Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow sweet, been a while since I have found something that old.

Got the bug kinda late about 7pm, already starting to get dark by nine.
There is this one very historic district about 10 miles from me that used to house a huge civil war facility. Don't think it lasted even to the 20th century, it was demolished long ago and a couple small buildings that were part of that complex remain as a city historical museum.
In front of those buildings is a large sunbaked field that has been empty for as long as I can remember ,,,, I have always wanted to hit this field but shied away because of the proximity to the museum.

There is a little river running behind it, my intention was to detect the banks, this had to be a very active area back in the day. In fact, I know it was, and the area by the river has never been developed at all. But there was a wall of plants and trees, and I really didn't feel like crashing through and risking poison ivy and stirring up clouds of mosquitoes, so I decided to finally hit that field.
Big mistake, I was getting some decent signals but the ground is absolutely rock hard, I couldn't dig in the earth .5" and I have a Lesche Samson. In addition to being sun baked, what little holes I managed to dig indeed had rocks and debris more than dirt, I get the feeling the whole area has a layer of fill over it, possibly from the buildings that once stood there.
Did find what looks to be an ornamental drawer knob, it was literally on the surface ,,, I'll post a pic of that if its anything special.

I couldn't take hacking into the ground like that so I drove around, I often drive around there hoping to find a tearout or construction. Whole area is a historic district and its hard to find any public property with potential ... So I drove past an old church, I used to take my son to boy scouts there. There is a grass lot next to the church, separated by a drivepath that leads to the main parking lot in the back.
Really an unkempt lot for this area, surprised they haven't developed it with something. The only thing they use it for is $5 parking for fireworks and carnivals at a nearby large park, so it looked like fair game to me, not a place not many would mind someone digging around.

Ground was pretty nice, was trampled from the vehicle traffic but right under was nice soft, super black soil. Anyways I tooled around digging here and there, I passed up some good signals because there is a quaint little house right next store separated by bushes but there was a window I could see a TV was on, didn't want to be intrusive and linger in that area.
So I detected my way back towards my truck was getting dark when I hit this thing. Dug a plug probably about 4" and this was in the middle, so not deep at all.

First thought was a Kennedy half, about that size. But too thin, and in the fading light I could tell it was not a Kennedy. 2 cent piece maybe, or a token ? Not sure but tokens this large are probably uncommon, I thought I had snagged a 2 center.
Could have wiped it off and looked at my magnifier in the truck but decided to let it wait, so I stuffed it in my pocket and went home. Made a couple stops so it was a good half hour, I was about bursting when I got home. Dog was moaning to go out but I said, not now boy.
Ripped down to the basement to the sink, I toothbrushed it off with warm water and could tell it was not a coin but some kind of token. Alot of writing on this thing, I thought crap, probably something religious from the 1970's.

Was pleasantly surprised when I found it was a pre 1915 dated token, says on 1 side:

This coin is worth $1.00 on your next suit or overcoat.
Limited to 1 coin to a garment.
Not good after June 1st 1915
JC Hasse and Sons

On the other side is more info on this store including its location in downtown Detroit.

Pretty cool, needless to say I will try my luck at this spot again.

edit: found this
http://tokencatalog.com/token_recor...758&inventory_id=254329&attribution_id=297431

Attachments

• IMG_2248.JPG
    IMG_2248.JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_2247.JPG
    IMG_2247.JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Upvote 24
OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last time I found an old token it was even better, it was an IHP style token with the classic indian head on front and dated 1962 ,,, Wasn't until a couple hours later than I found out it was really a token and I was elated.

Revrob

Jan 24, 2016
Cherry Valley
Detector(s) used
At pro, Nokta FoRs CoRe, equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice token, I think tokens with writing may be one of my favorite things, I've only found one ever. Congrats to u on a nice find.

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went back today after work and wasn't disappointed.
Actually, at first I was. Went in 100% certain I would find old silver, should not have done that but couldn't help it. I felt my confidence would bring a reward.
Got there around 7pm and there were a few people at the church so I now have a viable plan B in the area and I went there [Found a toasted coin there that is unidentifiable, only thing I am certain of is it is not a modern Lincoln].

Anyhow went back to the lot after 8, there people were gone and I swung with a vengeance [Ace 400].
Among a few clad coins and a boy scouts badge I found there, in the near dark I thought both were wheaties. Put my headlight on in my quest for silver, actually had alot of good signals that I passed on for now because I used the iron audio feature, when it sounds along with a good signal that usually means trash, but obviously i could mean a nail by a coin too.

I was stymied on silver and bummed out, but when I got home and cleaned my finds was very pleased to find that I had found an 1891 IHP and a 1934 wheatie, so next time I go back and I going to literally dig everything that has a chance at being a coin.

Toasted coin from other field I stuck in a potato in desperation [tater treatment], sometimes it does wonders, sometimes not. I'll post back if I ID it.

Attachments

• IMG_2250.JPG
    IMG_2250.JPG
    475 KB · Views: 34

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread