nuggeteer

Jun 7, 2013
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi everyone,
Headed out on my bike this week to four areas with good auriferous geology and many indications of mining. Lately, I've been spending time taking notes and making maps of all the information I'm gathering from various libraries and county departments. Having worked in both a library and bookstore I'm aware of the increasing popularity of e-readers, but there is a lot in old dusty books that will never be digitized or found on the internet.
Anyway, the first area was one of ground sluicings which I had detected before. I hiked up a bank of yellow metavolcanic bedrock that had scatters of red stained quartz and dark iron rich cobbles; the sort of scene where gold might make an appearance. It was also the scene of a pile of old junk which, of course, had been shot full of holes. I drifted over to the tailings, checking the troughs and slopes. A wide but shallow wash meandered down from a bank, and I focused my efforts there. Everything that ran off that bank came down to this wash and it was only two inches deep. Beneath the dust was a stretch of jagged bedrock to catch the heavy stuff. Unfortunately, it wasn't long before I realized that the only heavy stuff it caught was lead birdshot, and I got plenty. Toward the end of the day, I got tired of all the junk and moved up to the head of the wash which looked to be less affected by human activity. Within a few minutes, I had two small pieces of gold.
The second area was below steep hillsides that were mined in the late 1850's for gold-bearing quartz. I found this spot by following a ditch the old miners dug to bring water to their sluices. There was an escarpment above the ditches where the miners left off, and strips between the cuts that weren't sluiced. I detected these areas, but the gold must've been too deep or lacking thereof because I didn't find anything.
The third area was alongside a seasonal creek that had placers worked in the early 1850's. There were also several small claims along it as recently as the 1990's. A bald eagle was circling overhead when I arrived. The area looked really good, but much of it was situated under an old dump and after about an hour of my detector screaming at me I gave up. The bulk of the trash looked to be from the 1950's and I might go back just to dig through the heaps.
The fourth area was one I visited several months ago; before fully understanding how to use this detector. It was completely without trash as I had cleaned it thoroughly by digging up every single target. I remember my pockets being so full of rusted metal that the coil would pick up on it whenever I knelt down. The area was down slope from a large earthen dam and dry reservoir likely constructed for the operation of "booming." The ground sluicings were extensive but covered by manzanita to such a point that only a small portion was open to detecting. As I swung away, I continuously kicked off the veneer of pine needles and rounded cobbles to expose the clay layer beneath. In the process, I uncovered a thick line of huge red ants which immediately began ascending my legs. Luckily, only one made it above my socks to bite. Not long afterward, I began getting the signals I had missed before and at the end of the day I had four more pieces of gold, one being the largest I've ever found.

Below: the first area and the gold, the second area, the third area, the bald eagle, the fourth area and the gold, the gold

PIC_0096.JPG PIC_0425.JPG PIC_0363.JPG PIC_0365.JPG PIC_0473.JPG PIC_0335.JPG PIC_0429.JPG PIC_0414.JPG

Upvote 0

pannerman

Jul 11, 2013
Sacramento, Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and pics. I used to go prospecting with a friend who had a vlf detector. He was always complaining about trash and bullets. I spend alot of time panning but now I'm thinking about getting a vlf. It sounds like you have an adventure every time you go out. The popular ones seem to be the gmt and the Gold bug. What are the hardest obstacles? How many places do you go that you don't find any gold?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
just out of curiousity, what would nuggets like those be worth? I would like to own some natural gold

OP
OP
nuggeteer

nuggeteer

Jun 7, 2013
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Great story and pics. I used to go prospecting with a friend who had a vlf detector. He was always complaining about trash and bullets. I spend alot of time panning but now I'm thinking about getting a vlf. It sounds like you have an adventure every time you go out. The popular ones seem to be the gmt and the Gold bug. What are the hardest obstacles? How many places do you go that you don't find any gold?

pannerman- Biggest obstacle: Manzanita. I went out to this spot yesterday and didn't get anything...

PIC_0541.JPG

just out of curiousity, what would nuggets like those be worth? I would like to own some natural gold

jeff-gordon, I'm not sure. Sometime in the next few weeks, I'll get a .01 gram scale and post weights as I continue to find more gold.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for showing us those beautiful golds and fine story too on your adventure ! :occasion14:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nicely done!

Great finds and love the pictures.

All the best,

Lanny

Rivers rat

Oct 21, 2012
LONDON UK
Detector(s) used
Deus/Laser scout
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done !!!!Love the bike idea ,the pictures and the finds!

RR

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
congratulations!
dont give too many details though

Cassews

Dec 29, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett/White
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are beautiful nuggets for sure ! I aspire to find some like that one day in my lifetime. Right now all we are finding is flour gold.. BUT hey all that flour gold adds up !! :-)

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sadly, he has not been around since 2013.
I hope that he is still detecting though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread