Found a Pioneer 101

AFirefighter

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found a Pioneer 101 - Did Some Hunting...

I am looking for my first detector. I don't want too serious of an investment right this moment, so used is where I am looking. If I enjoy it enough I will definitely buy a new unit in the near future.

Is $50 a decent price for this unit?

3E23F43Na5Nf5V25Hbcame59a71dec72d1b17.jpg

3m13F33Jf5N85E45Hecamac2824a8cb3e1b48.jpg

3Kb3L63Jb5G85H85X0cama04cb58fd3431a64.jpg

Thanks all!

I know nothing about metal detectors at the moment.

Edit: Check my post a few down on what I found..

Last edited:

DeerStalker

May 11, 2012
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe I bought mine new at Walmart for $99 many years ago. I still use it. Do yourself a favor though, and grab some headphones. It's a fairly nice little starter unit. Don't expect to find anything really deep unless it's really big!

OP
OP
AFirefighter

AFirefighter

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! First time ever using a metal detector. Used it today during my lunch. Had Sens. at the 12 o'clock, Disc. low, and set to All Metal. Found this:
i-7xKpWRC-XL.jpg

The bolt was 8" deep. The dressing packet was 7" deep. The washer was 6". The tin stuff was around 3". I'm looking more for coins and similar I think, even though this area is very rich in Civil and Revolutionary War history.

Last edited:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
excellent the bolt is about the size of a walking liberty if it was there in stead of the bolt not bad that thing got some guts head phones mite make it sound better.

OP
OP
AFirefighter

AFirefighter

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! I have a blister on my right hand now hah, so gloves will be needed next time. If I'm going mainly for coins should I keep the toggle switch on the left "Disc, the Disc. at 3 o'clock, and then Sens. around 12 o'clock?

NW Digger

Oct 14, 2012
Mason, Ohio (moved from wa)
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, White's XLT, GTI 2500, Ace 250, Titan 2000xd, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used the 202 when i first started, I wanna say that I ran it with sensitivity around 3 o'clock and hardly any disc. Best way to set your disc on these machines is to take a few items that you want discriminated and turn you disc til it stops hitting on them, make sure to have a few good items on hand to make sure you dont disc them out!

HH :)

** edit
The best way to run your sensitivity is as high as you can get it on these machines, without making it chatter or give off false signals.

Last edited:

Ed in SoDak

Jan 15, 2006
I don't have one to check for sure, but I think the disc control is disabled if the switch is in the all-metal position. There's times you'll want to switch back and forth to help ID targets, so it makes it easy to keep your disc setting where you like it and still read all signals at zero disc by flicking the switch. That's easy to test for. Toss down a nail, set the 101 to disc mode, advance the knob till the nail is silent. Now switch to the other modes to check response there. If it shows up again, you know the disc knob is disabled in that mode. -Ed

Last edited:

Ed in SoDak

Jan 15, 2006
Here's another "Tracker" tip. Most owners notice the meter always seems to peg on every target. Actually, it doesn't! If you hit a really faint signal, you may not even hear a tone, but the meter will wiggle instead of pegging. The meter is more sensitive than the audio, but most people ignore the meter since it's "always pegged," meanwhile they're unaware of this "hidden" sensitivity. The downside is you must watch the meter closely to see any movement. But if looking for small objects or really deep ones, it just might pay off for ya! 40 bucks is a good price, BTW, I woulda snapped it up for that. Too many posts about this great old machine to not have one on hand to play with. I've tried a Tracker IV once many years ago, but didn't get much chance to really check it out to see if the legends are true! Too many posts of great finds to doubt it. -Ed

Last edited:
OP
OP
AFirefighter

AFirefighter

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks again all. Still haven't had enough free time to get out there and dig lately. I need to buy one of those nice garden trows lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread