found gold in a little brown bottle

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
while poking around in an old mining camp... I found a old brown bottle... I open the lid and saw the gold.... some old miner lost his stash.... if I didn't collect old bottles... I would have walked right by it.... I would post a picture but I can't get it to upload.... I'll keep trying to post a picture... I don't like how they made this new site.... especially with the advertisement below all the comments...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Out doing some prospecting a couple years ago, I was in a wash near a road and noticed a pile of about 8 low base shot shells all in one pile. Not where someone would normally practice shooting, and I don't know many birds that will stay in the same place long enough for 8 shot shells all to get piled up in the same spot within inches of each other. About 40 feet away was a flat spot where someone had taken a bobcat and scooped up a scoop of the surface dirt. Dunno for sure but the first thing that crossed my mind was someone salting gold. I would think though that a lot of that gold would ricochet off and scatter and be lost though. Never really tried it to see. I guess I could take some buckshot and hit some dirt with it and see how much stayed in the dirt.

Something that most people who might purchase a claim might be unaware of, specifically of relevance to hard rock mines, is that a water soluble solution of gold chloride (gold dissolved in aqua regia called gold chloride) can be diluted down and poured over some rock outcrop and it will go down the cracks and dry out. It really can't be seen as it just looks like gunk that gets caught in cracks anyhow afterwards. And it doesn't look like metallic gold. But when someone takes that to a lab for assay and fire it, it will definitely show up in the assay! I am sure there are other things that can be used like gold oxide (yes my friends gold has an oxide). But a lot of good labs will test for soluble salts of gold too.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread