zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a "57" Base Enfield Today

Hello everyone. I made a trip out with the Garrett ATPro this afternoon for a couple of hours. Went to a spot where I have dug a ton of CW 3 ringers. Well today i found a few nice bullets under a Big ole Oak tree. Dug my first 3 ringer and decided I better start a grid. Had a ton of can slaw mixed in with the good signals. Always drives you nuts. :help: Well I started really focusing on the higher lead type signal you get when you hear a bullet. Dug another 3 ringer then it happened. Nice bullet signal. Dug down and saw a flat sided bullet. First thought ENFIELD. So I stuck it in my pouch and kept kicking. The bugs run me off so I headed home. After getting home I cleaned the bullets up and to my surprise I cleaned the cavity of the bullets and the Enfield had "57" in the base. I happy danced> :laughing9: All in all it was a great short hunt. Hope you enjoy the pictures. :thumbsup: zaxfire69

Attachments

• 57.jpg
    57.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 781
  • 57 finds.jpg
    57 finds.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 774
Upvote 0
OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found a "57" Base Enfield Today

I usually find 5 or 6 bullets everytime I go out to hunt. I have many. I don't know how many I have. Never count them. Just put them in a bag and in the top of my closet they go. I would love to know if the bullets I find are confederate bullets. Most of the 3 ring bullets i find have seams and a deep conical cavity.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Is my Middle bullet a Confederate Pointed nose 3 ringer?

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008

I think whether they are CSA or USA is a lot muddier of a muddle than the 57 thing. From what I have been told, they both made them all the ways. The only one that I think is absolute (and nothing is absolute) is the Gardner. Love that one. And that factory was destroyed fairly early in the war, so they are not everywhere. Gardners were nose cast.

Crusader: I just read in T & T that the enfield was never used by USA. But I know that I read earlier that a couple of small groups from Ill. or some obscure place used them for a little while. You are right: I wish authors would get their stuff together before writing it for know-nothings like me to learn from.

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008

zaxfire 69: Let me send you some mailing bags. Throw the bullets in there and drop in any mailbox. Then repeat. Your closet has to be too full of this stuff. I can help.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

High Plains Digger thats a good one. I have been know to mail a 3 ringer or 2 to a friend that lives far away from the Civil war areas. Drop me a PM and i will see what I can do. I do have a good deal of Bullets. Usually my wife informs me that my bullets are junking up her built in cabinets. What that translates into is get these darn bullets off my shelves and put up. So I will wrap them in tissue and put them up in a ziploc bag. I have a couple gallon bags full. Now my good bullets and buttons I keep on a shelf out of site.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"57" for .577 Caliber....I love those Enfields....I've dug quite a few over the years and never get tired of digging them, congrats. :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread