Found 41 Indian Head Pennies!

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
Yesterday I got some bad news. The source for half of my coins is no more. The powers that be said it had to end. I didn't get any more explanation, but I imagine that they realized how much of an expense it was to help me. Lately the halves from that bank have stunk so I don't feel too bad about moving on there, but I am bummed that they will not be collecting customer coin rolls from there. Those coins yielded some good stuff and it is far easier to get such coins from a teller I built up a relationship with rather than go around to different banks to scrounge them up. I am also a bit concerned that the higher up has put an end to another source bank as they are the same company.

As only you other CRH'ers could understand ... I was bummed.

And so when I looked through the last of the coin I'll probably get from that source I was hoping for something good, so as to go out with a bang, etc. 75 small dollars, 200 quarters, 950 dimes, and 400 nickels only turned up 2 Canadian dimes and 1 Canadian nickel.

Lastly, I searched the 4,300 hand rolled pennies I got from my ex-source. 18 of the rolls seemed to be from the same person as they were all taped at the ends. I've had good luck with taped rolls before, so I had hopes, but not too high hopes. I soon found out my hope was well founded when the second taped roll I looked at produced two Indian Head pennies. "Two in one roll!," I thought, "that's awesome." To explain my fist pumping I told my wife that I've only found 8 total in over 800,000 pennies searched. A few rolls later I surpassed that "once in a lifetime experience" and found four Indian Head pennies in a roll. At that point I realized something sweet was going on. Would the other rolls have more Indian Heads or a ton of Wheat pennies!? A few rolls later I found a roll with 10 Indian Head pennies and then a roll with with 21 Indian Head pennies. My record breaking stopped there, but I did have a roll with three and one final roll with one (not taped, but probably from the same source).

Strangely there were only two common Wheats in all of the taped rolls. I did find two good Canadians in the taped rolls, however, 1935, a George V, and 1937, an early George VI.

Most of the IH's are in good or less condition. Three of them are definitely better than good and have full Liberty. The dates of the Indian Heads were:

1882, 1883, 1887, 1889, 1893(2), 1896, 1897, 1899(3), 1900(2), 1901(2), 1902(2), 1903(3), 1905(2), 1906(-8-), 1907(5), 1908(2), 1909(4)

This certainly helps make up for the loss of a good source and coming just two weeks after the gold coin find from the same bank I feel incredibly blessed and lucky.

... and yes I did get all customer rolls from this source and check the back of the 1908 and 1909's for mint marks! :wink:

Brian

Attachments

• 41indians-50-percent.JPG
    41indians-50-percent.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 492
Upvote 0

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
That's not a once in a lifetime story. that's a once in a HUNDRED lifetimes story!

Excellent WONDERFUL find!!!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow! that must be a record!

HH
-GC

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Astounding!!!!
You found about 20 years worth of penny searching effort in those rolls!
Congratulations !!! :occasion16:

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
That must have really had you fired-up!! That is exactly why this hobby is so addicting......you just never know what the next roll will reveal!! Good work!!
- Grizz

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome......no...sick! Bigtime congrats to you on this one. What a score!

I have to agree with the above about being a record. I don't recall anyone finding near anywhere near that amount in one day.

You deserve a rolling wahoo for this one...............again, kudos Brian!

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a real WOW of a find Brian. Big congrats!! I always imagine most Indians found in the wild are culls but yours mostly look like decent "Goods" if not better.

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Dang stole my glory dude! I just found a customer wrapped roll with 54 IHCs and a period token that is a copper nickel IHC with no date and the words 'ONE C*NT' on the back. Replace the '*' with a 'U.' I'm on vacation and don't have a camera or steady internet access. I sent you a [kestrelia] a PM about it though. Expect a full report on Monday or Tuesday!

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
How SWEET is that. I never have that kind of luck.
I scarffed up 6 rolls of halves from the banks in the north part of my town and there was nothing!
Good luck next time, too.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Great scoop. I have only found 2 IH's in the wild. allthough I haven't searched Penny's much I have started to pick up a $50 bag here and there....

Sorry about you situation with your source.... Care to elaborate more of the story?

Mojo

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Truly awesome find there K !

Yes, a once in a lifetime find, no doubt.

Mucho kudos !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread