Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got another fossilized shark tooth from the same beach I found one last year. Looks like maybe some sort of extinct snaggletooth shark. I have never found any fossils at countless other locations along the river nor have I ever heard of anyone else finding any. Looks like Ive found a great spot to hunt for many years to come. I. also found what looks like another small fossil as well. Shark tooth is a little over 1”. Any ideas?
A60DB5EA-7EAD-4DCF-85AE-C8F90E8EC24D.jpeg
17002299-A7C2-463D-BC4E-5945CBF6B1A8.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 16
Got another fossilized shark tooth from the same beach I found one last year. Looks like maybe some sort of extinct snaggletooth shark. I have never found any at countless other locations along the river nor have I ever heard of anyone else finding any. Looks like Ive found a great spot to hunt for many years to come. I. also found what looks like another small fossil as well. Shark tooth is a little over 1”. Any ideas?View attachment 2037054View attachment 2037055
No ideas,but it,s really cool!

Cool find !
Seems like there's a lot of them in your area - the "Hoover Boy's" have found a bunch.
That was Calvert Cliffs which is a long way down the bay from where Im hunting.

Its also possible that these teeth arrived here via Native American activity as there is much evidence they were highly prized commodities

Neat finds. Yes, I believe it's a snaggletooth... Hemipristis species, and likely Hemipristis serra.

The smaller fossil appears to be part of the tooth plate from a ray... likely an Eagle Ray of the Aetomylaeus species or possibly Aetobatis.

Neat finds. Yes, I believe it's a snaggletooth... Hemipristis species, and likely Hemipristis serra.

The smaller fossil appears to be part of the tooth plate from a ray... likely an Eagle Ray of the Aetomylaeus species or possibly Aetobatis.
Thanks that was what I was thinking. The presence of a fossilized tooth plate from a ray probably means this site is a natural deposit and not of Native American origin

Got another fossilized shark tooth from the same beach I found one last year. Looks like maybe some sort of extinct snaggletooth shark. I have never found any fossils at countless other locations along the river nor have I ever heard of anyone else finding any. Looks like Ive found a great spot to hunt for many years to come. I. also found what looks like another small fossil as well. Shark tooth is a little over 1”. Any ideas?View attachment 2037054View attachment 2037055
Very Nice!!! Cool Shark tooth!!! Congrats!!!

I can't identify it, but boy would I sure like to find some ! Hard to do that in Illinois.
I just got back from a return trip and found a few smaller ones but this time I had to dig for them. Shovel and sifter for next trip

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back