Found A Small Army Of Coca Cola Bottles

MilitariaCollector

Dec 17, 2008
Found a huge bottle dump out in the woods. Didnt even have to really dig any. Was walking on bottles most of the time. Must of been a trash dump at one point. There were hundreds of soles of old leather shoes, early plastic doll heads, about 10 empty early plastic/vinyl wallets, and a few old license plates. Kind of strange to seeing all the shoes, doll heads, and wallets. I also found a charga-plate (early credit card) from the 1940's. It was from Bambergers department store. The other bottles in the photo are other brands of soda I found as well. I think the coca cola bottles date from the 40's-50's.

Attachments

• 0011.jpg
    0011.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 522
  • 0055.jpg
    0055.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 516
Upvote 0

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
Don't let the era put you off..

From the items you've mentioned it looks like a commercial site. I have the same situation excavating Boroslavy Canyon in Trona,Ca. Commercial sites mean lots of soda bottle,lots of liquor bottles,etc. Eiether dig the site a bit deeper or move away a few feet and you may find personal sites. Look for butcher shop-cut bones,ceramics,Depression Era colered pieces of broken glass. And marbles that don't look like today's store bought marbles. And dinnerware. Spoons mostly but some forks and knives,too. What you want are sites where oldsters dumped their personal,daily living trash. Websearch what you find on Google and Ebay. I suggest you websearch Middle Easter or Israili 'Tells'. Civilizations even relatively modern ones were built upon previous civilizations. I know that me here in this desert ghost town works the soil down thru onionskins of changing environment dating back more than 10,000 years ago into 1875 to 1954. Don't let anyone tell you that what you're digging up is just junk.

OP
OP
M

MilitariaCollector

Dec 17, 2008
Actually, that seems to make alot of sense now. I think you are right about this being a commercial site. There were loads of bottles, like clorox bottles, little white makeup jars, liquor bottles, etc. I also did find alot of silverware, broken dishes, a few cups, etc.

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
Immerse the silverware in white 5% viniger..

You'll see tiny bubbles arising from the silverware. Leave it immersed for several hours then clean it under your kitchen sink faucet using one of those soapy Brillo pads. Wipe the artifact clean with a paoer towel then look on the spoon,forks,etc's backside and you'll see the manufacturer's markings. Then websearch it on Google. You'll be astonished at the history. This so-called treasure hunting opens worlds of multidmensional conceptualization. As we drive or walk thru small towns and large cities we see businesses large and small and products of immensities. It is the smallest of things we absorb from the artifacts we find one way or another that speak from the past to the present of the people long turned to dust who made all that we see today on store shelves came to be. There's far more to what we do than just looking for 'neat stuff'. It is a hands-on voyage thru time. History lessons not taught in school by a bored instructor.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
make sure to check all the coke bottles for the christmas bottles they are about 15 to 20 bucks a pop :thumbsup: will have the DEC 25, 1923 on them

Attachments

• Photo012.jpg
    Photo012.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 341

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread