Found and 1840s privy today behind an 1840s house today. Should I dig it?

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I got permission yesterday to metal detect a yard on 1840s house... Nothing but trash but this caught my attention... Looks like a privy... :laughing7: full of goodies! Ok I will let the pictures do the talking. Have you note this was the richest town in Indiana during the 1840s.... DSC00678.JPG DSC00679.JPG DSC00686.JPG DSC00688.JPG You can clearly see the original cut stone, where it goes from modern concrete to cut stone and round... So I would say this is a good find for the day... just my 2 cents.... I will dig later some time.

Upvote 8
OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a few hours today to explore further down.. Here I am down at about 3' and my 6' probe is buried to hand handle. DSC00691.JPG Made it to about 5' and any further we would need a ladder,, right about where the danger zone begins. Nothing yet but will be back tomorrow keep going...

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC00698.JPG my shovel is at about 5' level.. DSC00697.JPG DSC00699.JPG
I took a few hours today to explore further down.. Here I am down at about 3' and my 6' probe is buried to hand handle. View attachment 1450121 Made it to about 5' and any further we would need a ladder,, right about where the danger zone begins. Nothing yet but will be back tomorrow keep going...

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't be afraid, just use your common sense. Don't undercut stuff or leave hanging walls.

Start digging and take her to the bottom, and you will climb out of that first pit a transcended digger. You are in the big leagues now, and it's much different than grubbing in grass roots for dirty wheat pennies. Ha!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ! Thanks for the pics and the round by round , I can't wait to see what you uncover down there !!!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having participated in a well dig many years ago....I would suggest digging it like you are looking for bottles, but haul ALL of the excavated material out in a truck to sift for coins later.
A single coin can make it worth the effort.

You can then fill with sand (which can be easily compacted with a hose). A 6" thick reinforced concrete slab is another option.
I too want to see some old bottles.

Also remember in town settings, it is very common to have a series of holes side by side.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having participated in a well dig many years ago....I would suggest digging it like you are looking for bottles, but haul ALL of the excavated material out in a truck to sift for coins later.
A single coin can make it worth the effort.

You can then fill with sand (which can be easily compacted with a hose). A 6" thick reinforced concrete slab is another option.
I too want to see some old bottles.

Also remember in town settings, it is very common to have a series of holes side by side.

I sift when I can and this will be one... Yes I agree there more holes around or how should I put it,, more permissions... Thanks everyone for the positive comments, we hope to hit the "use layer" tomorrow.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info, thanks for sharing.

Also if you know a little civil war history Morgans Raid... That's was one of his goals, to cause problems around Madison Ind.. They came with in 5 miles to the north from town then headed east... Neat history!

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would dig it, just take your time and be careful. :headbang:

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'Can't wait to see what comes out of there, keep us all posted over in the Bottles & Glass forum!

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'Can't wait to see what comes out of there, keep us all posted over in the Bottles & Glass forum!

Will do, in morning

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ! Thanks for the pics and the round by round , I can't wait to see what you uncover down there !!!

That's my intention... Sorry monitors some time it take more then a day to get to the finds...

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH HECK YA!!!!! DIG......DIG IT !!!!!!!!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sift when I can and this will be one... Yes I agree there more holes around or how should I put it,, more permissions... Thanks everyone for the positive comments, we hope to hit the "use layer" tomorrow.

I didn't mean other holes next door or down the street. It was very common when the outhouse started getting filled up, they would dig a hole next to the building, then pick it up and move it over the new hole. The old hole, then became a place to dump whatever was available as it settled.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't mean other holes next door or down the street. It was very common when the outhouse started getting filled up, they would dig a hole next to the building, then pick it up and move it over the new hole. The old hole, then became a place to dump whatever was available as it settled.

This one I am currently working most likely the main pit or most used for this property.. Its stone lined and deep.. This town had some rules about privies back in the day.. They also had the "honey dipper' crews around that would clean them from time to time.. Don't see many wood liners in this town. Well more to come this evening, we hope to hit use layer this afternoon. Or other side of the coin it could hold not much at all.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Todays finds consist of one 1850s pontil bottle,, no embossing or writing on it but still way cool! also found this jug but it is much newer, early 1900s.. We are do to about 7' level with more to come.. DSC00709.JPG DSC00710.JPG DSC00716.JPG Most bottles made in the United States before the 1850s, when the snap case tool virtually replaced the pontil rod (also called the punte or punty), have a pontil mark on their bases. The mark is formed when a bottle is transferred from the blowpipe to the pontil rod, which, unlike the blowpipe, is solid. Known as empontilling, this transfer allows the glassblower to form and finish the bottle’s mouth or bore. Though no longer used in glass manufacturing, this technique is still used in art glass today.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pontil mark...good...Applied lip?

I'd be putting that dirt in the garden.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread