jaypop06

Feb 19, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decided to go out for a quick hunt in of all places, my front yard. Now to set the scene for you, my front yard is the size of a postage stamp (sarcasm). But as I SLOWLY swung the coil of my fairly new Garrett Ace 350, I picked up what showed as a faint nickel signal. Dug down about 8 inches, broke out the pro pointer and kept getting a hit and miss signal. Couldn't find it right away. Of course it could have a lot to do with the fact that I was looking for a NICKEL or at least a NICKEL sized object. When I finally found the object, I noticed it was heart shaped. I at first thought, finally, my first jewelry find, but as I cleaned it, I noticed it had a design on it. Little did I know that it was a Buffalo Nickel that someone hard carved into a heart. I've never seen anything like this, and this is by far my best find to date. I'm counting it as my first buffalo nickel find and my first jewelry find lol.
photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg

I also found this little button, my fist button find as well. I'm not sure how old it is, but I thought it was pretty cool. If anyone has any idea to what around how old this button may be, please give your opinion. Also, the buffalo nickel is carved so much that the date has been removed, but I'm fine with that, lol. Here's a couple of pictures of the button...
photo 3.jpg photo 4.jpg

Upvote 18

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The heart is pretty darn neat. thanks for sharing!!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The button is relatively modern. :dontknow: That nickel however is old art ! :headbang: Maybe fetch a pretty penny for it like I'd say over $40 - $100 :thumbsup: Really interesting and unique find !! 8-)

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jaypop06

Feb 19, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The button is relatively modern. :dontknow: That nickel however is old art ! :headbang: Maybe fetch a pretty penny for it like I'd say over $100.00 :thumbsup: Really interesting and unique find !! 8-)

Thanks for the replies. I was pretty shocked to have found it. My best find to day by far...

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never saw anything like that before. Very cool find! Congrats! :thumbsup:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in agreement with Mud on both counts - The nickel /heart reminds me of a cross between "trench art" and a "hobo nickel" I can't
speak to the value , but it is somehow an intriguing find !!!

Shawks18

Apr 5, 2014
Fort Worth, TX
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find jay! How you like the 350? Yes...I'm a newb, lookin to upgrade from this bounty hunter and that's what I was looking at.

OP
OP
J

jaypop06

Feb 19, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find jay! How you like the 350? Yes...I'm a newb, lookin to upgrade from this bounty hunter and that's what I was looking at.

I'll be honest, I don't have much to compare it to as the only other detector I've had is a Harbor Freight model my wife and mother-in-law got me for my birthday last year. However, it takes a little getting used to. By that I mean, you have to get used to the sounds the machine makes. With each unique sound, the detector is trying to tell you what is sees and it's up to you to dig it or not. My advice is to dig every signal you get because if I had been picky, I would have went right over this buffalo nickel heart. It makes me wonder what all I've passed up to date. The Ace 350 is a good machine the more you get used to it. You will see a few on here fun the Ace series through the mud, but if you look, they have high dollar machines that aren't meant for someone (ME) who doesn't even know how to use the "cheaper" versions. I would recommend the Ace series to ANYONE starting out to see if they like the hobby or someone who wants to upgrade to a better model than what they currently have. I hope this helps you make your decision. If I can be of anymore help, please let me know. And as always, thanks for taking the time to check out my posts!!!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one awesome nickle!

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, I haven't found any buttons yet, but the "Buffalo Nickel Heart" is at least 76 yrs old. Thanks for sharing with everyone!

Shawks18

Apr 5, 2014
Fort Worth, TX
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be honest, I don't have much to compare it to as the only other detector I've had is a Harbor Freight model my wife and mother-in-law got me for my birthday last year. However, it takes a little getting used to. By that I mean, you have to get used to the sounds the machine makes. With each unique sound, the detector is trying to tell you what is sees and it's up to you to dig it or not. My advice is to dig every signal you get because if I had been picky, I would have went right over this buffalo nickel heart. It makes me wonder what all I've passed up to date. The Ace 350 is a good machine the more you get used to it. You will see a few on here fun the Ace series through the mud, but if you look, they have high dollar machines that aren't meant for someone (ME) who doesn't even know how to use the "cheaper" versions. I would recommend the Ace series to ANYONE starting out to see if they like the hobby or someone who wants to upgrade to a better model than what they currently have. I hope this helps you make your decision. If I can be of anymore help, please let me know. And as always, thanks for taking the time to check out my posts!!!

Thanks jay! I'll look into it more, but from all the research and reviews I've read I'm really leaning towards it! Seems like it'd be a nice beginners model to learn and use. If I have anymore questions or pick one up I'll let ya know. Thanks again and killer find!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in agreement with Mud on both counts - The nickel /heart reminds me of a cross between "trench art" and a "hobo nickel" I can't
speak to the value , but it is somehow an intriguing find !!!

I was thinking the same thing... :icon_scratch: The price of the Hobo nickles and stuff is how I based my price. :dontknow: In truth it could sell for anything... From the patina I do think its period or its been in the ground awhile... :notworthy: Really cool piece !! 8-)

gman7665

Mar 1, 2013
Campville New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is so Kewl , I too was just thinking it could be worth more than You think , was reading about Hobo and Hobo Art Coins ,some of the Artist have even been Identified and the items are considered Folk Art and are fetching some Cash on todays market... H.H. and Congrats , I still am looking for My first Buff/Indian ...:skullflag:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe it was a love token for a fat chick. Lol

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That heart beats a regular buff by a long shot. Someone spent a lot of time and attention carving that. To me, it has a much cooler story behind it than a regular buff.

Leco

Dec 9, 2009
Calera, Ok
Detector(s) used
Garrett CSI 250 (Because I thought it was a ACE 250)
That heart beats a regular buff by a long shot. Someone spent a lot of time and attention carving that. To me, it has a much cooler story behind it than a regular buff.

I couldn't agree more. These type of finds are my favorite. Something truly unique.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread