Found a place to get rid of some Ikes

HaveAnyHalves?

Sep 14, 2011
Found a place to get rid of some Ike's

Picked up about $1200 in Ike's from a local bank a while back that REALLY wanted to get rid of them and have been slowly spending them here and there. Make the daughter, 12, take them for lunch money, spend them on gas, paid the electric bill, etc..So yesterday took $300, which fit perfectly in a dime box, to the LCS and traded them for some blemished American Eagles at spot taking advantage of the little dip in silver price. Still have around $400 left though....Could I make any money selling on Craigslist?

Upvote 0

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Found a place to get rid of some Ike's

They sell for $1.40 in my local coin shop. I would bet you could sell them on craigslist for $1.25. Sell a lot of 8 for $10 (or, 4 for $5).

Or, just keep spending them. That is the lowest hassle way to dump them.

Any keepers in $1200?

OP
OP
H

HaveAnyHalves?

Sep 14, 2011

Found absolutely nothing of any significance, and honestly was not expecting to. Pretty much just took them because they have always given me any change I have ever asked for, including the bags off the coin counter, and always ask me if I want the Ike's too, almost like a running joke. $1200 in Ike's is pretty darn heavy!

Might try the selling them in lots on Craigslist and see how much of a burden it is. Do enjoy the reactions I get spending them. Seems as though some cashiers think I am either an idiot or insane for spending them, as they are worth sooo much money. Like why on earth would you spend those?!?... :dontknow: Bought some gas at the Casey's filling station in town with some and the guy behind me in line bought them from the cashier then followed me out to the car and asked if I had any more. Sold him $40 worth.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other

I've got another idea for you.

Pick up a novelty "treasure chest" for $25, http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-...W60U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1316188306&sr=8-2
fill it with $200 in Ikes and sell it for $275. I've thought about doing that to dump halves.

Promote it, for gifting, as an alternative to putting a check, cash, or gc in a greeting card.

Title:
Give the gift of TREASURE.

Description:
Contains: $200 as 200 $1 Eisenhower Coins - circulated large dollar coins of various condition.

This unique gift idea is the perfect alternative to putting a boring check or gift card in a cheesy greeting card that just gets tossed away. Your birthday boy, high school graduate, or other deserving gift recipient will have a blast opening this 10+lb treasure chest that is filled to the point of overflowing with historic large size US dollar coins. They will have even more fun spending these coins of the past.

Because these coins spend like any other dollar, but they are not as easy to squander as big bills, the "moment" will last much longer and be much more memorable as the giftee sees the reaction from store clerks getting these unique large dollar coins.

Even when the dollars are gone, the treasure chest remains as a place for storing future treasures that your loved one finds on their journey through life.
:P

You could mix in president dollars and half dollars for color and size variety.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions