Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was looking for new places to detect along the water today when I came upon a large formation of fossils that were eroding out the side of a bluff. Pretty common I imagine in some parts of the country and even in some parts of Maryland but first time Ive seen this this close to home. How old would these be? Thousands or millions of years

Attachments

• D543B41E-45FD-4272-9F1F-91BFDA897468.jpeg
    D543B41E-45FD-4272-9F1F-91BFDA897468.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 94
Upvote 13

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're working along the Chesapeake south of Annapolis, all of that is primarily Miocene, the time of the Megalodon shark. Lots of fossils from Chesapeake Beach south all the way into Virginia. When you get to western MD, that is primarily Devonian and some of the coal bearing areas are Pennsylvanian and Mississippian - from memory, so check out the Miocene on the net. Fascinating period of time.

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're working along the Chesapeake south of Annapolis, all of that is primarily Miocene, the time of the Megalodon shark. Lots of fossils from Chesapeake Beach south all the way into Virginia. When you get to western MD, that is primarily Devonian and some of the coal bearing areas are Pennsylvanian and Mississippian - from memory, so check out the Miocene on the net. Fascinating period of time.
Im on the upper eastern shore

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upper eastern shore is probably Cretaceous period, same as the C & D canal fossils. 65-85 million years ago. Or so they say. I'm not convinced the dating is right. I have lived in my house over 40 years. The creek bed then was a soft mud. It is now so hard you might as well call it rock - you need a hammer to break it. 40 years, go figure. You can get a geologic map on MD on line and check the spot. Most of the eastern shore deposits are a lot "newer" than the western shore, which can go back to Cambrian times.

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upper eastern shore is probably Cretaceous period, same as the C & D canal fossils. 65-85 million years ago. Or so they say. I'm not convinced the dating is right. I have lived in my house over 40 years. The creek bed then was a soft mud. It is now so hard you might as well call it rock - you need a hammer to break it. 40 years, go figure. You can get a geologic map on MD on line and check the spot. Most of the eastern shore deposits are a lot "newer" than the western shore, which can go back to Cambrian times.

Only thing I know for certain is that that type of mollusk certainly no longer exists around here anymore

Last edited:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice fossil finds! :icon_thumright:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look like the ancestors of modern cockle shells and perhaps Atlantic slipper shells. Some of the shells look so close to living counterparts I'm not sure why they classify them as something different. I have found Atlantic slipper shells in MD and DE and cockle shells in SC and FL.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are the fossil impressions of brachiopods, rather than fossils of the actual shells. They differ from bivalve molluscs in that the shell is hinged at the rear end, so they open top/bottom fashion rather than hinged at one side to open left/right.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread