Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got another fossilized shark tooth from the same beach I found one last year. Looks like maybe some sort of extinct snaggletooth shark. I have never found any fossils at countless other locations along the river nor have I ever heard of anyone else finding any. Looks like Ive found a great spot to hunt for many years to come. I. also found what looks like another small fossil as well. Shark tooth is a little over 1”. Any ideas?
A60DB5EA-7EAD-4DCF-85AE-C8F90E8EC24D.jpeg
17002299-A7C2-463D-BC4E-5945CBF6B1A8.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 16

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got another fossilized shark tooth from the same beach I found one last year. Looks like maybe some sort of extinct snaggletooth shark. I have never found any at countless other locations along the river nor have I ever heard of anyone else finding any. Looks like Ive found a great spot to hunt for many years to come. I. also found what looks like another small fossil as well. Shark tooth is a little over 1”. Any ideas? View attachment 2037054 View attachment 2037055
No ideas,but it,s really cool!

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find !
Seems like there's a lot of them in your area - the "Hoover Boy's" have found a bunch.
That was Calvert Cliffs which is a long way down the bay from where Im hunting.

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its also possible that these teeth arrived here via Native American activity as there is much evidence they were highly prized commodities

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds. Yes, I believe it's a snaggletooth... Hemipristis species, and likely Hemipristis serra.

The smaller fossil appears to be part of the tooth plate from a ray... likely an Eagle Ray of the Aetomylaeus species or possibly Aetobatis.

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neat finds. Yes, I believe it's a snaggletooth... Hemipristis species, and likely Hemipristis serra.

The smaller fossil appears to be part of the tooth plate from a ray... likely an Eagle Ray of the Aetomylaeus species or possibly Aetobatis.
Thanks that was what I was thinking. The presence of a fossilized tooth plate from a ray probably means this site is a natural deposit and not of Native American origin

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got another fossilized shark tooth from the same beach I found one last year. Looks like maybe some sort of extinct snaggletooth shark. I have never found any fossils at countless other locations along the river nor have I ever heard of anyone else finding any. Looks like Ive found a great spot to hunt for many years to come. I. also found what looks like another small fossil as well. Shark tooth is a little over 1”. Any ideas? View attachment 2037054 View attachment 2037055
Very Nice!!! Cool Shark tooth!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't identify it, but boy would I sure like to find some ! Hard to do that in Illinois.
I just got back from a return trip and found a few smaller ones but this time I had to dig for them. Shovel and sifter for next trip

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread