**Found a buckle need some help** Buckle Boy where are you?

robberry

Feb 6, 2008
Central California, Now NW Florida!
Detector(s) used
EX2 with X-1 Sun Ray Probe
Went hunting yesterday and found a couple interesting items...a button, which has "Panam"or "Panama" "Mobile" on the front and on the back has a date "Dec. 9, 1924" . A lead piece which I believe is a cargo type seal for the L&N Railroad, due to the fact the land I hunted is next to a R.R. track and was a L&N RR depot/hotel. The other of course is a part of a two piece buckle. Wondering if anyone out there can give me a hand on some info on these...thanks for looking and HH...

Attachments

• 0215001547.jpg
    0215001547.jpg
    696.2 KB · Views: 1,146
  • 0215001548.jpg
    0215001548.jpg
    646.4 KB · Views: 1,172
  • 0215001549.jpg
    0215001549.jpg
    683 KB · Views: 1,142
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the buckle marked or stamped in any way? Is there a benchmark on it?

I am assuming that it is heavy cast brass--is this correct?

Tnet member Kuger is a real asset to this forum due to his knowledge of two piece buckles--especially western ones found in mining and military camps. You might want to drop him a line as well.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking two piece, love the patina on the piece. :icon_thumright:

LuckOfTheIrish

Jan 28, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Congratulations that is an amazing find!! As for the ID I hope you can handle the truth haha....

This is the wreath portion of what is known as a "concentric ring" or "ringed wreath" and tongue plate. This is considered a Confederate style wreath, often found with the generic CS tongue or even better yet the Lousiana State Seal tongue.. That is truly a great find and definitely means that you need to pound that site!!!! Congrats again! Hopefully you can find the second piece! A little history about this style of plate was that it was most likely made by jewlers in New Orleans and feature an applied motif on the tongue portion of the buckle.

I hope this all helps!

~LuckOfTheIrish

OP
OP
robberry

robberry

Feb 6, 2008
Central California, Now NW Florida!
Detector(s) used
EX2 with X-1 Sun Ray Probe
BuckleBoy I knew you would show...lol.....as for the buckle, no markings, zippo, nada, nothing front or back or on the side! Thats why I needed help.....thanks for the info Luck.......I am in NW Florida so maybe I'll find the other half!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LuckOfTheIrish said:
Congratulations that is an amazing find!! As for the ID I hope you can handle the truth haha....

This is the wreath portion of what is known as a "concentric ring" or "ringed wreath" and tongue plate. This is considered a Confederate style wreath, often found with the generic CS tongue or even better yet the Lousiana State Seal tongue.. That is truly a great find and definitely means that you need to pound that site!!!! Congrats again! Hopefully you can find the second piece! A little history about this style of plate was that it was most likely made by jewlers in New Orleans and feature an applied motif on the tongue portion of the buckle.

I hope this all helps!

~LuckOfTheIrish

Right on :thumbsup:I think you found buckle parts in Calif.,and I helped ya before?
Thanks Buckles

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robberry said:
Ya Kuger you did...found a tongue part to a shash buckle you helped me ID......thx for all the info folks...gonna hit that site again real soon...

Remember, those were NOT worn on a SASH.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
robberry said:
Ya Kuger you did...found a tongue part to a shash buckle you helped me ID......thx for all the info folks...gonna hit that site again real soon...

Remember, those were NOT worn on a SASH.

Nope. Not these! :icon_thumleft:

Thank you for the help, kuger.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Can I see the back of the Panama Mobile button? Could it be a patent date?

Attachments

• patent button.jpg
    patent button.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 564

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
The loop is a nice find. That type of loop could have been on several different 1830's to 50's style 2 piece buckles including milita, US, SNY, GM (Georgia Militia) there are probably more but that all I can think of right now

deagleye

Feb 26, 2008
South Alabama
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I live in Mobile, Al. and found what looked like a suspender tab that was labeled Mobile Panama. I was told that was a name of a company. I never could find any info on it. Nice finds, keep up the good work.

Regards
Dennis

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
deagleye said:
I live in Mobile, Al. and found what looked like a suspender tab that was labeled Mobile Panama. I was told that was a name of a company. I never could find any info on it. Nice finds, keep up the good work.

Regards
Dennis
A pic would be cool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread