Found a Cache, kinda. (Pics Incl.)

Poot

Tenderfoot
May 19, 2010
Hey all, hoping you can take a look and maybe help me out here, I'm pretty new at this.

I was at my parents house this past weekend and went down in the basement to look for something. I ended up finding this collection of coins, and no one was sure how it got there, but the best assumption is that it got moved in with some of my Grandmother's belongings after she died, and that it possibly belonged to my Grandfather.

I know a lot of these are pretty common , but I'm hoping some of them might be kind of interesting. Nearly all of the coins are pre-1964, other than a couple of dollar and half dollars from the 1970s that seemed to have gotten lumped into the collection.

I have some experience with other relics, but I am unfamiliar with coins, though trying to learn now. Can anyone tell me where to start? Which of these seems the rarest? I know its hard to tell from the pics, I can post more detailed ones if anyone is interested.
Thanks for looking! (Sorry about picture sizing! I'm not too good with this forum stuff yet. Blame Imageshack!

img0174fg.jpg

img0175so.jpg

img0177bc.jpg

img0178wt.jpg

img0179km.jpg

img0180s.jpg

img0181ry.jpg

A group of 1963 Franklins in great condition

img0182z.jpg

A booklet of Mercury dimes, some missing.

img0183zt.jpg

Lots of old Roosevelt dimes, most of them I haven't checked. Some more quarters too.

There's a bit more, some newer European ones, some Canadian coins from the '40s, and lots of Pesos.

Thanks a lot for looking!

Silverminer

May 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
A starting point for silver melt values is coinflation.
http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html
This link also has some key dates for each type of coin. At the bottom of the page shows coins being auctioned on ebay such as Mercury dimes or Franklin halfs.

These coins may be worth more than the melt value so try a few coin dealers or coin shows in your area.

Coin values magazine might be a help in checking prices.
! :icon_thumleft:

VERDI-CHEMIST

May 20, 2010
OHIO
The Franklins are all mint state, looks to be a full roll. Be very careful handling them and don't let them bang against each other! If they are high-grade mint state coins with full bell lines, they can be fairly valuable.

The first thing you should do is get yourself a Red Book to give you an idea of what you have and approximate values.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERDI-CHEMIST said:
The Franklins are all mint state, looks to be a full roll. Be very careful handling them and don't let them bang against each other! If they are high-grade mint state coins with full bell lines, they can be fairly valuable.

The first thing you should do is get yourself a Red Book to give you an idea of what you have and approximate values.

The coins will only have numismatic value until silver reaches $20.00 an ounce. At that point the coin becomes more valuable as melt or "Junk Silver". I have a boat load of 61's, 62's and 63's sitting in my safe. I am going to hold onto them until that magical number appears. In order to get top dollar you have to have them graded, that is another $13.00 per coin by NGC to assign a grade. If they don't grade high enough you can be screwed.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FreedomUIC said:
VERDI-CHEMIST said:

The coins will only have numismatic value until silver reaches $20.00 an ounce. At that point the coin becomes more valuable as melt or "Junk Silver". I have a boat load of 61's, 62's and 63's sitting in my safe. I am going to hold onto them until that magical number appears. In order to get top dollar you have to have them graded, that is another $13.00 per coin by NGC to assign a grade. If they don't grade high enough you can be screwed.
I don't understand what you are saying. 1963 Franklin halves in MS-65 are valued at 50 dollars according to 2010 redbook. Why do you think they are worth more at $20 melt? Definitely worth more numismatically. A lot of people will pay $7.23 for a $50 coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread