Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow sweet, been a while since I have found something that old.

Got the bug kinda late about 7pm, already starting to get dark by nine.
There is this one very historic district about 10 miles from me that used to house a huge civil war facility. Don't think it lasted even to the 20th century, it was demolished long ago and a couple small buildings that were part of that complex remain as a city historical museum.
In front of those buildings is a large sunbaked field that has been empty for as long as I can remember ,,,, I have always wanted to hit this field but shied away because of the proximity to the museum.

There is a little river running behind it, my intention was to detect the banks, this had to be a very active area back in the day. In fact, I know it was, and the area by the river has never been developed at all. But there was a wall of plants and trees, and I really didn't feel like crashing through and risking poison ivy and stirring up clouds of mosquitoes, so I decided to finally hit that field.
Big mistake, I was getting some decent signals but the ground is absolutely rock hard, I couldn't dig in the earth .5" and I have a Lesche Samson. In addition to being sun baked, what little holes I managed to dig indeed had rocks and debris more than dirt, I get the feeling the whole area has a layer of fill over it, possibly from the buildings that once stood there.
Did find what looks to be an ornamental drawer knob, it was literally on the surface ,,, I'll post a pic of that if its anything special.

I couldn't take hacking into the ground like that so I drove around, I often drive around there hoping to find a tearout or construction. Whole area is a historic district and its hard to find any public property with potential ... So I drove past an old church, I used to take my son to boy scouts there. There is a grass lot next to the church, separated by a drivepath that leads to the main parking lot in the back.
Really an unkempt lot for this area, surprised they haven't developed it with something. The only thing they use it for is $5 parking for fireworks and carnivals at a nearby large park, so it looked like fair game to me, not a place not many would mind someone digging around.

Ground was pretty nice, was trampled from the vehicle traffic but right under was nice soft, super black soil. Anyways I tooled around digging here and there, I passed up some good signals because there is a quaint little house right next store separated by bushes but there was a window I could see a TV was on, didn't want to be intrusive and linger in that area.
So I detected my way back towards my truck was getting dark when I hit this thing. Dug a plug probably about 4" and this was in the middle, so not deep at all.

First thought was a Kennedy half, about that size. But too thin, and in the fading light I could tell it was not a Kennedy. 2 cent piece maybe, or a token ? Not sure but tokens this large are probably uncommon, I thought I had snagged a 2 center.
Could have wiped it off and looked at my magnifier in the truck but decided to let it wait, so I stuffed it in my pocket and went home. Made a couple stops so it was a good half hour, I was about bursting when I got home. Dog was moaning to go out but I said, not now boy.
Ripped down to the basement to the sink, I toothbrushed it off with warm water and could tell it was not a coin but some kind of token. Alot of writing on this thing, I thought crap, probably something religious from the 1970's.

Was pleasantly surprised when I found it was a pre 1915 dated token, says on 1 side:

This coin is worth $1.00 on your next suit or overcoat.
Limited to 1 coin to a garment.
Not good after June 1st 1915
JC Hasse and Sons

On the other side is more info on this store including its location in downtown Detroit.

Pretty cool, needless to say I will try my luck at this spot again.

edit: found this
http://tokencatalog.com/token_recor...758&inventory_id=254329&attribution_id=297431

Attachments

• IMG_2248.JPG
    IMG_2248.JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_2247.JPG
    IMG_2247.JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Upvote 24

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Token! Having the business name and date is very cool.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is really neat!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet old token coin there mate. The history of that coin is pretty cool. Love the patina on it also. Nice story about the hunt too. Well done. Glad you found OLD!:headbang:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Huge bonus with location and date, I reckon most of them had this info as it was pertinent to advertising their business.
Just think, WW1 was just kicking off and it would be decades before anyone heard anything about an Adolf Hitler or Pearl Harbor. Most of them 1,000,00's of men who were to fight and die in WW2 had yet to be born.
Civil war vets were getting long in the tooth, as todays WW2 vets are, but still plenty of them around when this token was dropped.
The major multi state road just 1 block away was still the main drag back then, but just a 2 lane dirt strip.

I find a majority of my stuff at the beach but I must say, I get a bigger kick from historic stuff like this than gold/silver rings. With them it is pure monetary value, with something like this, history and sentiments.
I feel I have actually made a connection with the unknown person who dropped this so long ago, and there is sat year after year, decade after decade, with countless people walking over it and cars rolling over it, until I randomly came along and unearthed it.
This could turn into quite the sweet spot, hopefully I won't get messed with there. It is a tacky grass parking lot in an upscale, historic neighborhood, tough to see anyone getting upset but you never know. I'll play it safe and only detect there later in the evening. Lot is decent sized [smaller house probably once stood there], but small enough that I should be able to cover it in a few good sessions.

Since this was so shallow and such a ringer, safe to assume that:

* Has not been detected before and
* I should dig everything

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Priceless and its yours!!!!!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huge bonus with location and date, I reckon most of them had this info as it was pertinent to advertising their business.
Just think, WW1 was just kicking off and it would be decades before anyone heard anything about an Adolf Hitler or Pearl Harbor. Most of them 1,000,00's of men who were to fight and die in WW2 had yet to be born.
Civil war vets were getting long in the tooth, as todays WW2 vets are, but still plenty of them around when this token was dropped.
The major multi state road just 1 block away was still the main drag back then, but just a 2 lane dirt strip.

I find a majority of my stuff at the beach but I must say, I get a bigger kick from historic stuff like this than gold/silver rings. With them it is pure monetary value, with something like this, history and sentiments.
I feel I have actually made a connection with the unknown person who dropped this so long ago, and there is sat year after year, decade after decade, with countless people walking over it and cars rolling over it, until I randomly came along and unearthed it.
This could turn into quite the sweet spot, hopefully I won't get messed with there. It is a tacky grass parking lot in an upscale, historic neighborhood, tough to see anyone getting upset but you never know. I'll play it safe and only detect there later in the evening. Lot is decent sized [smaller house probably once stood there], but small enough that I should be able to cover it in a few good sessions.

Since this was so shallow and such a ringer, safe to assume that:

* Has not been detected before and
* I should dig everything

For me personally it's the age of the item I am recovering that matters most. I love OLD stuff. I concur with your sentiments on becoming "attached" to the old item you recovered and pondering who lost it. My mind fantasizes about many things when recovering really old stuff. It's a great feeling. Hit it at dusk and I hope there's more surprises awaiting you my friend. Do keep your observation skills enabled for any nosey busybodies lurking in the vicinity. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me personally it's the age of the item I am recovering that matters most. I love OLD stuff. I concur with your sentiments on becoming "attached" to the old item you recovered and pondering who lost it. My mind fantasizes about many things when recovering really old stuff. It's a great feeling. Hit it at dusk and I hope there's more surprises awaiting you my friend. Do keep your observation skills enabled for any nosey busybodies lurking in the vicinity. :icon_thumright:

I am a champ with situational awareness ... In this area, if anyone thumps me on the head it will be a little old lady with a cane, and I can take that.
I just hope no other detector guys see me there and jump my claim. There is no way a large token only 2" deep would have been there long if this lot was detected before, I'm convinced I am dealing with virgin ground in a historic section of town undisturbed for a century +

BTW, no fences or barriers here at all, no signs, not even sure if the church owns it but pretty sure they do, I have seen them running it as a parking lot for events very recently.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your sweet token. A great piece of history from the beginning of the glory days for Detroit.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder how much that suit cost before the dollar discount? Nice lil find.

You did let the dog out?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Some history:
Julius C. Hasse was born in Westphalia,Germany July 25, 1845. He came to America in 1858, eventually living in Detroit as of 1876. He entered the clothing business as a member of the firm Hasse & Dings, 1881; the firm becoming J.C. Hasse &Son in 1893.
Until December 1, 1914 his shop was located at Grand River Ave and Griswold; thereafer at the address referenced on your token (109 Woodward Ave.).
Don.......

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder how much that suit cost before the dollar discount? Nice lil find.

You did let the dog out?

Men's ready-to-wear suits cost about $15 - $20 in 1915.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A nice rare token for sure.
Nice job

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the comments I'm still excited about finding it, couldn't go back today worked 12 hrs.
Am often impressed what nice shape most of this old metal comes out of the ground - Can you imagine the crumpled crud guys will be finding 100 years from now with coins lost today ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread