DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
went back to the new permission for the better part of the day.Wasn't finding much for the first half of the hunt.Found a spot I started getting into a few flat buttons,one turned out to have a decent back mark.Later on towards the end of the hunt I walked over a early 1900's coin spill that contained 4 buffaloes 1 wheat,and the find that made my day was the 1917 standing liberty quarter.Not sure about the dates on the nickles yet,they are in pretty rough shape,but the wheat is 1918.Is the quarter the right breast exposed variety?i cant tell. 024.JPG 048.JPG 027.JPG 039.JPG 045.JPG

Upvote 15

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice standing Liberty! I would bet based on the condition of that quarter that it was lost within the first few years of leaving the mint - which would mean all the buffaloes likely date to the late teens also - the early 1920's at latest. Just my opinion.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Schweet finds dude

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice standing Liberty! I would bet based on the condition of that quarter that it was lost within the first few years of leaving the mint - which would mean all the buffaloes likely date to the late teens also - the early 1920's at latest. Just my opinion.
Thanks.They might be in the teens,i haven't sat down to scrub them yet,as you can see they are pretty rough .Whats the best way to clean nickles?

Last edited:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice breast on that one:laughing7:...I mean nice type 1 SLQ. great shape too!

BTW yes Type 1. Note too the lack of the three stars under the eagle on the reverse....oh yeah, the naked breast too.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Schweet finds dude
thanks,i am almost embarrassed to admit it,but that is the first one I have found in about 21 years of hunting.They are a nice looking quarter.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just looked up that history and found this: "Numismatist Ray Young, in his 1979 article in Coins magazine about the quarter, suggested that the redesign "came from the symbolism. If Liberty was going to stand up to her foes, she should do so fully-protected—not 'naked to her enemies.' Thus the war probably had much more to do with the change than any alleged 'public indignation."

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt DI2..
Early SLQ.
always nice when u can get a date. .
George

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice breast on that one:laughing7:...I mean nice type 1 SLQ. great shape too!

BTW yes Type 1. Note too the lack of the three stars under the eagle on the reverse....oh yeah, the naked breast too.
Awesome v.n!Thank you.I just now looked back in this old coin book I have and saw the stars under type 2.I was wondering why the right titty looked the same on both types :laughing7:

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt DI2..
Early SLQ.
always nice when u can get a date. .
George
Thanks Vino.It was a first for me man.I have to admit she is in pretty good shape.I wish that spill would have been 4 SLQ's and one buffalo :)

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet hunt!!

Must be nice to find a SLQ and to get a date off it. I found one today my second for the year and neither one has a date.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't recall seeing a buff spill. That's awesome. WTG on the SLQ!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds!, I love slqs, especially when they have dates!, I thinkyou have the exposed breast type heres a comparison: type-1-vs-type-2-obverse-standing-liberty-quarter.jpg

Awesome hunt!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great spill bud. My buddy swears that an sos pad is about the only way to clean up a buff. I've never friend it and obviously wouldn't do that to a potentially valuable coin. But I'd give it a shot with one of those

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't recall seeing a buff spill. That's awesome. WTG on the SLQ!
thanks Old Dude.that was the first spill of that type I have found.Most of the 1900's spills I have come across in the past where usually mostly wheat's with a mercury dime or a few in the mix.All the buffalo's i have found in the past have always been isolated.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds!, I love slqs, especially when they have dates!, I thinkyou have the exposed breast type heres a comparison: View attachment 1134624

Awesome hunt!
I need to get a new coin book.This book i have is way out of date, 2007.I don't know why it doesn't show the chain mail for type 2,It does show the stars under the eagle for type 2.i didn't even notice that until villagenut pointed it out to me

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great spill bud. My buddy swears that an sos pad is about the only way to clean up a buff. I've never friend it and obviously wouldn't do that to a potentially valuable coin. But I'd give it a shot with one of those
thanks I will try it out.i have tryed different solutions in the past,but all the nickles seem to want to turn color on me.Sos pad sounds like a rough way to go,but hey, if it works.I need to get some

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread