Found a really old Silver Ring

Pauln

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back from my favorite park. Hunted there a ton of times but this was the first silver I have found there.
Looks really only. Doesn't even say 9.25 but on the back says "sterling" was about 5 inches and interested sized via a cut

Does anyone know when sliver started to be identified as 9.25? Or have any idea how old this ring may be? It was an older park.

I am very excited to find a ring so old. Just wish I could identify more info on it. Thanks guys.

IMG_5596.JPGIMG_5598.JPGIMG_5600.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 8
good luck with that.

I tried looking that up also, there is not a definitive date as I remember, somewhere around the 20,'s I think. Just Google it

Your ring is a Mexican silver piece. Underneath the "STERLING" stamp, you can see a partial "HECHO EN MEXICO" (made in Mexico). It has a Mayan Calendar motif, and was made most likely between the 1950's and 1970's.

Nice ring.

I'm pretty sure its an AZTEK calendar. Nice ring

Also, the word "Sterling" as a designator of silver content, goes back hundreds of years, starting in the British Empire. It is thought to have originated with a colloquial use of the word "Easterlings" (German silversmiths who brought some measure of standardization to the content of silver in the British Isles).

Both the 925 designation and the Sterling designation date WAY back.

Nice ring find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back