Found 9 more Isaac & Campbell Buckles today!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Yesterday I went back to the site where last month I found two of my three British Martingales and 3 - Isaac & Campbell buckles. I detected for 3 hours in the field behind the house and almost immediately found another buckle! I photographed the first two I found, but after the third buckle showed up, I figured you’d get the idea! :laughing7: The total Isaac & Campbell buckles found today was 8.5 and a partial horse rosette. I have applied beeswax to the bottom row of buckles, but I’ve left the top row as is. The iron that was coming up was also old and interesting. I did some online research and learned that soldiers were given land grants by the King of England following the War of 1812 and settled this town in 1820.

This site really puzzles me… how did so many of these buckles end up in a 50’ x 200’ area? :icon_scratch: My total Isaac & Campbell buckle count so far is 11.5, so I feel there has to be more here! :thumbsup:

I’ve included a couple of pics of how this buckle was used on a CSA knapsack.

Thanks for looking,
Dave

The Isaac and Campbell Knapsack

The original knapsacks were manufactured by the Isaac and Campbell Company in London and brought into the U. S. by the Confederacy.
The knapsacks were hand sewn with cloth herringbone twill tape ties that were used to close the fold pocket on the knapsack. The russet
leather harness was made of top grade leather with 1 1/4 inch roller buckles. Bridle leather corner guards protected the corners of the cloth bag.
The leather harness was colored with a black dye giving it the rich russet color.

Attachments

• SDC10683.JPG
    SDC10683.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 122
  • SDC10682.JPG
    SDC10682.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 134
  • SDC10684.JPG
    SDC10684.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 128
  • SDC10685.JPG
    SDC10685.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 119
  • SDC10681.JPG
    SDC10681.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 122
  • SDC10694.JPG
    SDC10694.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 129
  • SDC10693.JPG
    SDC10693.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 133
  • SDC10692.JPG
    SDC10692.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 125
  • SDC10691.JPG
    SDC10691.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 123
  • SDC10697.JPG
    SDC10697.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 113
  • isaaccampbellfront1.jpg.w300h246.jpg
    isaaccampbellfront1.jpg.w300h246.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 127
  • icksback.jpg
    icksback.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 9
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome buckles! And lots of them!
Great job restoring them. It must be a gathering place or something.

Thanks for your post and for your thoughts on the site MsBB! :thumbsup:
I'm heading back there again this morning to widen my search grid, I'll post anything of interest.

Keep warm in MA, cause it's darn cold here! :laughing7:
Dave

killer stuff man. Those are nice finds in CS sites...I have found the hook but never the latch...excellent stuff bud.
Thanks very much Dan! :occasion14:
I expect I'll find more of these buckles this morning too.
It will certainly make them a lot less rare here in Canada. :laughing7:

Best of luck to you,
Dave

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good luck on the hunt Dave, but really what's with this white stuff on the ground?:laughing7:

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dave that is Amazing, i'm not sure why there is so many in quantity, but I am sure glad your finding them. Your efforts may possibly find that one relic that will give us the answer To this historical event. Happy hunting and Thanks for Sharing, Bill

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good luck on the hunt Dave, but really what's with this white stuff on the ground?:laughing7:

Thanks very much Jim,
I hunted for 2.5hrs this morning with frozen hands & feet and it was snowing the whole time I was there! :laughing7:
If you get a chance, check out my finds from this morning when I post them in about an hour... you're not going to believe what I found! :icon_thumright:
Dave

Dave that is Amazing, i'm not sure why there is so many in quantity, but I am sure glad your finding them. Your efforts may possibly find that one relic that will give us the answer To this historical event. Happy hunting and Thanks for Sharing, Bill

Thanks very much for your post Bill! :thumbsup:
This is a mystery that I too would love to solve.
One of the members on another site suggested there might have been a saddlery on-site, the leather was reused but the buckles were dis-guarded? :icon_scratch:
Love your state Bill, I get to spend a week in Louisville every October working a trade show at the Kentucky International Convention Center
Dave

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dave, do you mind mentioning the town you're digging near?
Just curious...my many times great grandfather was one of those soldiers who was given land after the war of 1812. He was only a Quartermaster with the 113th Regiment of Foot, but badgered the Earl of Bathurst until he got 500 acres deeded to him around Dundas. His son later bought Hatt's Falls and re-named it Webster's Falls, you may be familiar with it.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks very much Jim,
I hunted for 2.5hrs this morning with frozen hands & feet and it was snowing the whole time I was there! :laughing7:
If you get a chance, check out my finds from this morning when I post them in about an hour... you're not going to believe what I found! :icon_thumright:
Dave

I think I see it in the hand!Wow:occasion14:

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pepperj;4266589 said:
I think I see it in the hand!Wow:occasion14:

Thanks Jim! :thumbsup:
I'm going to post this mornings hunt right now!
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions