Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found gold -silver and other "junk"without a MD

Well,this forum has come through again as a useful tool for learning.A while back someone posted a thread about" junkyard finds".I don't remember how many replies it got ( I think I may have replied,didn't check)anyhow,I went hunting today at a junkyard.I was out of town for the weekend at a friends house about 130 miles north of me.As luck would have it(for me)his old truck broke an axle and we ended up going to an old junkyard for parts,it is a small town so he knows the owner and everyone else in town.As my friend and the junkyard guy were busy with pulling off another axle,I remembered someone's post on here about junkyards.I asked if he minded if I went scrounging around in some of the old cars and he said "go ahead just don't break anything on 'em".So off I went,about an hour later, the axle already loaded in my truck,they came and got me.In 1-hour I fornd almost 5 bucks in clad-a sterling ring with an elephant on it-1 earring marked 14k/with jade stone-3 keychain fobs(1-lions club,1-chevrolet,1-miami dolphins)-an aluminum coin marked mardi-gras universal studios-another aluminum coin marked sunoco dx coin series 1 on one side and 1912 simplex speedster on the other-a 5-franc coin-4-wheatbacks and a 1953 nickel and oh yeah last but not least a goldtone button w/silver colored emblem on it (I can't make out what it is yet).You wnt to know the best part of it-I didn't have to dig a single pulltab or nail or aluminum foil,yeah I had a load of fun in that hour,I didn't want to leave because there were still too many cars to search through,oh well ,alas all good things must come to an end.That's alright though,i'll just have to visit this friend again in the near future.It was a good day!good luck and H.H.

Attachments

• junkyard finds-1.jpg
    junkyard finds-1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,333
  • junkyard finds-2.jpg
    junkyard finds-2.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,310
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found gold -silver and other "junk"without a MD

Yes, Junkyards, can be a goldmine. ;) Congrats .............;jeff

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX

better than i did this week ;D congrats!!!

HH Good luck Mark

J

Jim Cal

Hey that is a novel approach to treasure hunting and from the photos you made a haul. I have never thought about junkyards but will now. Good job! Jim Cal

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Spend a day at a U-Pull Jim. ;)

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

onionhead said:
Looks like you had a great time! Can you post close up of those rings?

Onion Just one ring Onion,here it is-

Attachments

• the ring.jpg
    the ring.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,280
D

Darod

Nice stuff!

Jeff has got made an interesting comment there! There's a U-Pull near my father's place, maybe I'll pay them a visit :)

Rod

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

just tell them you wanna look for some parts. then spend the day, going from car to car. on your way out, maby show them a couple items you picked up & ask if they want anything for them. (Unless you actually need a Part of course) the change you find should more then pay for the other cool finds. I don't know what they would say IF you said you wanna go search for money :)

treasurebum1

Jan 12, 2005
flora ms.
Detector(s) used
whites dfx garrett gti2500 whites vision

;D YES TREASURE IS WHERE YOU FIND IT

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah,there's a u-pull it down here but the HAITIANS have picked it clean.This was a- they pull it yard,but since my friend knows everyone in his town,the cars weren't pilfered through.I bet I didn't even go through maybe 25-30 cars.Thanks everyone for the comments.Good luck and H.H.-DIGGUMMUP

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II

Just when you think you've read it all.....Great day Dig! That's some serious Th'ing. All the sights, all the sounds, all the smells!!! You must of had a blast. Keep findin' any way you can ;) ~CO2

Talos

Dec 10, 2004

The employees at a local scrap yard go through the vehicles thoroughly before they are junked. They find coins, paper money, jewelry, etc. I guess nothing gets past them. Did I ever tell you about the old DeSoto car I found sitting out in the woods in practically the middle of nowhere? That was strange. It was in pretty decent shape, too, with the decorative hood ornament (featuring Hernando DeSoto, the Spanish explorer) intact.

sparkymaster

Feb 21, 2005
South Ogden, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX-XLT-M-6

I've hunted through cars at junk yards before myself. I always check the hose's that go from the defrost vents on the dash to the air box behind the dash. There is almost alway a treasure or two in there, especially in the older cars. Under the back seat and under the carpet is also a good place to check. Great finds and good luck with you hunting future expeditions.

sparkymaster.

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2

That was some quick thinking amigo. Always got to be quick to sieze a chance at finding $$$. WTG

AceVillav

jimbob450

Feb 26, 2008
spokane,wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic I.D.

I found a set of handcuffs ina a wrecked car-
with the keys ,at a wrecking yard once. Jim

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

wrecked cars often have stuff in them --I was the poster or one of them at least that talked about this --- I have found jewelry --money --guns -- and other "things" -- both legal and not so legal -- money and guns & other stuff (like dope) can be left behind in cars --check out -- storage spots in the consule between the seats --glove boxes -- under seats ---closed ash tray holders --- on the top of the visor --- in the trunk ,in the hidden wheel well -- and these are just the tip of the iceburg -- dopers often have cars with built in secert storeage compartments built into em (often in the doors or truck area)-- in fact in florida its against the law to modify a car this way.

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500

: Cool finds!
Joe

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great post! I did the same thing as a kid (30 yrs ago!) My Dad visited many old junk car yards in S. Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois and of course I was always with him. I loved the junk yards; while Dad was pulling off parts for the 1958 Chev Impala that he was restoring, I was pulling up back seats in the old cars! I found so many coins that I had to empty my pockets and go back for more!

Wish I had photos of my finds but we didn't think of it at the time...

AlaskaAng

Mike Moutray

Nov 18, 2007
St. Louis, MO. / Naples, FL.
Detector(s) used
Explorer2/Excalibur

I've been rooting through junk cars since I was old enough to drive. Every time I went to the yard for a part for my beater, I'd snoop through the old cars while I was there. Over the years I've found silver coins, gold/diamond rings, tons of coins and other assorted items. The yard employees go through the trunks and under the seats first, but don't get much deeper than that. I've always done good under the center consoles between the front seats.... stuff finds their way down there somehow.... especially under park brake levers. I pulled a console off one car and found 12.00 in change and a pair of gold earrings. Being an auto mechanic, I have a little insight on the best places in a car to look and how to get it apart. The really old cars with original carpet in them are sometimes worth the effort to pull the carpet up from under the front seats, you'd be surprised how far under carpeting coins can creep over the years. I guess a true treasure hunter dreams up all kinds of places to look! Another great place to look is the traps in the canister vacuums at the car washes. If your allergies can stand the dust, that is. I just scoop out the dirt/coins/etc. and empty into buckets, take it home to dump onto screens and hose off the dirt, leaving behind the coins. I find lots of earrings this way... none with diamonds yet, but that is a good possibility. Take care, Mike.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread