Found a DOLLAR laying on top of the ground......Who else has done this??

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:4leafclover:Hope everyone has had a chance to get out this Easter weekend for a little detecting.....I had my chance yesterday and went to a grade school in SW Georgia and a short hunt at a middle school soccer field. Found $6.16 face value, all clad, 11 quarters, 21 dimes, 31 cents(including 1 wheat cent) and a folded $1 bill laying on top of the ground at the soccer field on my last stop. Always a surprise to find currency while metal detecting, but does happen for me almost every year at some point. Have you had a visual surface find of currency lately or even buried with some coins? :icon_scratch:.....and if so, please post a picture if you have it....Thanks.

003.JPG
click on picture to enlarge

HH
Bill

Last edited:
Upvote 10

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool, I have had that happen. I have found one dollar bills in sports fields and such. I heard on person found a silver dollar laying on the grass a couple years ago.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Twice.
One $5 recently on the sidelines of a soccer field and a few years ago a 10 spot at the entrance of a high school that had never been hunted before because there were a ton of coins there also.
I also found a $10 eyeball find on a grass island in a parking lot next to my truck because I look down all the time now.
I had just paid for lunch at a Chinese buffet and this took care of the meal, tea and tip.

Attachments

• P1050885.jpg
    P1050885.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 152
  • clad school.jpg
    clad school.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 155

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1989 my dad, brother, uncle, and myself were driving upstate during hunting season. My dad spots a bill on the side of the highway while in some traffic. Tells my uncle to pull over. It's a $100 bill followed by 3 more and then a paper bag. Picks it all up and tells my uncle go NOW. Inside the bag was $3500 in 100's and a ziplock filled with crack vials. He missed the last $100 bill. Next rest stop, ziplock down the sewer and a very happy/nervous weekend. Save the lecture, anyone would have done the same.

OP
OP
wlb42

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Twice.
One $5 recently on the sidelines of a soccer field and a few years ago a 10 spot at the entrance of a high school that had never been hunted before because there were a ton of coins there also.
I also found a $10 eyeball find on a grass island in a parking lot next to my truck because I look down all the time now.
I had just paid for lunch at a Chinese buffet and this took care of the meal, tea and tip.

Hey Digger......Nice....thanks for the pictures and your comment......I went back and changed my posting to encourage more people to post a picture if they have one.

HH
Bill

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found folding money from time to time, but I don't think I've found any while detecting.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with Jewelerguy on this one.... I have yet to spy currency whilst beeping, randomly on other occasions?, yes.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a dollar in a field, a dollar in the edge of the surf at the beach and a 10 dollar bill on the bottom in waist deep water at a freshwater beach.

frostdigger

Jan 1, 2013
Col. Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350, Garrett AT pro, Garrett AT gold, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 20 spot in a hedge row across from a grocery store once. My favorite one was a little coin spill that had little pieces of the paper money stuck between the coins, unfortunately not enough left to spend. image.jpg

Ranger121

Apr 7, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites Amphibian II
Bounty Hunter
On Maui, where I lived and MD'd for 10 years. I was swinging at the edge of golf course once, kid's park, and found a $100 bill on the golf side of some hedge between the park and it. Went up and down that hedge for an hour,,,,found 2 more. Some fat tourist couldn't catch his windblown beer money I guess. I think thats what I spent it on anyway. Funny, I kept going back there and checking for the longest time.............

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice catch on the folding money. I have found a lot of bills through the years and even have developed techniques to increase my take, as folding money is lost right along with coins and jewelry. Wal Marts, grocery stores, and gas stations are steady producers, look along the curbs, in adjacent shrubs, and against the chain link fences, especially after big wind events, and search the area the wind has carried all the trash and paper to. I carry a walking stick to stir trough the leaves and other trash buildups along the chain link fence. My best day was over $120, mostly from strip club parking lots around Atlanta on a Sunday morning. Any bars are good, as well as Waffle Houses, where the drunks head after a night's carousing.
The morning after New Years, and Saint Patrick's day have been the best for bars, and Saturday morning after Black Friday around Malls and other shopping lots seem to be the best producers. I used to run a route of my favorite producers every Sunday morning. Big cities will produce better than rural areas.
When I had somebody to accompany me, one would slowly drive the car along the edges of big parking lots while the other visually scanned, and we would split the take. You have to be out early to avoid normal traffic in the bigger parking lots, so you can cruise really slowly. If I was alone, I would carry a bicycle, park my vehicle and ride the bike along the parking lot edges, stopping to investigate any likely spots that have heavy buildups of wind blown trash. Driving a car and looking by yourself is more dangerous than you realize, and I had several close calls on accidents trying to do that, but using wheels will increase you finds over walking an area as it is mostly a visual effort, and you can cover more area.
If it was raining the night before then look in the parking lot itself, as the paper money will be stuck to the surface, and also tends to collect in puddles of water. Once I got 3 $20's out of a puddle, and coins and jewelry will be in the parking areas too. I have found several necklaces and 2 gold rings doing this, and the guy I used to team with found a nice diamond ring in a bar parking lot while out on his own doing this. I always scan the parking lot around bars, coins are common there.
I was never bothered by any real cops while out doing this, but they will be checking you out. Mall Security is a whole other issue, as they will be Johnny on the spot to see what you are doing. I would tell them that I was looking for an important paper that had blown out of my car window. Of course you can only use that story once, and those guys will remember you. So I would hunt around the big Malls just a few days a year, but always after Black Friday, make it quick and know which direction the wind was blowing the day and night before. Think like Confederate cavalry on a raid, get in, search fast, and then leave - pronto - before a response can be mounted to see what you are doing. Maybe 10 minutes max, 5 would be better.
Never, never, never, and I mean never tell anyone what you are doing, and I mean even your other digging buddies, or you will not be finding much of anything if word leaks out about what you are doing. I mean NEVER!! If you do use a buddy system to search, be sure it is someone you really can trust, as this is really a pretty lucrative activity, and they will soon be doing it themselves.
I've only told you because I don't think any of you will provide competition where I am now located, and I enjoy sharing my experience with people on this board. I have to warn you that when I go on vacation that this is the first TH'ing technique I employ, and what I find, or don't find tells me a lot about the TH'ers in that area. Whether they are real pros or just hobby hunters, and helps me to determine where to focus my digging activities for the few days I will be in town. So, I may be coming to an area near you, hahaha!
I developed a route, and would run it weekly on my way out to metal detect, and it was worth the effort as it paid all my gas and battery expenses plus more. Some days nothing, other days were great, just like digging. Using a bicycle, being there at daybreak, having a stick to stir through leaves and paper trash, and using a vehicle to get me and my bike to various locations before normal morning shopping traffic built up worked best. Cheers!!

Bluebutton

Tenderfoot
Sep 25, 2011
Sonora, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at a restaurant once and picked up what the wife would say looks like just trash, turned out to be a tightly balled up $100.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a floating $ 20.00 bill once while on a water hunt. And have also found bills on the ground.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428274581.314082.jpg

I found this all folded up with the 10 on the outside in the curb median close to some softball fields. I thought I had found quite a bit, lol. Once I spotted it, I picked it up, acting nonchalantly, and stuck it in my finds pouch without examining it because I was sure someone would yell " Hey, I just lost that! " lol.

I think I found a dollar once more besides the $19.

Ed (Upstate NY)

Aug 19, 2007
New York's Capital Region
Detector(s) used
New for 2023 Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus. Minelab Explorers SE Pro & XS, Whites 6000 Di Pro, DFX & Beach Hunter, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found a couple singles last year. Best finds were $50.00 ( 2-20's and a 10) in a store parking lot and $80.00 ( 4 folded 20's) on the side of the street while walking the dog.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The same day, almost the same 10 minutes... I found my first silver, I found a dollar on top of the ground 3 feet away. 8-)

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped at a bar, went in and had a seat on a stool. Was there for an hour or more and looked down. Under the stool next to me was 180$ in 20;s I picked it up and asked if anyone had lost any money and to tell me how much. No one claimed it. Cha Ching! I tipped the bar with it and left.

Cheers

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swear to God, I found a dollar bill lying on the ground at one of the places I hunted today. Your post made me realize that it was still in the front pocket of my digging jeans, and probably would have been washed! That and a almost completely smooth Shield nickel with a hole in it were about the only finds for a long day of digging. Carl

BlueVW

Jan 17, 2015
Cabot, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
White Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today, I found a $1 bill on the grassy area beside the parking lot of a park. Also dug up a penny.
It is always exciting finding a dollar.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread