Ticked off at Bank of America

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, so i take my son to the local B of A today to get $25 worth of pennies to look through.....and they refused to give us any!!!...saying we had to open an account first! I have been to many banks with no problems buying pennies for him EXCEPT this BofA....Has anyone else experienced this before?

RJ

Upvote 0

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dont roll hunt but i call um the bank of aint

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it depends on where you are. there are 5 BOA's near me. Only one has ever asked me if I had an account-every time I go in. The others have never asked.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
thrillathahunt said:
Hey all, so i take my son to the local B of A today to get $25 worth of pennies to look through.....and they refused to give us any!!!...saying we had to open an account first! I have been to many banks with no problems buying pennies for him EXCEPT this BofA....Has anyone else experienced this before?

RJ

RJ,

I don't mean any disrespect, but why should you expect them to do anything for you if you don't have an account there? I will admit that I have been able from time to time buy halves from banks where I don't have accounts and I am quite amazed that they allow this. But generally I feel that if a bank or CU is going to either sell me coins on a regular basis or take my dump coins, the least I can do is open a $100 savings account to show good faith.

It is a cheap investment to do this and then you can go to all the branches of that particular bank in your town and when they ask the dreaded question, "do you have an account here?", you can say, hell yes I do.

Jim

silverfinder

Dec 31, 2006
I hate the Bank of America. Fees for everything, restrictions galore, including an outrageous restriction on the number of cash withdrawals allowable per month on a money market account - only six withdrawals allowed. Ahem, it's MY MONEY, Goddamn it! I'd close out my account but I can't at this time for reasons it would not be appropriate to divulge. Also, my local branch stopped accepting my one box of half dollars per week that I was bringing to them for deposit after roll hunting. This was over a year ago, when I had over $100,000 on deposit. (No longer, believe me.) All this, for maybe two per cent interest. Snotty staff, too. Drop dead, BOA. Worst bank I've ever had the misfortune to deal with.

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim, I get your point, but it takes about a half hour to sit down and open an account. All I am asking is to take some pennies off thier hands. I don't think that is asking too much? I mean all the other banks GLADLY do it for us.

RJ

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
thrillathahunt said:
Jim, I get your point, but it takes about a half hour to sit down and open an account. All I am asking is to take some pennies off thier hands. I don't think that is asking too much? I mean all the other banks GLADLY do it for us.

RJ

It isnt asking too much in reality, but banks are desperate for business now. Many CRHers, myself included, often catch crap from banks where we do have accounts, for example taking our dumps, ordering a bunch of boxes for us, etc. So to see a bank where you don't have an account raise a stink does not seem to out of the question from my past experiences. You only have to open an account one time, so the 30 minutes spent could perhaps be time well spent if you can utilize that same bank over and over for getting or dumping coins.

Jim

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
The way I have seen it work is if you help them... say by asking if they have half dollars (which they HATE to have in their vaults) they will NOT ask you for an account number or anything. BUT if you start annoying them by asking them to round up customer rolls from different teller vaults or get big boxes of coins, they start asking if you have an account with them.

Tellers are a special bunch. =)

I've had some fun with them recently. If I'm buying or selling rolled coin at a bank and they ask if I have an account I instinctively say "Yes" or "Of course" and that is normally the end of it. But sometimes they ask for a name or account number. If its the name I make one up on the spot to have some fun, and if its the account number I tell them I just made the account and don't know it or have it on me. If they procedd to try and find me in the system and don't (because I'm not in it), I tell them that I will come back later when my account shows up or my card gets mailed to me, etc.

It gets you a lot more coin pretending to have an account with them. And you only get called out on it at a very small ratio.

~Dave

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I deal with BOA, I finally opened an account with them as they were doing alot for me as far as roll hunting and ordering. Now I order boxes upon boxes and they have no problem with that and are very friendly. I will say that I only use the account for the purpose of CRHing and I have also never dumped coin there.

AMC

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Every branch is different.
Some are much better than others. I would feel lucky if a bank that I didn't have an account with gave up pennies.
Sometimes they will be short of coins and not even give any to account holders.
Some branches have a per-box fee they pay to their distributor and others have a monthly fee for unlimited coin delivery.
Don't be upset.
Walk across the street and ask another bank for pennies.

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
I had problems with B of A initially in that they balked at providing coin without an account. I opened up a $300 savings account, and have ordered coin from many branches without any problem at all.......and no one has since asked for my account number!! Figures!
Thanks, bc

daveg13

Aug 1, 2008
The first box that I got at a B of A the teller asked if I was a business. When I said no, she had to go ask someone if she could give me "that many pennies." Came back with a smile and said that'll be $25. Picked up a box today and no questions asked. Around here Commerce bank is the best. Never any questions when buying, free coin counting, open late and even open on Sundays. :thumbsup: Add to that I've been averaging 26% copper and 17 wheats per box from them. I think I'm going to open a account with them.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
i no what your saying it gets super annoying. i had the same problem with BOA then one day i went to as branch and asked for halves. They were super nice and said they had none but they could order some for me. I ordered two boxes a week for almost six months then one day i said screw it they haev been so good to me its about time i opend an account for them. All in all it does get annoying b/.c u cant open 30 accounts at 30 banks, but take my word for it it was worthit. Now i can go to any branch without a worry and alays get what i want let it be halves, or dimes, or pennys.

Historyhound

Nov 2, 2006
Schenectady New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
thrillathahunt said:

RJ

You are not alone. Here, in the Albany NY area, Key Bank and Trustco Bank are the most unfriendly banks to deal with. If you don't have an account, they won't even talk to you. I do ALL my transactions with BankNorth, formerly known as Evergreen Bank. I don't have an account with any bank, but they don't care who you are, and have the most friendliest employees. I've actually gotten people to move their accounts from Key and Trustco to BankNorth, just because of the experiences I've relayed to them. I remember a time when EVERY bank had a friendly attitude, not anymore. I suggest to anyone reading this, your money is better off with BankNorth.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
prospector40 said:
Next time, tell them you are an illegal. You will get them with no questions asked
I don't think this post needs a racial twist. It is doing just fine on it's own. That is what makes posts go south.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Silver_Fox said:
prospector40 said:
Next time, tell them you are an illegal. You will get them with no questions asked
I don't think this post needs a racial twist. It is doing just fine on it's own. That is what makes posts go south.

I don't think Prospector is being racist or racial. His post is probably based on news reports months ago about how BOA was going to create a credit card that you could apply for without having a soc security number. The news stories made it out that it was created for illegal aliens (no particular race mentioned). I don't know if they ever went through with the idea or if it was shelved.

In light of the above, I thought Prospector's one-liner was pretty good.

Jim

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
jim4silver said:
Silver_Fox said:
prospector40 said:

I don't think Prospector is being racist or racial. His post is probably based on news reports months ago about how BOA was going to create a credit card that you could apply for without having a soc security number. The news stories made it out that it was created for illegal aliens (no particular race mentioned). I don't know if they ever went through with the idea or if it was shelved.

Jim

I agree strongly. Its seems now a days you can get just about anything with no questions asked if your an illegal alien. Id cards, Health insurance, and school aid. Its kinda rediculus. I would want to move here too if i ilved somewhere else. And the thing that kills me is that everyone drives around with there flag hangin from there car windows and mirrors. Im Italian however i love America and i would never disrepect it by flying another countrys colors on our soil. Imagin if somones moved to say Mexico, Cuba, or the D.R, and tried flying and American flag. They'd shoot ya.
Our for fathers are prob rolling in there graves.
ok enough with the rant.
Go get your pennys

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not me......

Least-wise here in the Souf, from MY experience, the tellers are real nice. The BOA ones....

They'll just about JUMP ~ to get the coin I ask for. Some of them will even give me a phone call telling me they just got a deposit of what I ask for when I'm in the lobby....

'Course, I'm a nice guy, and good lookin' to boot......

Y'all can hate 'em if you wanna, but they're nice to me.....

And............. BOA is NATIONWIDE.............

Branches everywhere.

That's why I have an account with them..........

Robin

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
jim4silver said:
Silver_Fox said:
prospector40 said:

Jim
I did not know that. Sorry Prospector.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I luv BOA! They gave me my 6 10 cent Barbers last week, hoping for more of the same this week. AMC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread