Found 9 more Isaac & Campbell Buckles today!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Yesterday I went back to the site where last month I found two of my three British Martingales and 3 - Isaac & Campbell buckles. I detected for 3 hours in the field behind the house and almost immediately found another buckle! I photographed the first two I found, but after the third buckle showed up, I figured you’d get the idea! :laughing7: The total Isaac & Campbell buckles found today was 8.5 and a partial horse rosette. I have applied beeswax to the bottom row of buckles, but I’ve left the top row as is. The iron that was coming up was also old and interesting. I did some online research and learned that soldiers were given land grants by the King of England following the War of 1812 and settled this town in 1820.

This site really puzzles me… how did so many of these buckles end up in a 50’ x 200’ area? :icon_scratch: My total Isaac & Campbell buckle count so far is 11.5, so I feel there has to be more here! :thumbsup:

I’ve included a couple of pics of how this buckle was used on a CSA knapsack.

Thanks for looking,
Dave

The Isaac and Campbell Knapsack

The original knapsacks were manufactured by the Isaac and Campbell Company in London and brought into the U. S. by the Confederacy.
The knapsacks were hand sewn with cloth herringbone twill tape ties that were used to close the fold pocket on the knapsack. The russet
leather harness was made of top grade leather with 1 1/4 inch roller buckles. Bridle leather corner guards protected the corners of the cloth bag.
The leather harness was colored with a black dye giving it the rich russet color.

Attachments

• SDC10683.JPG
    SDC10683.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 121
  • SDC10682.JPG
    SDC10682.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 133
  • SDC10684.JPG
    SDC10684.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 127
  • SDC10685.JPG
    SDC10685.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 118
  • SDC10681.JPG
    SDC10681.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 121
  • SDC10697.JPG
    SDC10697.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 112
  • SDC10691.JPG
    SDC10691.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 122
  • SDC10692.JPG
    SDC10692.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 124
  • SDC10693.JPG
    SDC10693.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 132
  • SDC10694.JPG
    SDC10694.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 128
  • isaaccampbellfront1.jpg.w300h246.jpg
    isaaccampbellfront1.jpg.w300h246.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 126
  • icksback.jpg
    icksback.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 9

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soooooooo impressed with your sites and hunts lately bud. You really are putting in the time and research and that's how we make the great finds and lots of em. Very happy for you and those buckles are awesome. Obviously lots of activity there and could be something very special hiding in that dirt brother, now go find it so we can all enjoy it

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, now that's really cool! Crazy to find so many in one spot!

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Nine in one site! Much more waiting to be found. Congrats!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relics, great pix!

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done bro. Your hunting sites and style are really evolving. Very impressive!!

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing Dave ! You have been on fire all fall ! I hope the weather holds a little longer while you are still hot ! MaineRelic

Darrow

Jul 22, 2014
Sherman, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 550, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your writing is a wonderful history lesson, I so enjoy seeing and learning where you are and what finds you uncover to tell the story. I appreciate the effort you made showing the difference the beeswax makes on the buckle and pretty cool to see what the knapsack looks like. Thank you for a great post!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am with you Dave....why are there so many CSA artifacts up there? Maybe a collector many years ago? Or maybe someone there was actually a broker for the London office? Very neat Dave!

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt..
Hey,,You have any idea what this is?
I found one about a year ago.
Thanks George

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20141115_073847.png
    ForumRunner_20141115_073847.png
    189.8 KB · Views: 90
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Soooooooo impressed with your sites and hunts lately bud. You really are putting in the time and research and that's how we make the great finds and lots of em. Very happy for you and those buckles are awesome. Obviously lots of activity there and could be something very special hiding in that dirt brother, now go find it so we can all enjoy it

Thanks very much for your support Abe!:thumbsup:
I've been detecting more the past two weeks then I have over the past two months! :laughing7:
This is because winters coming and the ground was already frozen i a number of spots here.
But I'll keep at it until I can't break the soil!
Dave

Wow, now that's really cool! Crazy to find so many in one spot!

I know Buck, this is just crazy! :thumbsup:
Now if I could just find something here directly related to military.
Dave

Wow! Nine in one site! Much more waiting to be found. Congrats!

Actually I've found 12 of these buckles and 2 British Officers martingales here. :thumbsup:
Thanks for your post bootybandit,
Dave

Nice relics, great pix!
Thanks very much Brad! :occasion14:

Well done bro. Your hunting sites and style are really evolving. Very impressive!!

Thanks for your support here my friend! :thumbsup:
Best of luck to you,
Dave

Amazing Dave ! You have been on fire all fall ! I hope the weather holds a little longer while you are still hot ! MaineRelic

Thanks Dave!
Isn't it always the way... when we start to get hot, it starts to snow! :laughing7:
Dave

Your writing is a wonderful history lesson, I so enjoy seeing and learning where you are and what finds you uncover to tell the story. I appreciate the effort you made showing the difference the beeswax makes on the buckle and pretty cool to see what the knapsack looks like. Thank you for a great post!
Thank you so much for your post Darrow! :occasion14:
It's gratifying to know that my efforts to make a post interesting are at least worth your time to read them.

No offense to the other members who post their finds here, but I feel that the 'finds' need to be put into perspective.
I understand and can appreciate the need to keep a good site a secret, but this is just how I choose to post my finds!

I think it makes what I find more interesting!
Best of luck to you Darrow,
Dave

PS. I've visited your state 4 times and I love how proud you all are about the history of the great State of Texas! :thumbsup:

I am with you Dave....why are there so many CSA artifacts up there? Maybe a collector many years ago? Or maybe someone there was actually a broker for the London office? Very neat Dave!
Thanks for your post and for your theories here Dave! :occasion14: You've got to remember that back in the 1800's here in Canada we were still part of the British Commonwealth.
This is the main reason why I find so many British Military relics... don't forget we didn't become 'Canada the country' in 1867.

Personally, I feel this may have been a staging area for something related to British Military activity.
I've researched the history of the town and the only reference to the military is that "soldiers were given land grants by the King of England following the War of 1812 and settled this town in 1820."
Dave

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Why something turns up in multiple numbers is always a real :icon_scratch:, and this another example of that exactly. WTG on the buckles Dave, and like you said there's probably more out there in the area. Like the buckles in the bottom row, it sure gives them a nice rich look to the metal.

I'm wondering if there was a surplus sale of leather straps, or bags where the leather was repurposed and the buckles were discarded, that or something in that manner. Farmers are great at repurposing things, the original recyclers, and it seems that nothing was thrown out-more like rotted out.:laughing7:

Ground is getting hard, -6C this morning but a bright sunny day for sure. Best of luck on the return pre winter hunts Dave, there's a few left yet for sure.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting theories here as to why 11.5 of them buckles popped up at that site, I couldn't offer any of my own as most here can actually be the reason, all I know is keep at it at that site, who knows what other treasures lie ahead!!

Great site, post and pics!

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt..

Hey,,You have any idea what this is?
I found one about a year ago.
Thanks George

Hi George!
I called it a horse rosette, because that's what I assume it is. :icon_scratch:
It's brass over lead with a metal mount plate imbedded in the back for mounting to the horses halter.
But in all honesty, there are others here who know more about these type of relics then I do.
Always enjoy seeing your finds too George! :occasion14:
Dave

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi George!
I called it a horse rosette, because that's what I assume it is. :icon_scratch:
It's brass over lead with a metal mount plate imbedded in the back for mounting to the horses halter.
But in all honesty, there are others here who know more about these type of relics then I do.
Always enjoy seeing your finds too George! :occasion14:
Dave

Thanks...the one i found looks the same except my is made out of pewter..

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Why something turns up in multiple numbers is always a real :icon_scratch:, and this another example of that exactly. WTG on the buckles Dave, and like you said there's probably more out there in the area. Like the buckles in the bottom row, it sure gives them a nice rich look to the metal.

I'm wondering if there was a surplus sale of leather straps, or bags where the leather was repurposed and the buckles were discarded, that or something in that manner. Farmers are great at repurposing things, the original recyclers, and it seems that nothing was thrown out-more like rotted out.:laughing7:

Ground is getting hard, -6C this morning but a bright sunny day for sure. Best of luck on the return pre winter hunts Dave, there's a few left yet for sure.
Thanks for your input here J! :occasion14:
The theory of 're-purposing' the leather straps certainly makes sense, but I'm hoping this is an undocumented military encampment! :laughing7:

But I sincerely doubt this is the case though,
Dave

Very interesting theories here as to why 11.5 of them buckles popped up at that site, I couldn't offer any of my own as most here can actually be the reason, all I know is keep at it at that site, who knows what other treasures lie ahead!!

Great site, post and pics!

I feel the same way... but as Jim mentioned above, the winter weather is almost upon us!
My concern is that this field will be planted again before I can get back to detect in the spring. :icon_scratch:
Thanks for your post my friend,
Dave

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome buckles! And lots of them!
Great job restoring them. It must be a gathering place or something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread