecting there? I have a camp near by and was thinking about walking some of the trails thier this week end but I know nothing about rules and regs of a state park. thanks

Here are the guidelines for PA State Parks:

PA DCNR - Metal Detecting

Dave

eze1417

Greenie
Jan 1, 2014
West Alexander
Detector(s) used
Legacy 3500 with Super-Scan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to work for the PA DCNR at Moraine State Park and you can metal detect in low use areas as long as you do not disturb anything. This means you cannot dig or disturb the soil in any way. Surface finds are okay as long as you do not destroy any vegetation, stay out of propagation areas, and do not hinder wildlife's normal habits. Moraine's park manager will let you keep artifacts as long as they do not have a significant relation to the park or it's history. Most old farm dumps are considered litter and in most cases park officials will allow you to remove bottles, coins, toys, etc. My family owned property that now sits within the park and even consists of a family burial plot. I maintain the plot and springhouse for the farm and have recovered numerous artifacts but have donated them to the park's museum and the local historical society. Sometimes its best to leave it for other people to enjoy!

hotrod53

Dec 20, 2008
south of Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Jetco Coinmaster, Jetco Huntmaster, Whites 5000-D, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Cutlass II, Minelab 705 Gold, 6" Coiltek Digger coil, currently Minelab Etrac, RNB battery pack, and a Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I've detected Cook Forest in a few spots, I have a camp in Marienville. I never really found much of interest other than one large cent, and no one has ever said anything to me while detecting. The Rangers have passed me along the road many times with no issue. Many of the older sites in that area are either still lived in or are someone's camp.

I did get permission to hunt 2 sites within a few miles of the park, one was a very old church that is no longer used, I didn't find anything. Another was an old cellar hole that the owner said to be careful of copperheads. I found a shielded nickel, mercs, and a few indians. Funny story... as I stand there with a shielded nickel and a few Indians in my pocket, a local stopped to chat. He said that the had hunted that place and never found anything. He said the last owner committed suicide in the yard and lay dead right there... as he pointed to the exact spot where I found the shielded nickel!

You have to be careful detecting up that way, you are a "flatlander" to them. Many locals are suspicious of us when they hear the Pittsburgh-ese. They're all great people up there, been around those parts since the 60's. Respect and friendliness is key IMO. I detected a site off of Rt 66 once, it looked like an old homesite in the middle of nowhere. A lady pulled up and asked if I had permission to hunt there, I respectfully replied, no, I really didn't think it would matter, nor did I know who to contact, (I should have known better, this was years ago) She then told me that she was the owner, I guess she was testing me. She said that she would "prefer that I wasn't there" to which I gladly complied. She then asked me if I had found anything :laughing7:.

The only State Park minor issue that I have had was Ohio Pyle, the Ranger told me screwdriver only. I have hunted many sites around there over the years, many wheat pennies and one indian is about the best I ever did around there

Last edited:

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from Butler and have a camp in Marienville as well. I have permission of a few landowners. Came across a dude detecting on National forest land, digging away. I asked him if he had permission. He said it's all legal till you get caught. We hunted Moraine with permission. Using only a screwdriver to dig with. As for fort N. You can only ask. The approach is everything.

hotrod53

Dec 20, 2008
south of Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Jetco Coinmaster, Jetco Huntmaster, Whites 5000-D, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Cutlass II, Minelab 705 Gold, 6" Coiltek Digger coil, currently Minelab Etrac, RNB battery pack, and a Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I've hunted Moraine too, found some silver rings there. I've never been bothered there, I think if you stay off of the beach between Memorial Day and Labor Day, you'll probably be OK. Not much in Marienville because the locals won't move out of those old places...LOL.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions