ForumRunner_20140823_122955.png

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find for an ancient coin in really good condition.
Did you have the metal tested ?
I have found some old copper that seams to corrode bad while in the ground a long time.
I found a Bronze coin that hardly corroded at all with 1 rub it shined right up.

Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to agree that it appears to be cast.perhaps a fantasy coin depicting the style of b.c.celtic design.similar types are sold at viking faires.I'm no expert but I am also unable to find a known example of real coin to match.an acis test kit would be a wise and cheap investment.
good luck,let us know

edit...I didnt notice the age of original post.the fact that op never returned to discuss metalurgy or verification tells me all I need to know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

57chevy

Oct 4, 2014
The West
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 D Looking to find enough to replace it.
Replaced it with a Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before the US mints got establish and were producing in quantity, there was a lot of private minting. And people were using any coin that had value. I agree it should be looked at by an expert.

Upvote 0

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI. Thing here is the lack of info provided about this piece. Questions to be answered usually by the finder are.: Where was it found?? America or Europe ?? What is it's weight ?? Have you had the metal content tested ?? What are it's dimensions ?? Have you brought it to a coin or Auctioneer Expert ?? If not, why ??
Thing here is that there is only so much anyone can tell given just a picture and little to non info. on it. Maybe if the Finder will provide these answers then there would be some much more definitive answers. Right now all we can do is look at it and say MAYBE It's ----.
Please provide these type answers ok. Thanks. PEACE:RONB :dontknow: ???

Upvote 0
OP
OP
charr45

charr45

Jun 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tested it for gold... Negative. That's all I've done besides keep it in a box with other stuff I've found from that field. I'm in Pa a 2 stop light town lol experts are kinda hard to find. If u know of any in south central pa would be appreciated

Upvote 0

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; If it is not gold then it is brass. That means it is just a curio piece and of no value ok. Still cool though. I don't think there were any ancient coins ever lost in central PA ok. Happy Hunting. PEACE:RONB

Upvote 0

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; If it is not gold then it is brass. That means it is just a curio piece and of no value ok. Still cool though. I don't think there were any ancient coins ever lost in central PA ok. Happy Hunting. PEACE:RONB

A coin can be brass and still have value. And there are probably ancient coins lost in central PA, although they may have been lost in far more recent times.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions