Found a nice Uniface paleo knife today

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was moving my screen off a property today and dressing out the dig site. What the heck, why not run a little dirt? Lots of rough pet wood but great colors.

I made a little deep cut looking for paleo but not much t there. I did find the uniface and what may be a little worn out Scotty.

Edit.... stand by for pics.

Upvote 0

kentucky Quinn

Jul 27, 2013
Eastern KY
It's not hard to identify sites. Find a waterway. Find fairly level ground above flood plane but closest to water. Boom, you found a site. Now was it used for thousands of years by 20 different cultures? Only digging and screening can answer that. The site in this ,case pretty poor.

I?ve got several spots such as these you mention. I?m 400 acres and waterways are 3/4th of my property borders. Literally surrounded by creeks as well as several that cut through the property. Very diverse landscape but do have the flat bottoms in places above the creeks banks. Going to have to expand my operation into digging some test holes down on said bottoms Thanks for advice as always

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
I?ve got several spots such as these you mention. I?m 400 acres and waterways are 3/4th of my property borders. Literally surrounded by creeks as well as several that cut through the property. Very diverse landscape but do have the flat bottoms in places above the creeks banks. Going to have to expand my operation into digging some test holes down on said bottoms Thanks for advice as always

Same here in my area... I think I have just been too lazy for that kind of digging...ha ha. But if you dig deeper than a foot here it's solid rock and red clay.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It's not hard to identify sites. Find a waterway. Find fairly level ground above flood plane but closest to water. Boom, you found a site. Now was it used for thousands of years by 20 different cultures? Only digging and screening can answer that. The site in this ,case pretty poor.

I know several farm field sites that are exactly as you describe... all have a history of surface and plough finds. What a hoot that would be!

OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people have no understanding of the volume of artifacts in even a marginal site. A 5 acre site with just average occupation will have tens of thousands of points and hundreds of thousands of flakes .

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Most people have no understanding of the volume of artifacts in even a marginal site. A 5 acre site with just average occupation will have tens of thousands of points and hundreds of thousands of flakes .

The numbers involved are crazy. Take something rare like a Folsom point.

The entire Folsom tradition probably lasted 400 years. Lets assume you only had 200 hunters across the entire distribution range (point users, not counting babies, kids, old people, etc.) running around, making, losing and discarding 10 points per year per hunter, for 400 years. There should be 800,000 Folsom points out there. How many have been found? Maybe 15,000 including whole points, bases, and identifiable pieces?

Take some of the later traditions that lasted thousands of years with big populations? The amount of material left to be found is mind blowing, the problem is that it's buried under dirt often buried really deeply.

OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The entire Folsom tradition probably lasted 400 years. Lets assume you only had 200 hunters across the entire distribution range (point users, not counting babies, kids, old people, etc.) running around, making, losing and discarding 10 points per year per hunter, for 400 years. There should be 800,000 Folsom points out there. How many have been found? Maybe 15,000 including whole points, bases, and identifiable pieces?

Take some of the later traditions that lasted thousands of years with big populations? The amount of material left to be found is mind blowing, the problem is that it's buried under dirt often buried really deeply.

Exactly right . Most are scattered across hunting grounds and many feet deep.

Last edited:

GB Paleo

Feb 10, 2017
Out West in the Great Basin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Probably more still buried then have ever been found

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread