🥇 BANNER Found an awesome coin spill today

U

umrgolf

Found an awesome coin spill today (Video added)

(I've posted close-ups of all the coins in reply 65 per hogge's request. Turns out, the 1843 has a die crack on the reverse known as the "Lightning Bolt")

I was gonna wait to post this til tomorrow because I haven't even started putting the video together yet :laughing7: Anyway, today I returned to the site where I found the CS tongue and continued my search for the wreath, and certainly didn't expect this.

I was in a little corner about 70 yards from the spot where the CS buckle came from and my first target was the brass ring seen in the first photo. The next signal, about 2 feet away, was bouncing around like a bullet. I dug down about 7 inches and was surprised to see a nice 1857 seated dime come out of the bottom. So I got back up and starting scanning the immediate area and 5 feet away, BAM a signal banging on 88!! Before digging it, I scanned a little more to satisfy my curiousity and BAM, another signal hitting around 88!! So I dug that second signal first and at around 7 inches (again) it turned out to be a dateless Carolus IIII 2 reales. I went back to the previous signal and dug it out, also at 7 inches, and it was the 1856-O half dollar. So after all the excitement of the first three coins, I scanned the small area once more to find no more obvious signals and began expanding outwards. About 15 feet from the half dollar signal I got a very weak bullet-like signal very similar to the first dime. I dug it out at yet again 7 inches and it turned out to be an 1858 halfdime. Another three feet from that signal, BAM another high 80's signal at 7 inches that turned out to be the 1843 quarter. And last but not least, I went back over to the area where I found the first three and got a very IRONY blip and found the last coin, an 1857 quarter at about a foot deep.

If you did read the last sentence, it gives me very good reason to believe there are more coins to be found at this spot. Thanks for looking.

-Jeff

Sorry this video took so long! I tried to upload it to youtube twice yesterday and finally got it on round 3 :laughing9:

1858 halfdime
1857 dime
1843 quarter
1857 quarter
dateless Carolus IIII 2 reales
1856-O half dollar

Attachments

• IMG_1012.JPG
    IMG_1012.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_1014.JPG
    IMG_1014.JPG
    197 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_1013.JPG
    IMG_1013.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_1015.JPG
    IMG_1015.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 728
  • IMG_1019.JPG
    IMG_1019.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 575
  • IMG_1028.JPG
    IMG_1028.JPG
    244.4 KB · Views: 738
  • IMG_1029.JPG
    IMG_1029.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 672
Last edited:
Upvote 31

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GREAT FINDS!!!! CONGRATULATIONS. I see that railroad spike there could you be digging where an old train station was? Go get some more. HH

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Moly Batman!!!! Super finds! Congrats!!!

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saw this post, Killer Coin Spill!
Kudos on the Banner, love the depth you're getting!
Carl

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Wanted to thank you all again for looking and leaving comments... I finally finished getting the video uploaded to youtube after 3 tries :BangHead:

If anyone who reads this knows why you can edit the title but it doesn't show up on the board ??? On my thread it says (video added) but that doesn't appear on today's finds

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What everyone neglected to mention is that there is probably more there for the talking.

Me? I go in with a backhoe and clean that place out :laughing7:

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go Jeff! GREAT find and GREAT banner finds! Congratulations :) Breezie

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on your 'treasure finds' Jeff! :occasion14:
Hope there's more where this came from!

Dave

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome! Perhaps a sutlers tent at a fort. Generally, in 1850's Florida; the paymaster would travel from Tampa (Ft. Brooke) and visit each post, paying the soldiers. The sutler traveled with or followed the paymaster setting up shop. Years ago, I researched and located a site where a friend and I dug over 200 military buttons in two years. We found an area of the fort where three 1857 SL dimes were dug in 10 minutes. It was either the sutlers tent or that of the paymaster. A fourth 1857 SL dime was found about 50-ft away on a later hunt. The coins given to the soldiers came directly from the mint. When dug 130+ years later, they were graded as X-F. I found a second coin spill on the south side of the fort which included an 1851 trime; 1854 SL half dime; an 1824 large cent (worn); and a woman's silver ring. The officers were allowed to bring their wife and children into the field, at some posts. Eventually, I found a three more 1854 SL half dimes-scattered about with relics; and one 1853 half dime. Only one SL quarter came from the site, found by another individual about 15 years after with the help of new detector technology. These soldiers left Florida to your area in the mid-late 1850's to put down the Mormon conflict and another debacle in NW Iowa. Congratulations--forget about boring yourself with numbers on a metal detector. Dig by sound and investigate every signal. Not only will it increase your productivity; it too, will place you on a trash dump of 1850's bottles, ceramics and clay tobacco pipes. I experienced that--but that is another story.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Awesome spot!

So - if you're like me, you'll be trying to figure out where that stuff came from. Do you think that was a Civil War time frame?

BTW, banner vote from me.

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

I agree Spartacus. I may have gotten them all, but I highly doubt it.
Thank you Breezie and Hamid :occasion14:.. Dave, appreciate it. I hope there's a few more left too :headbang:

Awesome! Perhaps a sutlers tent at a fort. Generally, in 1850's Florida; the paymaster would travel from Tampa (Ft. Brooke) and visit each post, paying the soldiers. The sutler traveled with or followed the paymaster setting up shop. Years ago, I researched and located a site where a friend and I dug over 200 military buttons in two years. We found an area of the fort where three 1857 SL dimes were dug in 10 minutes. It was either the sutlers tent or that of the paymaster. A fourth 1857 SL dime was found about 50-ft away on a later hunt. The coins given to the soldiers came directly from the mint. When dug 130+ years later, they were graded as X-F. I found a second coin spill on the south side of the fort which included an 1851 trime; 1854 SL half dime; an 1824 large cent (worn); and a woman's silver ring. The officers were allowed to bring their wife and children into the field, at some posts. Eventually, I found a three more 1854 SL half dimes-scattered about with relics; and one 1853 half dime. Only one SL quarter came from the site, found by another individual about 15 years after with the help of new detector technology. These soldiers left Florida to your area in the mid-late 1850's to put down the Mormon conflict and another debacle in NW Iowa. Congratulations--forget about boring yourself with numbers on a metal detector. Dig by sound and investigate every signal. Not only will it increase your productivity; it too, will place you on a trash dump of 1850's bottles, ceramics and clay tobacco pipes. I experienced that--but that is another story.

Wow, you could be right on. Never thought of that at all. Without going in to too much detail, it would make perfect sense for this site :thumbsup: Before this spill there had been a nice 1861 quarter I found back in March about 100 feet from the spill site. Then a week before, my friend found an 1856 dime a 100 yards away. The only other coins were a toasted large cent and 1859 Indian cent, both about 75 yards away, also back in March. I really don't pay as much attention to the numbers as my post might have eluded to, on a site like this I dig everything above a nail, and sometimes even the nail signals that sound iffy. Congrats on your previous discoveries, sounds like you did your homework to find those.

Wow! Awesome spot!

So - if you're like me, you'll be trying to figure out where that stuff came from. Do you think that was a Civil War time frame?

BTW, banner vote from me.

Thanks for the vote, its on the banner with the picture of them in my hand. Honestly, I'm not sure about this spill. With the halfdime being the newest coin at 1858, it looks like it saw almost zero circulation, as well as the other three dated 1856 and 1857. There was quite a bit of CW activity in this field though too, so that is a possibility.

Last edited:

davehky

Jan 3, 2007
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 garrette pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! You got a detecters dream hunt!!!:headbang:

Ace 250

Jul 8, 2012
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thos coin are woth a lot of cash.WHAT the date:icon_scratch: :occasion18:

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
How COOL is that!!!!! Congrats on the awesome spill!

TommNJ

elksteaks

Greenie
Aug 30, 2012
Southeastern Idaho
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
This is absolutely awesome!! I probably would have only got one out of the ground because I would have had a heart attack. Inspirational find, hopefully some day I will pull a seated.

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Wow. I can't imagine your excitement in digging these coins one after another. Thank you for sharing the video so we could experience it with you. Congratulations on your incredible hunt!

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions