Diver_Down

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is this considered a 1972-d no FG half dollar?

I understand that I was ignorant to the fact about the no "FG" half dollar, since you know about errors more than I do, and I cannot send pictures via. PM, I will post it here, hope you read this.

Also, any other opinions would help as well! (Scanned in 600 dpi for best quality)... do not know what dpi means, but I know it makes better quality scans. (higher MB/GB)

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 609
Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have DD's expertise, but I am fairly certain that to be a "no FG", there has to be absolutely no trace of the initials showing. I can see the initials (although faint and blurry) in your scan. Therefore, I am reasonably certain that you do NOT have a "no FG" coin. Sorry.

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For context, there was comments by diver saying mine was true in this thread, which looks similar to BB's coin: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,423766.0.html

No intention of high jacking your thread Buffalo, but I did come across another coin that looks almost identical to the one pictured here (FG-wise), that I threw back. I'm not even close to an expert so I'm still not positive about mine either.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dossier said:
For context, there was comments by diver saying mine was true in this thread, which looks similar to BB's coin: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,423766.0.html

No intention of high jacking your thread Buffalo, but I did come across another coin that looks almost identical to the one pictured here (FG-wise), that I threw back. I'm not even close to an expert so I'm still not positive about mine either.
I completely understand, the reason I posted this was because of the comment i posted on yours, not being an error coin myself. Like I said, i thought no FG meant "NO FG" , if you know what I mean . not weak FG(Your FG is weaker than mine, but both of ours are slightly visable)

Thanks for your post :)

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
BuffaloBoy said:
dossier said:

I completely understand, the reason I posted this was because of the comment i posted on yours, not being an error coin myself. Like I said, i thought no FG meant "NO FG" , if you know what I mean . not weak FG(Your FG is weaker than mine, but both of ours are slightly visable)

Sorry for the delay. I was at the preview at Sawgrass Marriot for Florida's Annual Unclaimed Property Auction. Tomorrow is the auction, and hopefully tomorrow night, I'll be standing in a mountain of silver.

Anyway, BB, your coin is not a no FG. No trace of the FG should be visible. For some collectors, varying degrees of visibility of the FG is acceptable - obviously with less of a premium. In Dossier's photo, I didn't see any trace of the FG. Perhaps it was the quality of the photos that persuaded my vision. Your coin might still carry a premium if the rest of the coin's devices are a high grade.

Thanks for posting your example. It is always refreshing to see others on the lookout for coins other than silver.

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down said:
BuffaloBoy said:
dossier said:

Sorry for the delay. I was at the preview at Sawgrass Marriot for Florida's Annual Unclaimed Property Auction. Tomorrow is the auction, and hopefully tomorrow night, I'll be standing in a mountain of silver.

Anyway, BB, your coin is not a no FG. No trace of the FG should be visible. For some collectors, varying degrees of visibility of the FG is acceptable - obviously with less of a premium. In Dossier's photo, I didn't see any trace of the FG. Perhaps it was the quality of the photos that persuaded my vision. Your coin might still carry a premium if the rest of the coin's devices are a high grade.

Thanks for posting your example. It is always refreshing to see others on the lookout for coins other than silver.

I just googled the auction and saw the pictures of the available lots - that looks and sounds amazing!!! How does it work exactly? Are they safety deposit boxes up for auction? Does the bidding get real high or can you get these lots for a song? Good luck!!! :thumbsup:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
$ilver$urfer said:
Diver_Down said:

I just googled the auction and saw the pictures of the available lots - that looks and sounds amazing!!! How does it work exactly? Are they safety deposit boxes up for auction? Does the bidding get real high or can you get these lots for a song? Good luck!!! :thumbsup:

HH,

Safety deposit boxes, siezed assets, etc. The state accumulates the assets and attempts to track down the owners. No one claims them items then they are liquidated at auction. The terms restrict some buyers as it is cash or bank certified check. It is difficult to preview as they consolidate individual claims into a larger lot. For example the one lot has 168 90%'ers and 103 40%'ers. It might represent 10 separate safety deposit boxes. I don't bother bidding on the Morgans or the gold lots as it will attract the most attention, and consequently eat up a person's budget. By the time the dime lots roll around, people will pass as they associate the small coin in not having a lot of silver. But when you have 600 Mercs/Rosies, it adds up. I keep my bidding way under melt (5x face).

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down said:
$ilver$urfer said:
Diver_Down said:

HH,

Safety deposit boxes, siezed assets, etc. The state accumulates the assets and attempts to track down the owners. No one claims them items then they are liquidated at auction. The terms restrict some buyers as it is cash or bank certified check. It is difficult to preview as they consolidate individual claims into a larger lot. For example the one lot has 168 90%'ers and 103 40%'ers. It might represent 10 separate safety deposit boxes. I don't bother bidding on the Morgans or the gold lots as it will attract the most attention, and consequently eat up a person's budget. By the time the dime lots roll around, people will pass as they associate the small coin in not having a lot of silver. But when you have 600 Mercs/Rosies, it adds up. I keep my bidding way under melt (5x face).

Awesome!!! Best of luck to you and I hope you make out big! Please share your successes with us on here!!! :thumbsup:

HH,

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is always that one person at auctions that has all the money and does not care, they get enjoyment from bidding people up who cannot afford as much. Keep an eye out for them, and don't get carried away.

I agree, let us know how you did! :hello2:

dougbfromnorthga

Apr 10, 2011
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon & Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That auction looked AWSOME...Doug

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I will update this thread with a link when I get the time to post some photos on a new thread in a different forum on TNet - afterall it isn't about CRH'ing. But I will say this, 57 Troy Ounces in Qtrs. I haven't finished counting the dimes.

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down said:
I will update this thread with a link when I get the time to post some photos on a new thread in a different forum on TNet - afterall it isn't about CRH'ing. But I will say this, 57 Troy Ounces in Qtrs. I haven't finished counting the dimes.

Cannot wait to hear your results!!! :thumbsup:

HH,

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I added right, one lot had (132) 90% and (38) 40% with a reserve of $228.25

WOW

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
legend76 said:
If I added right, one lot had (132) 90% and (38) 40% with a reserve of $228.25

WOW

I'll be updating this thread with a link to a new thread discussing the Auction. Just to be brief, the lots are comprised of various unclaimed property from different owners. They (Fisher's Auction - contracted by the state) compiles them to assist in moving the most in the shortest amount of time. A short timeline - Banks have to hold items for 3 years before turning over to the state; The state holds them for 2 years; Fisher then assembles the lots and the lots are still held by the state for 3 years. The lots are valued at that time with the reserve price. This is the starting price. It doesn't not mean the items sell for this amount.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread