Fossil Hunt - More Big ole Sharks teeth!

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Silver Sabre
Whaaaaaaap! Clunk! Swoosh….. Swooosh. Soon a man is seen scuffling thru the muddy flats towards us. He’s holding his hand gingerly as he maneuvers thru the debris scattered along his path. Perhaps your thinking this must be a description of WWI Verdun France and a doughboy is making his way to an aid station. Naw, it’s just Gerald “Reel Tooth” making his way along the creek bed of GMR to show off another one of his great finds during his amazing dig.

Yessir, quite a crowd showed up for a early morning dig along the chilly banks of Greens Mill Run. It seems that after posting a few of my finds recently on the web, a all-star lineup of diggers showed up primed to find fossils due to the Aurora fossil hunt cancellation. A professional Gold mining crew led by RobJon from up country North Carolina showed up for the first time. I was sure they were going to start suction dredging the mighty GMR but they were unsure of the city ordinances. I soon found the Professor in the stream working Will and Lois’s claim. He had a professional GMR local hunter and ole Goosebumps busting gravel from 10 feet below the river bed. “Hey Professor, don’tcha know that’s Will’s claim? He’s got that on file at East Coast HQ! You’ll get fined if you get reported.” I stated to him. “I’m claiming this area in the name of ECU educational research!” He exclaimed, as he showed me a possible 3 inch Great White that had the top broken off.
DSC00278.JPG

I knew were I was not wanted so I kept moving upstream. Soon, I spotted the “King of Fossils” himself waiting on his folding chair for his hireling to produce a fossil worthy of his highness’s collection. It was good to see Brian in good health and back in the game; I just wonder how he gets these guys to do all the digging?
DSC00278.JPG
"King of Fossils"

The V.P. of E.C.F.C came up to me about then and demanded to be taken to the area that I worked a few weeks prior where I found that G.W. Anyway, this is the part of the story were chance took a turn for the benefit of Gerald.

Me and the V.P. met Gerald as he was returning back downstream, (maybe he was lonely) Anyways, he had a simply beautiful Great White in perfect shape I’m guessing over 2.5 inches. He decided to turn around and go back to the area he was working before instead of downstream and that my friends turned out to be the play of the day.

Within 30 minutes, Gerald scuffled over to where we were, and I could tell by the sh*t eating grin (see picture) he had something good.

DSC00278.JPG
A rare perfect Megalodon! No dings, all serrations, beautiful color, 4 + inches. It was a great find! Over the next hour I still did not have even a piece of bone from where I was digging! However Gerald kept pulling fossil after fossil from the same dang hole. Fossils such as, a turtle shell, another perfect front GW, the second 4inch Meg, and possibly the largest Mako from GMR in recent history.
DSC00272.JPG
It was nuts, but a fine day it was for Gerald! For the rest of us, the report was that everyone got something very nice, except for the V.P.of E.C.F.C who has bad luck at GMR. I’m not sure about the Gold mining team, but they were working hard to claim their first GMR mantelpieces. But as we all know the lady of the river doesn’t give her treasures to newcomers easily.
Semper Fi,
Mako Boy

WW2 relic hunting site
http://www.okinawarelics.com

Attachments

• DSC00271.JPG
    DSC00271.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 573
  • DSC00273.JPG
    DSC00273.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 582
  • DSC00275.JPG
    DSC00275.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 563
  • DSC00280.JPG
    DSC00280.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 582
Upvote 0

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
WOW! Looks like it was an awesome hunt, would love to do that sometime!
HH
Baggins

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
looks like the big shark tooth bug bit ya --- nice finds

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post, I really like those Megladon teeth! HH, Mike

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
That looks like alot of fun to me. I always have my eye out for fossils in the field. Just this past weekend I found a perfect fossilized clam about an inch and a half long. Both sides of the shell are perfectly intact. Not even comparable to what you guys are finding. Pennsylvania was nothing but a shallow sea when this clam was alive hundreds of millions of years ago.
Chris

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a spot like that here in Florida. I can tell folks from experience that fossil hunting in a stream bed is a ton of work. I love it but limit myself to about once a month to keep it fun. Otherwise, the back breaking digging and sifting would make it get very old quick. Nothing much like finding those mega teeth.

Great stuff there. Your friend looks a whole lot like Norm on Cheers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread