Found Coca cola medal!!! (updated 6/14/06)

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
I found a medal today in an area of construction in middle Georgia. On one side is an eagle and in blue around it are the words "America First." On the other side it says: "Drink Coca Cola in Bottles, Delicious and Refreshing, (City) Coca-Cola Bottling Co." It is about the size of a half dollar.

Today 6/14/06, I took the medal to the county historical museum and I showed the lady and asked her about the coca cola bottling plant in town. She gasped and asked if I was willing to sell it. I told her that I didn't go there to sell it and hadn't really thought about it. I was just looking for more information on it. The medal could be anywhere from 60-80 years old. Anywho, while I was there I met a dude that had a silver coin dated 1783. On one side it had a bust and it said Carolus III. I told the woman I would think about some type of deal and me and the dude went to some metal detecting sites. When we were done (I found some modern coins and the back to an old watch) I went back to the museum and traded the coca cola medal for a new copy of "The pictorial history of XXXXX County Georgia." They were selling them for $27. I feel like I got a great deal.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
Re: Found Coca cola medal!!!

Old, old, old. Probably made when Coca Cola had coca in it.

OP
OP
R

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
I modified the original post but it didn't bump. I thought you guys would be interested in the latest.

OP
OP
R

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
Top dollar? Do you have a ballpark figure?

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't EVER sell anything until you know the value of it!!!!

If they asked you right away if you were willing to sell it, then it probably had some value and they were probably tickled to death that they could trade you a book for it. I don't know much about them.... but if they were that anxious to get their hands on it, I wouldn't doubt if it were $100 or more at the low end.

I deal in antiques, and we pray on people like you who come in not knowing anything about what they have. I have gotten some nice items from people who don't know what they have. I let them make all offers though. I figure that they have the chance to find out the value of it, they just need to go to the library and get on the computer and do some research.

I'm not saying it was valuable, but an old coca cola item that is rare could fetch thousands of $$$ to the right collector....

OP
OP
R

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
bscofield6, point taken. But the town I live in was established in the early 1800's, BEFORE Atlanta was a town. This lady runs the historical museum and was telling me all the places to go to hunt!!! What is more valuable than that? I am happy with the transaction and I think she is also. Plus we established a relationship. She was giving me all kinds of kick butt tips of where to go. She even said I could hunt the grounds of the historical museum and that building has been there forever.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ringding said:
bscofield6, point taken. But the town I live in was established in the early 1800's, BEFORE Atlanta was a town. This lady runs the historical museum and was telling me all the places to go to hunt!!! What is more valuable than that? I am happy with the transaction and I think she is also. Plus we established a relationship. She was giving me all kinds of kick butt tips of where to go. She even said I could hunt the grounds of the historical museum and that building has been there forever.

I bet you still could have gotten that information without trading her that token/medal. Not trying to insult you are anything, but let's just pray that you didn't let go of a goodie that she could retire off of.

Some of my best finds are items that the owner doesn't realize they have and I get them for fractions of their actual value... Hopefully you get some goodies from the museum though! :):):)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread