Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found 1853 seated Liberty half dime today. Broke 1800's 2 times this week

Today started off good as the rain headed east and the sun came out. I had to hunt at a place that I have hunted several times this summer because I couldn't hunt the 1836 homested as the realtor had to show the place so I stayed away. The other place is 500 yards away (lucky Me) so I headed over there. I have pulled some early 1900 wheaties from here so I know the place is close to 100 years old at least. I started out with my ace 250 in the coin mode set at half sensitivity as I am still fairly new at this so I am not using full sensitivity yet for the deeper stuff as I still don't have the sounds down good. I had scanned the front yard thouroughly on previous hunts so I decided to move up and try the all metal mode with the sensitivity at max and then notched out all of the trash. I now had only pennies and up. I was able to pick up a few Wheaties, a key, a brass candle holder (age???), a brass star, an old shotgun shell and a 22 short casing. I decided to head out into the side yard as this had not been hunted to thoroughly. After about 1 hour I was passing around a tree when I picked up a dime/Pennie reading that was showing 6 inches. Don't laugh at the size of my plug as I am not yet good with this larger coil on pinpointing. So I started to dig, probe, and recheck as the hole grew bigger. After a cubic yard of dirt removed I was able to put the coil inside the hole. A little more digging then the pinpointer. Finally a buzz. I started to carefully removing the dirt to see what I had found. Then I saw a little shinny edge. I thought, pull top. As I removed it and rubbed the dirt there it was. A little bitty half dime. Now I am new at this and don't know a whole lot about coins but when I saw the date and what it was my heart was racing. (I'm on blood pressure medication) So I know that didn't help. I almost did a happy dance all by myself. This place is out in the country and really quiet . I love hunting in this kind of environment as it is good therapy for me. I have no idea on value as I won't sell any of my findings (unless a million dollar find) ;D The guy next to this place where I had a few generatio of family believes that there was an older place where this house is standing. Hope you enjoy the pics as I can be very thorough somtimes. Ron Smith

P.S. Thats me at the Ontario California truck stop back in March.Now you can a what a crazyjarhead looks like (USMC Retired)

Picture403.jpg

Picture407.jpg

Picture410.jpg

Picture411.jpg

Picture408.jpg

Picture409.jpg

Picture417.jpg

Picture417.jpg
Picture413.jpg

Picture414.jpg

Picture415.jpg

Picture402.jpg

Picture404.jpg

Picture405.jpg

Picture416.jpg

Picture029-1.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Found 1853 seated Liberty half dime today. Broke 1800's 2 times this week

toolman61 said:
u should take a weedeater and get around the house and esp. the porch alot of coins under that porch i bet . great finds and alot more to find i'd say. good luck and HH, tom

I'd like to but I will have to ask the owner. I never thought of that as I did not want to disturb her property. She seems to be a nice lady, but I'll have to think on that on. I tried to get as close as I could without getting into poison ivy.

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT

That is what I call a nice days hunting.
I like the seated very much.
Keep it up.

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

What a great site..congrats on the seated, hope you find more oldies out there!

Nat

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro

congrats on a grate find
Ive found many old coins and even spanish silver, however ive set to dig a seated coin. its def on my wish list. great job

P.s. dont worry about the hole
thats how you dont scratch a nice coin lol

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks Natman, Ugotti, Radarwill

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

A delicious little find! Congrats on a beautiful coin!

BillyC

Jan 28, 2008

Congrats on the 1/2 dime! That is a fantastic find, and in great shape also! Very good hunt indeed. I enjoyed all the pictures.

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting