Found a "U.S" Embossed Pocket Knife Today. Military Issue? WWII? WWI? Any Ideas?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a "U.S" Embossed Pocket Knife Today. Military Issue? WWII? WWI? Any Ideas?

Found a crusty pocket knife in the woods today. It's 3" long and only 1/4" thick. Looked like the outer wooden handles were rotted off, so I just stuffed it my pocket and didn't really check it out. But when I got home and cleaned it up, I realized it was a very thin knife with "U.S." embossed on the sides. It also has stars going around the outer edges of the sides. Is this some sort of military issue knife? Could be a cool find or maybe it's just junk. Any input would be appreciated.

DSC05923.JPG DSC05922.JPG

Upvote 17

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The brass patina is already flaking, so I'm not messing with it. Let's just call it a cool find and move on. I bought a Riker case for it and now it will sit in my drawer until the day I die. Someone will find it after I'm gone and say "What a piece of junk!" and throw it away. That's the reality of this hobby. My treasured relics will someday be viewed as trash to throw away...

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife found one almost like that at our civil war camp site.

JimK

Attachments

• photo 2 (11).JPG
    photo 2 (11).JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 75

capsmith

Jan 10, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never found a brass item that the patina flakes off like that.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife found one almost like that at our civil war camp site.

JimK
I found an American Knife like that on a Civil war site, and another larger one on a house site in Pennsylvania.

Attachments

• American Knife.JPG
    American Knife.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 72

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen all types of military issue hand tools, but I've never known the modern military to issue pocket knives. That said, I would love to be proven wrong. Anyway, nice find!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never found a brass item that the patina flakes off like that

Really? Here's a photo of my brass powder flask that I found in the same area. It started flaking as soon as it started to dry. Maybe it's the soil conditions around here that does it. It also does it with large cents, which is very annoying!

1800's flask 11.JPG

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife found one almost like that at our civil war camp site

Very nice! Funny how most of these have turned up at Civil War sites. Maybe some sort of connection there? LOL!

JJ1965

Jul 27, 2016
Blythewood, SC
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice! Funny how most of these have turned up at Civil War sites. Maybe some sort of connection there? LOL!

I am thinking that these knives must have been carried by people who look for and recover items from civil war sites. They fill their pockets with legit Civil War relics, and then unwittingly drop their knives before they clear the scene. Sounds legit to me. Perhaps the knives were issued by the Civil War Relic Recovery Association, circa 1928??? That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post deleted, XRaywolf, please post by our rules....

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Really? Here's a photo of my brass powder flask that I found in the same area. It started flaking as soon as it started to dry. Maybe it's the soil conditions around here that does it. It also does it with large cents, which is very annoying!

View attachment 1351829

Dude you are just full of good finds.

Got anymore cool artifacts. This thing is way cool man.

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this after asking on a knife forum.

"I saw that knife in Tnet I believe? It looks like the logo for Edward Barnes of Sheffield, England who made knives from the 1830s-1880s. He is more known for his bowie style knives rather than inexpensive little folding knives, but he was a fairly large firm, making a rather complete line of knives. Knife has no US military association, it is his logo he used to attract US customers."

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did find an Edward Barnes knife very similar to mine, but the US and star aren't raised up like they are on my knife. The knife I found with a Google image search sold on eBay for $127.50 and was touted as being a possible Civil War era knife. He did also mention that it could have been made from 1833-88.

523452468_tp.jpg

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude you are just full of good finds. Got anymore cool artifacts. This thing is way cool man

If you want to see most of my better finds, you can check out my metal detecting videos on YouTube. Just do a search for "SkynyrdTim" or "Metal Detecting Rhode Island". I currently have 18 metal detecting videos uploaded.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
If you want to see most of my better finds, you can check out my metal detecting videos on YouTube. Just do a search for "SkynyrdTim" or "Metal Detecting Rhode Island". I currently have 18 metal detecting videos uploaded.

Yeah I would love to see your other finds; but dude I have no idea how to use youtube and I have maxed out on looking like a tard for the month in asking my kids about youtube.

Do you have a link maybe.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did find an Edward Barnes knife very similar to mine, but the US and star aren't raised up like they are on my knife. The knife I found with a Google image search sold on eBay for $127.50 and was touted as being a possible Civil War era knife. He did also mention that it could have been made from 1833-88.

View attachment 1351992

FBT... what was the search "term" which kicked that pic ?

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stated there were NO pocket knives issued to US army troops before WW2. Navy is not army and I am well aware of the earlier US Navy knives. FBT's knife was made by Edward Barnes, the U*S was his trademark/logo, and some were stamped in and some raised, it doesn't matter, it was his registered trademark. It is a cool find but there can be no positive CW association attributed to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I stated there were NO pocket knives issued to US army troops before WW2. Navy is not army and I am well aware of the earlier US Navy knives. FBT's knife was made by Edward Barnes, the U*S was his trademark/logo, and some were stamped in and some raised, it doesn't matter, it was his registered trademark. It is a cool find but there can be no positive CW association attributed to it.

Ummm...here's your quote with a ton of misinformation about trouser pockets and saying most pocket knives are not Civil War related. Your words not mine and you clearly say THEY WERE NEVER MADE FOR THE MILITARY! ----

"I am not trying to be a stick in the mud here, but if the knife was found in RI it was likely just purchased and lost there. These were never made for the military, sorry Tim, I repeat NEVER. They were just cheap pocket knives with a patriotic logo and likely made well after the war. I see many many posts here about pocket knives found on battlefields, yet have been able to identify most of them as 1900s knives. Remember, most pants at the time of the CW and for some time afterwards didn't have pockets! I do not recall ever seeing pockets on CW Union GI trousers. Most of those battlefields had plenty of hunting and farming activity before and after the war, and many things lost there before and after the war. We find minie balls regularly here in NY state, doesn't meant they are CW at all. "

I love it when someone's words are left previously like this. lol

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Members, please post by our rules, no insults and NO talking down to other members just because you disagree with them...

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread