Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you clean it up or did it come out of the ground looking like that? If it came out of the ground looking that good, it's probably gold.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
charr45

charr45

Jun 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was dark grey when I pulled it out rubbed it with my fingers and seen a it was shiny under the gray layer. I did was it with water soap and toothbrush.

Upvote 0

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don"t know, but you might have you something there?I am interested to see what the experts have to say!

Upvote 0

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is pretty cool! I'm sure you can find someone to test it without damaging it. Keep us updated as you learn more.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
charr45

charr45

Jun 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was using a Garrett 350. It was jumping from pull tab and up but mainly staying high.

Upvote 0

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm still thinking Native American. Interested to see what others think. It could be a one of a kind find!

edit: Looks like a deer on one side and fish on the other?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
charr45

charr45

Jun 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I posted it there to... If its still a mystery I'll put it with a Vinland map. Lol

Upvote 0

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It appears to be the norse wolf facing right on the coin. (look up ancient norse gold coins images, and you'll see something similar) I'm not sure about the verso (dolphins?), as I've just begun looking. congratulations if it is genuine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
charr45

charr45

Jun 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy joked around today that its viking. I thought Indian. He thought they had a mold and hit it with a hammer cause the fish side is flat and the horse wolf side isn't. I have no idea. Cool find.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy joked around today that its viking. I thought Indian. He thought they had a mold and hit it with a hammer cause the fish side is flat and the horse wolf side isn't. I have no idea. Cool find.
It's more like a type of ancient gold stater, similar to the wolf type stater that are found over here, and it does look like gold...but that's about all I could tell you. Very interesting find, one I will watch with interest.:thumbsup:

SS

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's more like a type of ancient gold stater, similar to the wolf type stater that are found over here, and it does look like gold...but that's about all I could tell you. Very interesting find, one I will watch with interest.:thumbsup:

SS

I gather Staters are cast? What will be remarkable if this coin is Ancient gold is the size. Being about halfpenny size (?) and thick, I could see it being 25, maybe 30 grams.

Upvote 0

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It appears to be an ancient trade token that could be turned in for either 2 seals or a horse!

That is cool, hope it's gold and old!

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gather Staters are cast? What will be remarkable if this coin is Ancient gold is the size. Being about halfpenny size (?) and thick, I could see it being 25, maybe 30 grams.
No mate they are struck, the planchet or flan is cast and allowed to cool, then struck which is why a lot have the splits in the flan. Looking at this one now you mention it, I agree it does look cast.

SS

Upvote 0

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
can you measure the diameter and thickness in mm's and give us a weight on it. You should take it to a jeweler or pawn shop and have it tested. Even if it is brass or bronze it could still be an authentic......something.

Upvote 0

coachbedford

Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like something that would come out of the ground in Europe (like a roman denarii or celtic stater) but then I take it that it was dug in America? Seems too thick and lumpy for anything that circulated here even in colonial times. I have never seen a unique native american struck coin....but this piece DOES give me the feeling of, say, an ancient roman coin of britain that was altered by the ancient celts or saxons (who were known to do such things). Very very odd but very uniquei

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread