L

Lpetite

Nov 11, 2015
Gonzales,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
they wouldnt make a call I was told that i wasn't that lucky and it has to be a steel that's too corroded to stick to a magnet... So I guess I'm going to have to take it to another place.

Last edited:

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were idiots. Rust sticks to a magnet. With that statement alone you would need to have zero confidence in their opinion fake or not.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
they wouldnt make a call I was told that i wasn't that lucky and it has to be a steel that's too corroded to stick to a magnet... So I guess I'm going to have to take it to another place.

The so called "expert" you took it to kind of sounds like his expertise lies between the covers of a dusty old book somewhere. The coin sure doesn't look like steel, and not so corroded that all details are obscured. It does look very much like a corroded copper coin, but I won't comment on the date.
I'm not an expert and my advice is free

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Well the first thing that comes to mind taking anything else to these simpletons is "Run Forest Run!" They should have their fingers slapped for using a fridge magnet if they even used one. Yup they're the type of shop that needs a slap down, if the coin turns out to be a /43 graded just return and say "Gee you could of bought this one for $20 bucks the day I came in and you blew it off" :). Better yet if you sell it off and asked about how it came about when your handed the cheque, just say it was your luckiest day when the "said" coin shop blew you off and quote what they said, as they could of had it for a few bucks. Best of luck on getting an answer on what it is exactly.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No expert here, but comparing the photo to some online images of actual 1943 pennies, the '3' does not look right - at least not from the photo sumitted so far. It appears the top part of the '3' is made of two straight segments, which does not seem to be characteristic of authentic specimens. In addition the lower segment of the '3' should extend well below the other numbers. That also is not apparent in the submitted photo. Maybe a doctored 1945?

They also took 1948 ones and altered the date to a 3. But you should have it checked by a reputable coin dealer to be sure. Good luck!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first looked at that coin,, I saw 1947.
It has been altered and then ended up being dropped accidentally or on purpose. It may have been a novelty coin.
I have hundreds of 1943 steel pennies. I believe that the 3 in the date on the 1943 steel penny is exactly what the 3 on that coin should look like but is does not.
If you want closure on the validity of this coin, I suggest that you find a way to get it to PCGS.
Their word, verification, and grade is pretty much Gospel.
Good luck and congrats on your finds.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that my opinion matters or makes much difference, but there's two key things for me, that kill it. First off if the three doesn't match your pretty much done right there, and 2nd, the fact it's very corroded it's obvious, at least to me, that's the only reason there's any discussion here and all the optimism and positive wishing won't make that 3 match. You don't have to prove when you can disprove, so I don't see where this one can go... maybe to clean it and reveal a non 43 date. Obviously digging a copper 43 is not impossible, i just don't think this is the one.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I read through this thread and anytime there is so much uncertainty and the photos show a beat up coin its the same old deal in my mind ; the finder is hoping to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. A grading service at best would never give positive ID on that date at and much more likely conclude it is altered And any collector isn't going to be interested in a highly questionable coin that is extremely rare to begin with. I even read somebody mentioning banner....are you kidding? What you got there is a wheat penny made of copper and not dated 1943.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a 1943 back in 2007 ish? I took it the a very well known and respected coin dealer near Princeton NJ. All he said was yup it appears to be one? He couldn't positively identify it though? Cause he just said thanks for showing me! I felt that the only way to try to prove it better was to clean it! THAT WAS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE !
DON'T CLEAN THAT COIN!
Wiped it clean!
Learned the hard way!

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 1943 back in 2007 ish? I took it the a very well known and respected coin dealer near Princeton NJ. All he said was yup it appears to be one? He couldn't positively identify it though? Cause he just said thanks for showing me! I felt that the only way to try to prove it better was to clean it! THAT WAS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE !
DON'T CLEAN THAT COIN!
Wiped it clean!
Learned the hard way!

So if it cant be positively Id'd and you cant clean it to show the date then you don't have what you say you have.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So if it cant be positively Id'd and you cant clean it to show the date then you don't have what you say you have.

I think you need to show it to the correct people and get multiple opinions In Person . I became discouraged after the first guy looked at it . And I cleaned it ! :(

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soak that thing in some oil to clean it up. And as far as it not sticking to a magnet, ive found a steel cent before that was destroyed and it still stuck with no problem.

ive actually found a counterfeit wheat detecting too. It was a heartbreaker

good luck!!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All modern coins are made from dies, one for the Obverse side and one for the Reverse side. the FACT the "3" does not match any 1943 die shows to me it is in no way a 1943, I am no expert but I sure know how to ID coins by details. Wishful thinking, people who post and enhance the wishful thinking and corrosion are the only reason this post is still going. Even if it was a another number, which it is, and changed to a 3, which I don't think has happened, it would not be a counterfeit, it would be a considered a mutilated coin. I really did not want to chime in on this post, but I did. Don

Rhode Hog

Jun 22, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Lots of so called experts,so much for just congratulating the guy...so disappointing how negative ppl get when the snow shows up
Your comment about snow reminds me what i did as a kid on a snow day from school,go out shoveling driveways then take the money i made to the bank and get penny roles and look for 1943 or 1955 double struck pennys never found one.I hope this coin turns out to be real .

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Internet experts can be annoying in any thread. But I would much rather know the true probability of what my find could be than get my hopes up too much. That being said hold onto that hope and get it checked!! Would be so awesome :)

Last edited:

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Get someone to look at it to be sure if it's real or fake. Any mint marks on this penny? If it is 1943, load up the kids and move to Beverly Hills, lol......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread