Found an Unknown Wreck

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an unknown wreck in the Great Lakes but not sure what to do about it ?
Depending on the ship and its cargo the State may lay claims to it and the conservation ship wreck group will get a grant and claim everything I feel. They were bugging me trying to get me to tell them where it is but I refused so they started citing salvage right laws and permitting fees to me. :icon_pirat:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just walk away. Every shipwreck in the GL is protected and taking anything off of it will land you in jail if caught. Dive it, enjoy it as a piece of history, and see if the archies will pay you for the location.

seek09er

Jan 31, 2007
You are already in contact with someone representing the state?

The Great Lakes have very strict laws on maritime salvage, but there are many things you can do.
Michigan has a reputation for bullying the individual and will pressure you to do what they want.
If you have a serious interest, I can put you in contact with knowledgeable residents that have a complete understanding of your rights.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
get hold of the dept of natural resources for your state or the state nearest the wreck site, you will need to talk to the states underwater archaeologist. you never know what might happen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread