Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was in New Orleans I had to go handle something and of course my truck brings me to The Old Spanish Fort. Now the reason why I’m not afraid to tell people where I go it’s because I don’t think they have what it takes to get the fines I’m getting at this point in the history. It’s already been ran over by the archaeologist at LSU then there’s the white shelves then below the white shelves maybe at 5 inches you start hitting on the red brick because it was also hey amusement park at one time this structure has dirt from the 17th 18th 19th and 20 century also add in the cold which I didn’t even know what it was it’s a black rock that must have iron in it or something but it picks it up so between the brick the white shells but oysters the pool tabs the aluminum and all that from the 20th century you got a put in work.

I only had one hour to dig but me and my machine we’re on the same train and I’m a go back and hit it tomorrow. I found this two-piece button that the 800 smack at a 14 I have no idea what it is if anybody knows please help me IMG_0621.jpg
IMG_0622.jpg
Then I got the good old War Nickel IMG_0623.jpg
Then I picked up a vehicle in terrible shape I could just see a star on the left-hand side so I know it’s a V-Nickel IMG_0625.jpg
IMG_0624.jpg
And let’s not leave out our lead you know we love them IMG_0626.jpg
Again anybody know how I can find out about this button please let me know because it’s very rare I get buttons out of there although I did get 2 script “I” buttons From there but who’s counting LOL IMG_0619.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 16

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done with the Silver Wartime and the V Nickel! :occasion14:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The button is modern blazer button.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That shank wasn't invented until the late 1870's or so and they still make them. I have had a couple blazers myself with that and similar buttons. Due to the corrosion I'd say its probably 50 years old or so. Newer if it were near salt water. I've also seen probably 100,000 or more buttons in my time...it took awhile!

You can go to a place like Joanne Fabrics and buy a card of similar ones.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ROFL, queen, huh...anyway, I have been to probably 100 antique, militaria and Civil War shows, have dug probably 1,000 buttons through time, I never counted but I still have my first colonial buttons here. It all adds up. And I have a memory like steel trap, on alternate Thursdays:laughing7:

Treasure Hunting NM

Sep 10, 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amusement Park? It's been years since I have been to New Orleans. I grew up out there. Would that amusement park be Pontchartrain Beach? I used to go there as a kid. I'd like to get out that way myself. I always wanted to metal detect at Lakefront Park if that is still there too. Also City Park. Didn't pick up the hobby until about a year and a half ago. I ave some childhood friends that keep inviting out that way. Maybe a road trip in the future :)

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course I’m coming back with my tail between my legs how would I ever doubted the queen of detecting. Please forgive me my Queen

HI Truth , Well the Smokey does hang out with old hens .:laughing9:

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amusement Park? It's been years since I have been to New Orleans. I grew up out there. Would that amusement park be Pontchartrain Beach? I used to go there as a kid. I'd like to get out that way myself. I always wanted to metal detect at Lakefront Park if that is still there too. Also City Park. Didn't pick up the hobby until about a year and a half ago. I ave some childhood friends that keep inviting out that way. Maybe a road trip in the future :)

Brother you gotta come back to your roots. No I’m not talking about Pontchartrain beach I’m talking about where the old Spanish Fort was and then after that was an amusement park probably in the 1920s and then they move did the Pontchartrain beach the one that we went to when we were little and yes I’m addicted to Pontchartrain beach. Original metal sign IMG_0412.jpg
IMG_0413.jpg
IMG_0415.jpg
IMG_0416.jpg
IMG_0417.jpg
You don’t get no more New Orleans than me IMG_0559.jpg
IMG_0555.jpg
59842171386__9AA98312-3EC2-4FE8-B306-D62A825E5D41.jpg
I found the sweet spot that nobody would even know something was there and I pulled like 28 three ringers the problem was it was sort of in view of the museum and the guy who worked there said we change the rules no more metal detecting unless you had a archaeologists license I told a guy I’ve been metal detecting here for 10 years. He said I hope you had a good run. Yeah that pissed me off IMG_0266.jpg
Every one of them was dropped and beautiful and I notice more out there. The problem was they were like 9 inches to 12 inches down and with the dry clay it breaks up into a bunch a little pieces so you can’t make it look neat after and that’s what got me. It pains me to think I’m the one that they change the rule for it pains me to think I’m the one that they change because of me. I am happy to hear that other people have been metal detecting there and they haven’t had any problems as long as they don’t have a white Dodge pick up truck with a rebel flag in the back LOL I think you’re fine

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ROFL, queen, huh...anyway, I have been to probably 100 antique, militaria and Civil War shows, have dug probably 1,000 buttons through time, I never counted but I still have my first colonial buttons here. It all adds up. And I have a memory like steel trap, on alternate Thursdays:laughing7:

Hey I’ll be the first want to say you’re the queen of the streets do you know your ****

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Smoky I was never one to find buttons I have to admit that I’ve probably found a handful but I am very lucky I found two French script “I” nfantry pewter buttons and the button that everybody around here wants the Louisiana hotel like in button very rare to find them in Louisiana since they sent them all to Virginia so I was very lucky to find one local oh And my French horn. I’m very lucky the harder I work the luckier I get IMG_0527.jpg
IMG_2884.jpg
IMG_0185.jpg
IMG_0186.jpg
IMG_0187.jpg
IMG_0188.jpg

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I [emoji3590] you Smoky

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth, those pewter cast foliated "I" buttons are American from the War of 1812. Better than French buttons any day. They look like Albert's GI36.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth, those pewter cast foliated "I" buttons are American from the War of 1812. Better than French buttons any day. They look like Albert's GI36.

Do I need to buy a Alberts book smokey or can I find it online? Oh now you got me excited I just automatically thought French since they were the first ones there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread